SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:49 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,377 Posts
He looks well pleased with himself.And so he should be.A successful flight with yourself watching on.Row you are a lucky man.
Regards to both Stuart.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:01 PM
internet gadfly
Colorado
Joined Aug 2006
2,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post

Landing was flat and speed reasonable -- no wind to speak of this morning.

Nice flight Row - hope to get out with you again

My best and thanks
That man is clearly having a good weekend. Nice plane + nice park + good flight + praise from a real aeronautical engineer = fantastic Saturday morning!

--Norm
nmasters is offline Find More Posts by nmasters
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,488 Posts
Herk I was honored to fly with you this morning. Hope to have more fun times and thanks for your input made a lot of sense to my unscientific brain and Yes would love to get out and fly some wings..

it was great to see the little wing and the Plank

I figured out why it was spinning so much i forgot(well it was too early and the caffeine didnt kick in until later) I changed out the prop to a foldable prop with spinner and well that added a little weight on the back. well for the second flight i moved the battery pack 7mm forward and wala flew super.
Nelapaty is offline Find More Posts by Nelapaty
Last edited by Nelapaty; Jul 14, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:33 PM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
This thread has been inactive for a while so I figured I'd bring it back to the top to show my Nurfluegel and report its successful maiden and 2nd flights. It's not as original as many of the models here but it one that has been in my build queue for awhile. It is a Klingberg Wing built from an original kit purchased here on RCGroups. I have no slopes around here and didn't want to chance a highstart first flight so I made up the power pod defined in the plans and mounted a small outrunner (self wound dual CustomCDR if anyone remembers those). I mounted two servos in the wings instead of the pushrods and with the motor mounted I had to use a 3 cell 2100 Lipo and receiver battery to balance it, but still came to 30.4 oz for 650sq inches that worked pretty well as it is a floater with a wing loading of 6.7 oz/sq ft.

Attached are a couple of photos during construction and the final product prior to today's flights. First flights were just tosses into high grass which went very well so I was encouraged enough to go to a nearby park and commit to powered flight. It has plenty of power and I never got above half throttle for the first flights. It glides well. As others have reported, it has lots of adverse yaw with roll inputs so I'm sure the wing twist could have been better designed. I chose to stick with the the original design and see how well it would do, now I know and look forward to many flights with it in the future, hopefully some data acquisition flights to see if I can quantify some of its characteristics (a future thread hopefully).

Good flights . Now its time to start building the next one.
Regards,
-Eric
ohmite is offline Find More Posts by ohmite
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,652 Posts
That is really nice Eric. I like the transparent covering.

Congratulations on the flights. When you get a chance, it'd be nice to get measurements and the CG location that you settle in on.

I'm in the process of getting started on something like the test model I've been flying. It'll be bigger, a bit more aerodynamic and hopefully a floater.
HerkS is online now Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
Thats looking real good Herk, I need to get going again here but there is so much darn yard work need to do LOL.

Jens
kleinaberfein is offline Find More Posts by kleinaberfein
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,874 Posts
I've been around for a long long time. And there is one thing I have noticed, it is this.....

Having a good model will carry through the hard times of having a messy yard better that a clean yard will carry you through the hard times of not having a good model.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
So true !! now try selling this to the wife LOL.

Jens
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,874 Posts
Maybe your wife needs a "new focus". Tell her that you got a new assistant at work "Kristen". That should keep her busy while you are building....

Yes, I'm here to help...

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:18 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
379 Posts
Kent,

how did you manage to get a photo of my assistant?

Andrés
andrecillo76 is offline Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2009
745 Posts
What are you guys doing with my sister mmmmmmmmmm?????? LOL.

Jens
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post
That is really nice Eric. I like the transparent covering.

Congratulations on the flights. When you get a chance, it'd be nice to get measurements and the CG location that you settle in on.

I'm in the process of getting started on something like the test model I've been flying. It'll be bigger, a bit more aerodynamic and hopefully a floater.
Herk,
Thank you, I am happy with how the transparent covering turned out too. I will likely get some more flights in and adjust cg in the process. Right now it is just forward of the recommended aft limit and I am still carrying nose up trim. I will slowly move it back to see how it goes, Once I am happy with the cg, I will gladly send you the location for your database.

Looking forward to seeing your new creation come together.
Best Regards,
-Eric
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:42 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
427 Posts
ohmite - try decreasing the twist from 8 degrees to around 3-4 degrees. It will allow you to fly faster without ballooning without hurting slow flight.

If you turn by giving it ail and ele together only the inside elevon will move and help with adverse yaw. Takes a little practice and is different than regular airframes.

I also have outward turning winglets on mine to take care of the adverse yaw. I also put full length elevons on it as well. It is now very aerobatic and will do multiple rolls with just a little adverse yaw waggle. Also an O.S. .10 which I will be swapping out for electric.

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:22 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmite View Post
Good flights . Now its time to start building the next one.
Regards,
-Eric
Cortina?!
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SLS for the Calypso Cobra
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:05 AM
Eden NY
Joined Sep 2001
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
ohmite - try decreasing the twist from 8 degrees to around 3-4 degrees. It will allow you to fly faster without ballooning without hurting slow flight.

If you turn by giving it ail and ele together only the inside elevon will move and help with adverse yaw. Takes a little practice and is different than regular airframes.

I also have outward turning winglets on mine to take care of the adverse yaw. I also put full length elevons on it as well. It is now very aerobatic and will do multiple rolls with just a little adverse yaw waggle. Also an O.S. .10 which I will be swapping out for electric.

Rob
Rob,
Thanks for the insight. My wing is pretty stiff, I tried twisting the wing (to see if I could warp it abit with selective heating of the covering and it didn't want to move, I'll play some more today. The idea of cutting into it again to length the elevons might come once winter sets in here, but now I'm having too much fun flying so I'm trying to maximize my air time with it.
I've thought of adding tips, but really like the clean look so I may play more to see if differential (as I think you are describing) will help.
Wow an OS 10 likely moves yours out quite nicely, I find the little electric I'm using does quite a nice job of powering it and I honestly don't want any more, its top speed is quite speedy .
I've been recording lots of data and making sense of it, it has been an interesting exercise that I might post some results from here.
Best Regards,
-Eric