SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
It would be too much of a coincidence to get these exact numbers by chance, without the camera controlling it. Not impossible, but chances are up there with a winning lottery ticket. Can you download the configuration file from the camera and post it here? It's sounding like you don't even have a #16 HD camera unless it's some REALLY REALLY old firmware on it. Have you used the Windows GUI available here to change settings? Does it report your FW version when you boot it?
I've used The windows GUI program provided here. I'm on version 0.49. Lens B. One video was accidentally triggered and captured in my pocket and the other was a day trip on my car dash board.

EDIT: Attached the sysconfig file and file size pictures.
qsgsg is online now Find More Posts by qsgsg
Last edited by qsgsg; Dec 27, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:10 PM
not running for the exercise
Joined Jan 2011
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richos View Post
Please. please. link me to the remove the timestamp post (I cant find it )
Follow instructions in Post #4 and change the item called "Movie Stamp".
airmob is offline Find More Posts by airmob
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsgsg View Post
I've used The windows GUI program provided here. I'm on version 0.49. Lens B. One video was accidentally triggered and captured in my pocket and the other was a day trip on my car dash board.

EDIT: Attached the sysconfig file and file size pictures.
Thanks for posting the details. The only thing I saw that I didn't test extensively (i.e. until the battery died) was the auto-start function that you have set. Unless you have discovered a hidden bug that sets the recording time to 30:01 min. when auto-recording is turned on, the camera should have recorded until the battery died with your setting of 70 min. video length. The fact you got exactly 30:01 min. in these two videos is, in itself, not typical, and for the video data rate with two entirely different scenes (one in your pocket!) to be essentially identical (6554 kbps vs 6557 kbps) just amplifies the odds of this being repeatable. You may have just wasted a winning lottery ticket!

See if you can repeat this after fully charging the battery. It should vary in both recording time and average data rate unless the camera is chopping off the length of the video to 30:01 sec. I don't use the 10Mbps data rate you have set because of the potential for much bigger files, shorter recording time, and no significant visual quality difference to my eye. So I get a nominal 40 min. of recording time with a healthy battery, which could explain why you are only getting a nominal 30 min. But your average data rate is no better than I might get with the 7 Mbps setting, so the DSP chip was not working any harder to produce those two videos. Maybe your battery was not fully charged, or is getting weak?

If you can repeat these results, then I'll see what I get with your settings and the v0.67 FW I'm using. There could be some hidden "features " not yet discovered with all the possible combinations of settings we have with this camera.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Tested the new 0.67 firmware. Seems better than 0.58 as far as crashing/cutting off with my old SD card. I will have to continue testing to know for sure but I like it so far.

I did some testing in a half shaded area and the auto white balance just doesn't seem to work very well which gives me very murky video. It is pretty much a must to used fixed settings?

Testing new 808 #16 0.67 camera firmware (0 min 56 sec)
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Mar 13, 2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Move video to YouTube
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Tested the new 0.67 firmware. Seems better than 0.58 as far as crashing/cutting off with my old SD card. I will have to continue testing to know for sure but I like it so far.

I did some testing in a half shaded area and the auto white balance just doesn't seem to work very well which gives me very murky video. It is pretty much a must to used fixed settings?

http://vimeo.com/56393028
There are no changes that were made known to me regarding any difference in flash card communication. The flash memory card shutdowns was fixed a couple or FW revisions ago, so I don't think anything has changed there. Also, the late evening lighting you had with the upper half of the frame in bright setting sunlight and the bottom half in shade is probably the most challenging lighting you can get in daylight. NONE of the white balance settings can properly expose both portions of the frame in that kind of lighting.

I still use auto white balance since to my eye it still gives the best natural color rendition (the all blue-to-gray sky color shift scenes not withstanding).

The focus is sharp and detail is clean in the well lit portions. The shady portions will always look "murky" regardless of WB settings (a codec issue). I don't see anything in your clip to get overly excited about with a $40 HD camera of this size.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
alright guys i really need your help. I tried to solve my problem with the search engine, but i couldnt find a solution in this thread.
so my problem is: at first my cam worked fine. After a while my clips were rather short, but this may be caused by low battery (i dunno). So I was away for almost 6 weeks and the cam was in my drawer. After getting back home i charged the cam and wanted to start it. And then the weird things started to happen. I had various issues. For example the cam wouldnt even turn on. Sometimes it would turn on and then the led would stay a solid red, and not change to yellow. So I tried to update the FW withthe GUI. And so I did. The update was successful and i could get it back on and make videos. Right now the cam does not even turn on. I didn't change anything since the last FW Update. The battery should be fully charged. Had it charged for 3 hours and the green light went off. So no yellow or red light and the pc doesn't recognize the cam either. I didnt find anything on the interwebs concerning my problem, so i was hoping you guys could help me out maybe.
jack0807 is offline Find More Posts by jack0807
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,946 Posts
Try the Reset button?
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:02 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Also try the in-camera card format
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack0807 View Post
alright guys i really need your help. I tried to solve my problem with the search engine, but i couldnt find a solution in this thread.
so my problem is: at first my cam worked fine. After a while my clips were rather short, but this may be caused by low battery (i dunno). So I was away for almost 6 weeks and the cam was in my drawer. After getting back home i charged the cam and wanted to start it. And then the weird things started to happen. I had various issues. For example the cam wouldnt even turn on. Sometimes it would turn on and then the led would stay a solid red, and not change to yellow. So I tried to update the FW withthe GUI. And so I did. The update was successful and i could get it back on and make videos. Right now the cam does not even turn on. I didn't change anything since the last FW Update. The battery should be fully charged. Had it charged for 3 hours and the green light went off. So no yellow or red light and the pc doesn't recognize the cam either. I didnt find anything on the interwebs concerning my problem, so i was hoping you guys could help me out maybe.
Problems like this have nothing to do with firmware.

Most likely your battery is giving up the ghost. When problems like this arise, ALWAYS try powering the camera with an external power source first. The reason your camera worked briefly after the FW update is likely due to the charge it got during the FW update. The car charger that came with the camera is a good option, as is ANY standard 5V USB charger. Start the camera recording first, then connect the charger and let it record. If it works normally, your battery needs to be replaced.

Lipos can APPEAR to be in good condition as they deteriorate because they will charge up to full voltage during a charge. But once the charging is discontinued, the battery may slowly discharge (due to an internal short circuit), or may not be able to maintain voltage under load during recording, and the camera will shut down. Also, if you are recording in cold weather, ALL lipos will have reduce performance.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There are no changes that were made known to me regarding any difference in flash card communication. The flash memory card shutdowns was fixed a couple or FW revisions ago, so I don't think anything has changed there.
Yeah, that's why I'm planning much more testing to make sure.

Quote:
Also, the late evening lighting you had with the upper half of the frame in bright setting sunlight and the bottom half in shade is probably the most challenging lighting you can get in daylight. NONE of the white balance settings can properly expose both portions of the frame in that kind of lighting.

I still use auto white balance since to my eye it still gives the best natural color rendition (the all blue-to-gray sky color shift scenes not withstanding).

The focus is sharp and detail is clean in the well lit portions. The shady portions will always look "murky" regardless of WB settings (a codec issue). I don't see anything in your clip to get overly excited about with a $40 HD camera of this size.
I don't know, I think it could be improved. It's not really a hardware issue, it's software. I do realize it's tough lighting but to me the whole frame looks murky even the lit/bright areas when it's in that half shaded area. There are a couple times where it adjusts the balance and the whole frame improves, shaded and lit both look good despite the tough lighting. If I could get that all the time I think it would look much better.

Do us mere mortals have access to the firmware source code? As a software developer I love tweaking this stuff and I usually can improve things for my specific situations.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Ricky.. An old saying , different strokes, for different folks.

Lens A 70 degree

Lens B 90 degree

Lens D 120 degree.

future lens C 110 degree

Future lenses 140, 150 , 170,180....
Hey Fishy Thats Great NEWS, infact a scoop !, When are you shipping them, & how much will they cost??
Quote:
Lens A is the ideal lens to purchase it will offer you the average view of a 35m camera.

Lens B has its Ir filter on the lens dome that causes reflection when light, like passing the sun, showing in Red. and vigenting (sp) I call it a lens barrel distortion.

Fix is to expand the lens hole on camera, and as well on the edges of the actual plastic lens housing. to get rid of the fov blockage is expanding the hole, and when placed under a hats brim, it gets pronounced even more. this acts as a 67mm or less fov

Lens D a imitation of a gopro trademark, but yet not of a gopro fov. It is a glass lens, how you use the lens D you may like/dislike it. it gives you a 27mm fov and will bend the horizon, on again personal use.

Lets not get to technical. Just get out there view a number of clips with each camera and you will decide to get the one you want. remember, you can get lens A, and always get the lens module and case to go up/down/ in lenses.

Sometimes it's best to get a spare camera and different lense.

Added noted always best to keep settings normal and manipulate in editing software, change the settings in camera, and it becomes a video that may not be corrected for good. personal prefrences

Enjoy

FISHYCOMICS
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
we all talk about how a lipo should not hit LVC, end.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
we all talk about how a lipo should not hit LVC
we do? I don't.
Ike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
It is more like in the FAQ.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Can't connect anymore

Hi All...

Just got my 16 with the red lens from Santa, whom I carefully educated. Did my homework, downloaded the GUI, got a Lexar 16 GB Class 4, charged it up, connected fine, did the format via the GUI, then it told me the firmware was out of date and to download it which I did and I followed the instructions in the software exactly. I tried to anyway, but the GUI page never exited automatically and I was left with a mystery as the camera would no longer turn on or connect. I did the reset procedure several times and that apparently didn't work either.

Now, on power up with the card in, I get a short burst of yellow flashing, then about 10 seconds later a red single flash and then nothing. My PC and GUI don't recognize it any longer.

Pressing reset, waiting 15 seconds, then powering up with the card out, the red flashes once and then nothing, whether connected to the PC or not.

I'm no expert but it seems the firmware either got corrupted or interrupted???
Is there a way to restart the whole process?

This light pattern behaviour isn't described in the manual, so I"m asking very kindly if anyone can tell me what it means?

Thanks muchly

Fred
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman