HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:20 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Of course there are variables and I would not expect to get exact mirror images. In this case 10-7 apc @ 9400 and 10300 rpm at the stated volts is not even in the same range. I guess I will need to prop up to an 11-7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzkill2 View Post
There are so many different variables (battery,ESC,prop type etc.) that can affect "prop data" there's no way any two people will achieve the exact same results.

Hyperion would literally have to test each and every possible combination available to get accurate results for each persons setup. Obviously that would mean millions of different configurations and will never happen.
TROY01 is offline Find More Posts by TROY01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:30 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Alan you are correct actually. Tt does seem closer in both KV and performace to the 3014-14! Should pull hard with an 11-7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hahn View Post
I note that that rpm seems to match the prop rpm on the 3014-14!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:32 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROY01 View Post
Of course there are variables and I would not expect to get exact mirror images. In this case 10-7 apc @ 9400 and 10300 rpm at the stated volts is not even in the same range. I guess I will need to prop up to an 11-7.
What are you trying to accomplish? Propping up will increase the current draw.

What battery are you using?
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
I am not bashing anything, I was just confused when I installed the prop and it did not turn the prop like I expected it would. I wanted the higher kv because I fugured that I could operate this at a higher speed than the cheaper motors and not burn it up. Thats why I ordered a -12 the invoice and box says -12 and that simply what I expected to see. It was not until I checked the KV that it was anything other than what I ordered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
Also, You cant compare 2 motors just based on their amp draw on the same prop, you have to compare voltage and RPM too, or your just guessing that one is better than the other.

This happened early on when outrunners started showing up, Lots of people were comparing them to geared inrunners just based on the fact they pulled more amps on the same prop, what happened when they checked RPM was that the outrunners were pulling more amps and giving less RPM, so producing less usable power while using more power.

In other words, get a -12, and dont bash the -14 for not being a -12
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Correct. I actually ordered this motor for another plane, but since the plane is not started yet I thought I would try it out on the Brio. I want high speed, that is why I ordered the -12 with the higher KV. Ultimatley I want to run it up to a max of about 50 amps of 500w with an 11-8 prop. I figured that will really get a Supert Sportser with a 24C 4000 mah pack scooting along. I know on the really cheap motors that if you increase the amps they will burn up. I expect this Hyperion can take a high amp and not burn up. This motor has more than enough power for a Brio 10 no doubt. I want a high speed motor thats all. I am using a fresh Thunder power 2200 30C 3 cell pack for testing.
Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish? Propping up will increase the current draw.

What battery are you using?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:24 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
I used to run my brio on 450W with a 10x7 prop, it went like a russian Good fun.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Correct. I actually ordered this motor for another plane, but since the plane is not started yet I thought I would try it out on the Brio. I want high speed, that is why I ordered the -12 with the higher KV. Ultimatley I want to run it up to a max of about 50 amps of 500w with an 11-8 prop. I figured that will really get a Supert Sportser with a 24C 4000 mah pack scooting along. I know on the really cheap motors that if you increase the amps they will burn up. I expect this Hyperion can take a high amp and not burn up. This motor has more than enough power for a Brio 10 no doubt. I want a high speed motor thats all. I am using a fresh Thunder power 2200 30C 3 cell pack for testing.
Cool thanks! I was wondering what your goal was so, now I understand. Your correct about the motors taking a beating and not cooking, I have 7 different new Hyperion motors and run several of them above what most would consider "safe". Nary an issue with any of them

If I was you, I would try a Hyperion G3 battery instead of the TP Pro 30. Despite what a lot of TP biased "testers" say you'll get more power (a LOT more) from the G3 than the TP. If you go the VX route I'd bet you'd be where you want and might even have to prop back down to the 10x7 instead of the 11" prop.

Another thing to keep in mind is watts/amps means relatively little without RPMs. I'd much rather have a motor delivering lower watts but higher RPM as opposed to the opposite. Just means actual power "to the prop" is higher and the motor is a lot more efficient, all other things being equal that is.
Last edited by Buzzkill2; Feb 19, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Thanks, I think it would be much easier/cheaper to simply prop up to 11-7 in this case.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:30 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
Sure, amp/watts is simply a barometer, and the rpm of the prop is what it is all about. However a 60 watt light bulb still typically creats more light than a 40 watt light bulb even if the 40 watt bulb is 4% more efficient.
Quote:
Another thing to keep in mind is watts/amps means relatively little without RPMs. I'd much rather have a motor delivering lower watts but higher RPM as opposed to the opposite. Just means actual power "to the prop" is higher and the motor is a lot more efficient, all other things being equal that is.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Sure, amp/watts is simply a barometer, and the rpm of the prop is what it is all about. However a 60 watt light bulb still typically creats more light than a 40 watt light bulb even if the 40 watt bulb is 4% more efficient.
Even if both bulbs are only getting 30w of power?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
No. But typically a 40 watt bulb produces in the neighborhood of 40 watts. If the cheap motor were at about 50% efficiency then your comment would be applicable. I suspect that it may not be as efficient as a higher end motor but not that bad.
Quote:
Even if both bulbs are only getting 30w of power?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
No. But typically a 40 watt bulb produces in the neighborhood of 40 watts. If the cheap motor were at about 50% efficiency then your comment would be applicable. I suspect that it may not be as efficient as a higher end motor but not that bad.
Ok just trying to help. I still suspect your battery is the weak point in your setup though. You posted you were at 10.5v on the 10x7 prop so I'd suspect you'll be dropping lower on the 11".
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
I know, and I appreciate it. The voltage was taken that low only to duplicate the Hyperian test data, however the battery is strong. I guess the KV is simply a about 100KV lower than expected. That does not mean the motor is not good, it simply means it will need to be propped different than I expected. It may still scream in the Super Sportster with an 11-8 or 12-8 prop and produce 550 watts while be very good on energy consumption.
Quote:
Ok just trying to help. I still suspect your battery is the weak point in your setup though. You posted you were at 10.5v on the 10x7 prop so I'd suspect you'll be dropping lower on the 11".
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Quote:
I know, and I appreciate it. The voltage was taken that low only to duplicate the Hyperian test data, however the battery is strong. I guess the KV is simply a about 100KV lower than expected. That does not mean the motor is not good, it simply means it will need to be propped different than I expected. It may still scream in the Super Sportster with an 11-8 or 12-8 prop and produce 550 watts while be very good on energy consumption.
How did you get the voltage that low (10.5) ?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined Dec 2008
32 Posts
I just ran the motor until the voltage dropped to 10.5 in order to compare the voltage that Hyperion showed in the test data.. I just got home and checked my notes from the testing this morning and there is another complication the KV is 1134 after all. I guess what I typed 1034 it was just a typo. The readings were 13860rpm @ 12.21v and 12970 rpm @ 11.45 so 1130 kv is correct. Good grief........ I gought an 11-7 APC prop so I will try that out.
Quote:
How did you get the voltage that low (10.5) ?