HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
158 Posts
Discussion
Tool suggestions

I would like to try a scratch build, but it seems to be very slow going when I cut ribs or something.

What tools do most people use when scratch building to cut the parts (ie ribs etc). I have only shaped parts that needed to be replaced in a kit so I did that with hand tools and sanding. It seems that if you were doing a lot of parts you would use a better tool (powered). Also, I have somewhat limited space in my shop and am on a budget.

Any suggestions appreciated. Links to the tool are appreciated as well.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:19 PM
May the Wind Always be Good
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2007
495 Posts
////

////
Mr. Kite is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Kite
Last edited by Mr. Kite; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: missed word
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
A guy showed me his gadget for making ribs. I don't remember all the details, but you could rough cut the rib, and then put it in this jig which would ride against the bearing on one of those router bits which are made to follow a template or an edge. I think they're called "flush trim". Lots of companies offer them.

A long time ago, Herk Stokely had a column where he described hot wiring balsa. Very smoky! However, apparently t he results are pretty good. You could hot wire a virtual core and then slice ribs out of it with a power saw or miter box. Obviously you'd want to go slow, using little force, and lots of wire tension. And you'd want to do it outside. I know this seems implausible, but I've hot wired a tree branch myself*, so I suspect it works ok. Best done not too long after a rain as you may have some tiny sparks. Or at least I did.

I suspect if you have steady hands, you could do a fine job cutting a small stack of ribs with a scroll saw or a small band saw. Not cheap unless you can find one that's being thrown away, like I did.

Long ago, I cut 80 or so ribs with an Xacto knife for a model where I spaced them at one inch apart. Even though it was only 1/32 balsa, it was very tedious.

*For the curious, it was approximately a 4 inch branch in an awkward location where I wouldn't have been comfortable with a saw. All I had to do this way was get a wire over it. Wet maple takes a long time to cut with a hot wire, but it works.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by lincoln; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added "with an Xacto knife"
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
New lazer cutters are very nice too!
*shown here in hard to find green

Oh , and a dremal tool W/ EVERY type of attachment, band saw, table saw, routers, drills, jig saw,variable angle circular saw, and LOTS of CLAMPS!!! Did I say two sizes of perma-grit sanding bars?DUST MASK covering iron lots of carbon fiber,DUSK MASK heat gun ,level,soldering iron,, flux, solder,incidence meters computer, computer sailplane design program, printer, pinter paper, a cool fuse jig like Mr. Kite has.....

* man, just go out and buy a moldie & save yourself the $$$ and headache! Ok, I didn't post all the links to tools , but all youREALLY need is a knife and some sand paper....http://www.xacto.com/products/cuttin...t-Locking.aspx
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Dec 07, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Not all the ideas I presented involved lots of money. I think my rig to cut the tree branch cost me maybe $15, and most of that was the really long wires to get up into the tree. All you really need is some scrap wood, a 12V battery (maybe even just get 12V from your car), and some wire. And a small flat table, I guess.

Around here we have a used tool store that I get lots of stuff from. I bet I could pick up a usable router or scroll saw for less than $25.

You can never have too many clamps!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:49 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle flier View Post
I would like to try a scratch build, but it seems to be very slow going when I cut ribs or something.

What tools do most people use when scratch building to cut the parts (ie ribs etc). I have only shaped parts that needed to be replaced in a kit so I did that with hand tools and sanding. It seems that if you were doing a lot of parts you would use a better tool (powered). Also, I have somewhat limited space in my shop and am on a budget.

Any suggestions appreciated. Links to the tool are appreciated as well.
I have now made 2 planes from scratch this year (well, technically the second is almost done but i cut the parts out by hand).

I use Profili to lay out the ribs and make the "plan" - if you have a plan - make a copy (ensure its correct size - not all copiers do it appropriately).

I print out what I need from a rib perspective and then attach via 3M 77 (others I am sure will work with less permanency).

I then cut roughly. I then sand each rib using this belt sander which is hard to be for $39:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-...nder-2485.html

If I have many ribs to make - like in a constant chord wing - I will make 1 rib out of very hard balsa or real plywood (not lite ply) and make it "perfect". Then I put CA glue on the edge to protect it as I use it for a template to cut each rib and sand by hand. For this I use a very thin double stick tape (no foam, just very thin cellophane with adhesive both sides) and or pins to hold the part while I cut it.

Oh yea, I am now allergic to balsa dust - be careful when sanding - use a mask.

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:06 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
Scott, your work looks great, gotta ask about the allergies, what kinda symptoms, I've heard of others with this,
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:02 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Scott, your work looks great, gotta ask about the allergies, what kinda symptoms, I've heard of others with this,
Symptoms are sore throat and dry cough... Mask solves the problem.

Oh yea, CA glue - some really cause my eyes to burn bad - I now use a fan when I do use it although the odorless bother me less. Both, when dry and sanded, will cause me problems so mask again helps that.

I try to avoid using CA but sometimes you just gotta have it! I generally use wood yellow glue, epoxy and then CA in that order.

Scott
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
I have developed allergies to CA, when I have to use it....I put a small fan on top of the table, on low, blowing across the work, and it works great....I also use a lot of thinned wood glue now....I will tack with a drop of thick ca, and then use a small stick and spread thinned wood glue along the rest of the joint, clamp or weigh down.
Mr Smith1 is offline Find More Posts by Mr Smith1
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
What are you waiting for? Go buy you an X-Acto knife and 100 #11 blades, a pack of fine, medium and coarse sand paper and get after it! Git'r done!
Ha! Experiment, test and try your own ideas and see what works for you. These guys have some great ideas, so pick one you really like and seems to suit you and try it out.
Good luck, and be sure and post your results so we can all offer help and some good advise!
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:45 PM
Sweden, Stockholm County, Sollentuna
Joined Aug 2010
217 Posts
I have never scratch-built a wing myself (only a fuse), so this is based of my own wishes combined with what I've read from others.

As mentioned a sharp knife and a steel ruler is a good start. I would love a Permagrit, but it is still on my wishlist. On the other hand I'm very satisfied with a home-made sander made from a 180 grit sandpaper wrapped around three sides of a 12*12mm pine list.

Another thing on my wishlist, which I've read others have had good use of in rib production, is (what I think is called) a disc-sander (please help me out with the English here). I don't need any of the fancy ones, just a disc attached to my electric drill and with a perpendicular table in front of it. Maybe not as exact as the router mentioned earlier, but I think it would fit my wishes better.

Another option is to draw your ribs in any program that could export to DXF, and then send the file to any company that cnc-routs or lasercuts for a small fee. From what I've heard the cost for on-demand production has gone so cheap it's almost a steal (but then again, it's just what I've heard, I haven't tried myself).

/Stefan
SBS_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by SBS_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:45 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
Bandsaw and belt sander make short work of rib sets. A good steel rule, 48" minimum, 72" is better. SHARP knives ... X-Acto #11 and a few others. Sandpaper from 220 to 600 grit, wet/dry. Drill press and a Dremel rotary tool.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
158 Posts
Maybe I am making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I have a fairly large assortment of knives and sandpaper and a dremmel. I was thinking to produce a scratch-built kit most would want a scroll saw or something. Maybe I will just give it a go with what I have. Anyone using a dremmel (I only have the old one) to do the cutting bit? I assume they may have a router or something that works, or do most people use the sanding attachments?
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:31 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,279 Posts
I find router attachment good for alot of things, cutting ribs is not one of them. High speed barrel sanding attachments = moments in high speed! Some use belt sanders on ribs, The don't work w/any rib that has any amout of camber...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:32 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle flier View Post
Maybe I am making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I have a fairly large assortment of knives and sandpaper and a dremmel. I was thinking to produce a scratch-built kit most would want a scroll saw or something. Maybe I will just give it a go with what I have. Anyone using a dremmel (I only have the old one) to do the cutting bit? I assume they may have a router or something that works, or do most people use the sanding attachments?
By attaching the template to each rib and then cutting to the attachment outline, I can make ribs that are highly accurate. It may take 2 hours to cut/sand ribs for a 115" glider (3" rib spacing). And I should note that is 1/16" material that a xacto works just fine on - 1/8" material will take a little more time (not much).

The weakness of the method is when you want to remove some material for example like lightening holes (easy enough to drill hole) where the shape is not circular.

Scott