HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
32 Posts
To slow it down, bypass your exhaust steam heater, run it straight off the boiler.
jmendoza is offline Find More Posts by jmendoza
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
32 Posts
Photos of oiler attached!

Here is my version of a displacement oiler made from an M1 Carbine shell, works great. Sight gauge tubing is removed for draining and filling.
jmendoza is offline Find More Posts by jmendoza
Old Dec 16, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Thats a good idea with the shell, I like it, I might have to try one with a .45acp and see how it turns out!

The boat project has slowed down lately, after the 3rd attempt at painting and thinking I finally had it figured out when I peeled the fineline tape off from the paint it took some paint with it, so its been sitting for about week untill I feel like sanding the whole thing down AGAIN! Not having luck with this part of the build at all.
mcscott is offline Find More Posts by mcscott
Old Jan 05, 2014, 11:04 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
I am building the same kit. For painting, I wouldn't use any automotive paints.
I am coating the hull in WEST epoxy (will post pictures soon).
Then I will be applying a Humbrol enamel primer, then the Humbrol enamel paint. This is proven to work.
SteamSurge is offline Find More Posts by SteamSurge
Old Jan 05, 2014, 11:07 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
To slow it down, I installed a tap that lets me control how much steam to let through to the engine. There is also a T-fitting before the tap that sends steam to a whistle. Will post pictures.
You're not going to blow up the boiler if too much steam builds because of the plastic tubing "pipes". These will pop off before the boiler blows. Also, with the whistle, extra steam will force its way out that way.

I am also running a brass Prop Shop prop instead of the plastic kit one.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 12:53 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
What size is the brass prop?
Henk Goosen is offline Find More Posts by Henk Goosen
Old Jan 05, 2014, 02:42 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Was custom made by Prop Shop:

The prop is 1.2" diameter, with larger pitch by using our Fast Scale propeller, part number 3015/3. It is 3 blade and left hand.

Cost was 25, including delivery to Canada.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 03:53 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
Thank you SteamSurge next week wednesday I will be in Canada. Surrey BC.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 04:54 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk Goosen View Post
Thank you SteamSurge next week wednesday I will be in Canada. Surrey BC.
Nice. Try to go to Vancouver and Whistler; one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Old Jan 05, 2014, 04:54 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamSurge View Post
To slow it down, I installed a tap that lets me control how much steam to let through to the engine. There is also a T-fitting before the tap that sends steam to a whistle. Will post pictures.
You're not going to blow up the boiler if too much steam builds because of the plastic tubing "pipes". These will pop off before the boiler blows. Also, with the whistle, extra steam will force its way out that way.

I am also running a brass Prop Shop prop instead of the plastic kit one.
If you can find a controllable burner, you have a slightly slower response, but both water and fuel will last a lot longer (and you'll be surprised how relatively quick a boiler responds to burner modulation).

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jan 06, 2014, 01:59 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2008
273 Posts
I know SteamSurge I used to live in the Lower Mainland, was in construcion in those days.
We build a fourplex in Whistler in the late nineties.
Old Jan 07, 2014, 12:28 AM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendoza View Post
Here is my version of a displacement oiler made from an M1 Carbine shell, works great. Sight gauge tubing is removed for draining and filling.
A very smart - simple design for draining!! Well done with the thinking muscle
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old May 05, 2014, 02:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
ok, some updates... Finally got somewhere with this thing. After setting it off to the side for a while due to paint frustrations I finally got some decent results. I painted it green on the bottom, white on top, and used real actual gold leaf for the stripe. Then went over the entire thing, bare wood and all with automotive grade polyurethane clear coat and it turned out ok.

Such a pleasure to finally get the maiden voyage in, ran great had about 6 minutes of good strong steam and she trucks along really well at a fast walking speed and sounds amazing "I think anyway" sorry no video the wife was busy with the dog instead of video taping.

Thanks rcgroups for the inspiration. Now I need a bigger one with a real steam plant in it!!

maiden voyage
Old May 05, 2014, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Now I need to make some accessories for it, thinking of making it a fishing boat so to say, some nets, maybe little tires on the side or something, at least a person in it. Where is a good place to find a little person to put in here?
Old May 05, 2014, 09:31 PM
Australia, SA, Elizabeth Downs
Joined Mar 2007
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscott View Post
Now I need to make some accessories for it, thinking of making it a fishing boat so to say, some nets, maybe little tires on the side or something, at least a person in it. Where is a good place to find a little person to put in here?
congrats on the maiden....... Have a look on fleabay for 1:12 scale doll house people
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-12-Doll...530fe16&_uhb=1
Au_Wozza is online now Find More Posts by Au_Wozza