SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 08, 2008, 03:45 AM
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
12 Posts
Discussion
Plantraco Micro Racer Yellow Jacket Crash

Hi you guy's

I am a newbee in micro RC and purchased a Plantraco Micro Racer Yellow Jacket.
Build the kit and checked if all components are working correctly.
Did some succesfull test flights with the included flight simulater.

Last weekend i wanted to fly the racer and went to a big field of grass.
Put on the bahoma end centered the rudder and elevator.
Gave 3/4 power to the prop and gently threw the micro racer straight forward. From that moment i cried for 2 times. The racer went straight up with a left turn en bumped inmediatly to the ground. I thought it was the wind but the second time (when the wind was gone) the same scenario happened again. The racer is totally damaged and i ordered a new one today including a motor because it is defective after the crash...including the prop :-(

What am i doing wrong or is the problem? I really want to have flying fun (wich i allready had with building the kit)..

Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings,
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
renwee1 is offline Find More Posts by renwee1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 09:10 PM
I need a BIGGER lvng rm!
Conroe, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
516 Posts
First of all, if you are new to flying micros, your first flights need to be in 0 wind. The micro racers can handle some wind, but still get blown around quite a bit. You will have much more enjoyable flights if you can wait till there is NO wind, it will also make it easier to trim the model.

Second, if your first launch leads to a climb and left turn, you might want to dial in some right rudder and down elevator before launching a second time. The trim knobs on the transmitter can be very tricky to operate while the plane is flying. I will often land my plantraco planes when the trim is incorrect, then adjust trim and re-launch.

Third, post some pics of your build before the maiden and some eagle eyed memebers on the board can often spot mistakes before you even attempt to fly. Could save you some more crying!

Good luck, and welcome to RCG!!
MicroTex is offline Find More Posts by MicroTex
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 07:33 AM
Registered User
Terry Rigden's Avatar
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,753 Posts
Are you an experienced R/C pilot ? If not i suggest the micro racer is NOT a plane to learn to trim and fly on. You would have much more sucsess with something larger maybe a Minium Citibra or an Ember for indoors

If on the other hand you are experienced then check the CG is correct as stated on the ON LINE instructions , some of the older kits have an error on the printed instructions insluded in the pack.

It sounds like your model needs a bit more down and side thrust.

Try launching at lower throttle say 1/2. Mine flew nicely at thet setting

These small models really can't handle any turbulence so for the first flights choose a time with no wind at all and go to where you have PLENTy of space - like a soccer field.

Best of luck

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:26 AM
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroTex
First of all, if you are new to flying micros, your first flights need to be in 0 wind. The micro racers can handle some wind, but still get blown around quite a bit. You will have much more enjoyable flights if you can wait till there is NO wind, it will also make it easier to trim the model.

Second, if your first launch leads to a climb and left turn, you might want to dial in some right rudder and down elevator before launching a second time. The trim knobs on the transmitter can be very tricky to operate while the plane is flying. I will often land my plantraco planes when the trim is incorrect, then adjust trim and re-launch.

Third, post some pics of your build before the maiden and some eagle eyed memebers on the board can often spot mistakes before you even attempt to fly. Could save you some more crying!

Good luck, and welcome to RCG!!
Thanks for your comment Microtex.

There was 0 wind at that time. And is was very cold...2 degrees celcius brrrr but i wanted to try this little plane.

I ordered the P51 airframe and some spares.
So when i have the equipment i will build the new airframe.
And make some pictures before making any test flight.
You guy's have a lot of experience and can give me advice about the airframe and so on.

to be continued.... ;-)
renwee1 is offline Find More Posts by renwee1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:36 AM
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden
Are you an experienced R/C pilot ? If not i suggest the micro racer is NOT a plane to learn to trim and fly on. You would have much more sucsess with something larger maybe a Minium Citibra or an Ember for indoors

If on the other hand you are experienced then check the CG is correct as stated on the ON LINE instructions , some of the older kits have an error on the printed instructions insluded in the pack.

It sounds like your model needs a bit more down and side thrust.

Try launching at lower throttle say 1/2. Mine flew nicely at thet setting

These small models really can't handle any turbulence so for the first flights choose a time with no wind at all and go to where you have PLENTy of space - like a soccer field.

Best of luck

Terry
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I am not experienced but now i have this plane i don't want to give up ;-)
Really want to fly it. Even if i have to buy an airframe every week..hope that that won't be nessesary.

Last Sunday there was 0 wind and went to a big field. But next time i try to find a field with longer grass that protects my plane much more. This field had short gras and the impact was very hard.

I ordered a new frame and spare prop and engine so now i can test again. When i am finished building i put some pictures on this forum to let it check by you experienced guy's ;-)

Thanks for now and to be continued...I really want to fly this little racer
renwee1 is offline Find More Posts by renwee1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:46 AM
Registered User
Uwe Steller's Avatar
Karlsruhe, Germany
Joined Jan 2004
210 Posts
Good approach, never give up ! Is it possible, that this behaviour was just the result of pushing it too hard ? Did you try the plane without power first ? This should give you a better feeling for the speed needed (of course, this should be done above forgiving ground too).
And these types of planes can often be repaired, even if they seem to be totally destroyed. What happened to the motor?
Good luck!
Uwe
Uwe Steller is offline Find More Posts by Uwe Steller
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
They should fly level or slightly climb with no elevator input. For your first flights, if it'll start flight nice and level I suggest leaving the elevator as it is, and use the rudder and throttle to steer and control your plane. When you find that comfortable apply gentle elevator while turning to decrease your turn radius. Too much elevator and you'll go in to a tight spiral.

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 01:23 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Ken Spencer's Avatar
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renwee1
Hi you guy's
I am a newbee in micro RC and purchased a Plantraco Micro Racer Yellow Jacket. ... went to a big field of grass. Put on the bahoma and centered the rudder and elevator. Gave 3/4 power to the prop and gently threw the micro racer straight forward.
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
Hi, Nenwee1
May I ask ? When you center the rudder and elevator surfaces, did you hold the aircraft in a nose up or in a vertical position. If not, I have found that some time the weight of the control surfaces will cause the actuators not to be in a neutral position in flight while air is passing over the surface. Try adjusting your trims before flight while holding your plane in a nose up vertical position.
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:03 PM
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Steller
Good approach, never give up ! Is it possible, that this behaviour was just the result of pushing it too hard ? Did you try the plane without power first ? This should give you a better feeling for the speed needed (of course, this should be done above forgiving ground too).
And these types of planes can often be repaired, even if they seem to be totally destroyed. What happened to the motor?
Good luck!
Uwe
Thanks Uwe.

The motor makes a strange sound and is not spinning anymore when i apply throttle.
When i spin the prop with my fingers when applying thrittle the motor works fine..
This happened after the second crash..that's why i ordered a new one.

But i won't give up :-) and after i build my new airframe i try it first without power.
Plantraco gave me that advise too and then repeat it with a little bit more power and so on..
renwee1 is offline Find More Posts by renwee1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:09 PM
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
12 Posts
Thanks Ken.

I trimmed the racer in the horizontal position.
So i will take your advice next time and trim it vertically with the nose up.

You have some nice racers i see in your picture.
Do you apply some right thrust or straight when attaching the engine on the airframe?
I've read that some people use right thrust en others straight. I used straight thrust on my crashed yellow jacket.
renwee1 is offline Find More Posts by renwee1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:13 PM
René van de Weert
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faethor
They should fly level or slightly climb with no elevator input. For your first flights, if it'll start flight nice and level I suggest leaving the elevator as it is, and use the rudder and throttle to steer and control your plane. When you find that comfortable apply gentle elevator while turning to decrease your turn radius. Too much elevator and you'll go in to a tight spiral.

Jay
Thanks for your advice as well Jay ;-)
I hope my new frame comes very quickly so i can try again and use all the tips and suggestions you all gave me.

I am very glad to be part of this forum and hope to get as much as experienced as all of you guy's so i can help someone in the future too.
renwee1 is offline Find More Posts by renwee1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 04:52 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Ken Spencer's Avatar
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renwee1
I trimmed the racer in the horizontal position.
So i will take your advice next time and trim it vertically with the nose up.
Do you apply some right thrust or straight when attaching the engine on the airframe?
Hi, renwee1
I use some right thrust when attaching the motor. Betweeen 2 or 3 degrees is all I apply.
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken
Ken Spencer is offline Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 08:09 PM
Registered User
kontakos's Avatar
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Aug 2007
91 Posts
Good luck with the next Yellow Jacket Renee!
Nice to see someone in this area also trying a Micro Racer. Btw, where did you buy yours?

I just finished building a P-51 Miss America for a friend of mine. Now we just have to wait for a calm day (don’t think we have 0wind days) and try to fly this little baby.

I think the P-51 is also easier to build than the beautiful Yellow Jacket, so maybe you could try that one first?
I had a good experience building the P-51 by reading the online manual (didn't see the CG so I used the 1/3 wing rule) and watching the podcast on Plantraco’s site. Watch also the Micro Scout podcast, you will find a lot of information and tips scattered around in them. It’s a little bit like a puzzle


Great tip on trimming with the nose up vertical position Ken! I will try that next time.
kontakos is offline Find More Posts by kontakos
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2008, 09:37 PM
I need a BIGGER lvng rm!
Conroe, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
516 Posts
renwee1, good choice on the P-51, I have found it flies a little better with the plantraco gear than the yellow jacket. A little more stable. Also, don't be scared to put in a decent amount of dihedral when building the P-51, it flies well with it.
MicroTex is offline Find More Posts by MicroTex
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:34 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2004
2,859 Posts
When you launch the plane, don't toss it like a paper dart. Make sure you move your hand forward in a straight line, with the plane aligned to the airflow, moving horizontally, and try a test glide over soft ground before doing a powered launch. Sometimes the wild pitch up you get is just the result of the plane being trimmed for low speed being launched too fast, and wasting the extra energy in a quarter loop, usually ending with a stall when vertical and subsequent "vertical landing of the bad kind".
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Plantraco micro racer seneka Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 12 Aug 14, 2008 12:50 PM
Yippee! Plantraco-Micro Racer!.. "Yellow Jacket" hoverboy Micro Ready-to-Fly 37 Jul 08, 2008 11:57 PM
Discussion smallest area for a plantraco micro racer? franky31 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 6 Apr 03, 2008 03:30 PM
Wanted NIP Plantraco Micro Racer Kits DesmoHead Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Nov 17, 2007 07:19 PM
Rave Plantraco Micro Racer! tommyeflight89 Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 11 Sep 14, 2006 09:47 AM