HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
I thought I would show some pictures of what I did to the front landing gear and explain a little.

I placed some thin ply behind the plastic firewall so it wouldn't move as much during landings. I also drilled out the main plastic landing gear guide the large round plastic guide. I than took a 40 size nitro front landing gear and placed a small piece of fuel tubing on the shaft of the of the new gear. I drilled the main guide to be slightly smaller than the fuel tub/shaft diameter.

I placed the fuel landing gear into the drilled out guide hole and than used some wheel locks to hold the gear in place from top to bottom. The reasoning behind the fuel tubing and drilling out the main landing gear guide was to make sure there was no room for play side to side.
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:56 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Hi guys, i own a 400 and its my fist ever rc plane had for around 3 mths and maidened ' stock rtf kit' it my local park take off from cricket pitch was good just long enough 'concret' ,flight was fine , landed long grass stripped rudder/front gear servo.

found this rc group and starting with the mods before next flight, i've already added the flaps but i'm unsure what the servo's should be set at to get full flaps, i tried 100% and went to 140% but sounds like they are straining. anyone got flaps set can give me the %

also i was looking at the motors u guys were talking about and all are out of stock i found this one is it any good. would i need to up grade all the esc/ batt/ motor mount etc.....

(sorry for all the questions total newbie)

cheers
skip34 is offline Find More Posts by skip34
Last edited by skip34; Sep 23, 2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: oooppss forgot to add motor link http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18227
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip34 View Post
Hi guys, i own a 400 and its my fist ever rc plane had for around 3 mths and maidened ' stock rtf kit' it my local park take off from cricket pitch was good just long enough 'concret' ,flight was fine , landed long grass stripped rudder/front gear servo.

found this rc group and starting with the mods before next flight, i've already added the flaps but i'm unsure what the servo's should be set at to get full flaps, i tried 100% and went to 140% but sounds like they are straining. anyone got flaps set can give me the %

also i was looking at the motors u guys were talking about and all are out of stock i found this one is it any good. would i need to up grade all the esc/ batt/ motor mount etc.....

(sorry for all the questions total newbie)

cheers
Skip...

Welcome to the world and addiction to model aviation. Don't let this model and all the "mods" and everything get you down about flying model aircraft, its just this bird had lots of potential and is a great solid airframe with great flying characteristics.

What type of radio are you using? You never want to run your servos to the point they sound like they trying to go past their limits. Back them off until they become silent. You may need to invest in to some other servos if you are not getting the proper servo movement.

I cannot recommend a motor as I am using the stock one that came with mine, which in all honesty seems to fly my plane with good authority. I fly it very scale though and don't see the need to try and push this plane past what it can handle... as you will see the wings will fold if you push it to hard.

I would highly recommend that you think about placing some thin ply or popsicle sticks behind the firewall in between the fuselage and the firewall, epoxy, hotglue, whatever you want (as long as foam safe) to reduce the amount of ply between the firewall and fuselage, in hopes you don't break the plastic firewall apart like many if not all of has already done.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:25 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Hi thx for the reply,

i have invested in a hitec auroa 9 radio.
i may have to buy some slighty better servo's only cheap ones i got for flaps.

I am going to be upgradeing the firewall as a few people have said to on this site

Got another question in regards to the flaps do i need to add elevator into the mix when using flaps?

Thx again for replying to my questions..
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
You shouldn't have to add any elevator mix. I have not personally flown my cessna 400 with flaps, but I have flown many other models with flaps and did not have to mix any elevator in.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:13 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Cool thx for that, i have completed all the mods, larger wheels, new front gear and i replaced the firewall with ply, noticed all in all its added around 40g extra in weight. should help with the CG.

all the servo seem quiet now,and i tried a short run in the yard to see if she could handle the grass, went very well and this yard aint very flat lol, tried the flaps worked great and she left the ground about 2 ft up and 6 ft flight landed fine all mods held up great.

just found out am not aloud to fly in public parks here in OZ so have joined a club and hopeful for my first proper flight soon. wish me luck ..
Old Oct 08, 2011, 10:51 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Aug 2008
216 Posts
This was the end of my Cessna 182...

Good Bye (1 min 12 sec)
Visor is offline Find More Posts by Visor
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:27 AM
Joined Sep 2009
456 Posts
Nice thread and I sincerely hope it isnt going to die as I have this model coming for Xmas. Am planning some of the mods descibed here in order to give it the best chance I can on the first flight and looking forward to posting my results in here too. All the info much appreciated guys keep it up.

Hally
billhally is online now Find More Posts by billhally
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:33 AM
Joined Sep 2009
456 Posts
Would any of you guys that have this model flying correctly please post how far your Centre of Gravity is from the leading edge of the wing as the manual states 80mm and I suspect it is a little less than that?

TIA
Old Nov 28, 2011, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
CG is one of those "mysteries" with this plane, it seems like this plane flies at several different CG's as some come with different motors and some people are doing different mods etc.... I can tell you that mine came out at 54mm from LE.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=250
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
456 Posts
Hi BennettOZ84

Thats quite a ways forward of what they specify then, this plane of mine came with the larger motor in it and I am going to use my 2200mah batteries in there. I just want to give it the best shot it has on the maiden flight and see what happens. As we have a grass strip I will add larger wheels and beef up the nose gear somewhat with aluminium to try and prevent any problems there.
Its a nice looking model and I would try to keep it like that I have the 182 version also for some time now and its a little beat up but still flies this one I would like to keep looking good lol.

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:49 PM
Joined May 2010
86 Posts
yes dont follow the stock cog at all. i upgraded the motor and esc to a 40 amp system flying on 2200 mah batteries and after the heavier motor and esc up front i still had to slide the battery forward so that is wedged between the battery hatch and under wing cavity for it to be comfortable for me to fly. with flaps installed landings are as slow and gentle as can be. i might get some bigger lipos too as flight times can be a bit short when under throttle.

i did ditch the wheel skirts and use bigger wheels. ive flown off of and landed on pretty thick untrimmed grass with 2.25 i believe they are. only mod i did to the plane was build a ply box around the stock front landing gear mount. as mentioned many times it is very weak on this plane.
ninjafishable is offline Find More Posts by ninjafishable
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:57 AM
Joined Sep 2009
456 Posts
Hi ninjafishable

Thanks also for replying sounds like your setup is similar to what mine will end up like. New wheels arrived in this morning and are 75mm which should be good for our grass strip with the skirts removed. Model came with the larger 3536 motor in it and I will add much strengthening to the front nose wheel support
My batteries are also 2200mah and I intend to do the same as you by keeping the same access panel but moving the battery forward under the cockpit to shift the weight forward. Flaps will also be fitted which will help a bit on landing I suspect. So with your setup where is your CoG from the leading edge?

Cheers
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:13 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Sep 2011
36 Posts
Well i finally got to fly at the local club, and all the mods held up great, i ended up moding the fire wall, battery moved to cabin, wheels and front landing gear, 'removed wheel skirts' added the flaps too but have not tested them yet. got to do my first takeoff and landing's on a proper strip 'grass' takeoff the trainer was impressed approach for landing not bad, landing bouncey lol but survived. all in all a great plane and thankgod for this site and the mods if i ever get a camara sorted will post pics.
i did try to paint it with water based paint and did'nt stick so looks rougher than it is ...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Sep 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip34 View Post
Well i finally got to fly at the local club, and all the mods held up great, i ended up moding the fire wall, battery moved to cabin, wheels and front landing gear, 'removed wheel skirts' added the flaps too but have not tested them yet. got to do my first takeoff and landing's on a proper strip 'grass' takeoff the trainer was impressed approach for landing not bad, landing bouncey lol but survived. all in all a great plane and thankgod for this site and the mods if i ever get a camara sorted will post pics.
i did try to paint it with water based paint and did'nt stick so looks rougher than it is ...
Sounds good skip34 it will be a while before I get to do anything with mine but am really looking forward to getting to grips with it. Have you any video of your build at all? Also where did your Centre of Gravity end up eventually?