HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,589 Posts
Discussion
RCGF 15cc stock muffler and noise

RCGF 15cc engine is a good powerhouse for general use and I am very happy with it ... but OH that noise !!

It's as if the muffler is just an exhaust director with no sound reduction.

I've heard of people inserting restrictors in the outlet and so getting reduction of sound level.

I want to keep original muffler as the cowl is cut to suit ... but want to reduce the noise. Any info on restrictor / other means to do it but keeping original muffler ?

Can perforated tube be inserted into muffler can as in some silencers etc. ?

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:32 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:38 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
632 Posts
have you seen these inserts http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl...er-dle-20.html not sure if they that engine but it might be a easy cheap solution . Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:05 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope View Post
have you seen these inserts http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dl...er-dle-20.html not sure if they that engine but it might be a easy cheap solution . Cheers the pope
I think this is the inserts I had heard about ... interesting to actually see the fitting.

I have a metal works guy as flying pal ... so maybe I'll talk to him about knocking up an alloy insert with perforated tube to insert into expansion chamber.
As I understand it - the trick is not to impede the exhaust flow, but to bounce the sound around so it basically gets lost in the chamber ...

If it works - I will post up some pics so others might be able to follow ..

Nigel
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:08 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Joined Jan 2010
8,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
Seeing as I'm not a Kitchen Maid ... what have pan scourers got to do with it ? Unless you mean for someone to interpret as open one up loose and insert into chamber ?

waiting with baited breath your reply ...

Nigel
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:03 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,367 Posts
My SV-17cc engine appears to use the same can muffler. Yeah that muffler has nothing in it to help reduce noise. I made a insert baffle that I installed in the outlet tube to reduce the noise. It actually worked better than I expected too. It dropped the noise level by about two DB or so.

Troy Built models sells a insert like this for the DLE 20cc engine, which is where I got the idea from.

Before DB level without the baffle insert installed

After installing the extra baffle insert, DB noise level
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: add more information
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:31 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
what have pan scourers got to do with it ? Unless you mean for someone to interpret as open one up loose and insert into chamber ?
of course.
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)