HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
It connects to a modded servo. Generally, they are used to extend the degrees or a servo. In this case, he is using one on the tilt so a full 90 degree tilt is possible.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>You need a helicopter for conditions like that. <<

I was thinking exactly the same thought when I was on site. Unfortunately I have not maintain my single main rotor helicopter fleet for over a year and I definitely did not bring one with me.

I was shooting in similar wind condition but it was much easier because I only needed stills.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre6553 View Post
What is the pot for and where does it connect?
The external pot is to increase the tilt tray travel. It mechanically connects to the tilt tray on the other side from the pulley. Electronically, it connects to the three wires in the servo that goes to the internal pot.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
I did a couple more test flights / tunings tonight, unfortunately I didn't get home until after dark but I still flew inside as crazy as I could (which was teetering on aauughg!!). I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing, it's not perfect but considering how hard I was hitting the controls in a very tight space I think the gimbal did a really good job. The pitch axis is better than I've gotten on any gimbal before, and only really shows some issues when I go from one extreme to the other flying forward / back really quick. I don't plan on flying like that for shooting video so I can live with that. The roll axis is close but needs a little more work, I think it is mostly because there is a little slop in the belt so once I tighten that up I think roll will be pretty good.

I'm using a CC3D as flight and gimbal controller, my cam stab settings are 22 on the roll axis and 42 on the pitch axis.

gimbal 23oct12 2 (2 min 34 sec)
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:17 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>I did a couple more test flights / tunings tonight,<<

LOL you are really nuts. A big hex and a fan on the ceiling.

Yes the tilt axis does look good. I really doubt we can get our video to be like Zenmuse. That is not reality with the servos we use. We just want a gimbal that will take out some of the major motion in a gusty situation so we have a fighting chance to use software to smooth out the footage.

You are getting some roll bounce. The camera may be not balancing very well on the gimbal.

I noticed that when I use my GH2 the gimbal will drop to the side without the tilt servo. Unfortunately my roll axis position is not adjustable.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Great stuff, matt. Nice flying location as well My wife doesn't like the idea of me flying my "toys" inside. Unless I get that walkera ladybug, she says

I agree with you, Hansen. Your gimbals at about 90%, the CS guys with their HFgimbal or Radians are about 95%, and the Zenmuse is 99.9% IMO. I can live with the 90-95% range if I fly smoothly enough. Heck, I am getting workable footage with the hard mounted camera and the super smooth HF Pro.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Great stuff, matt. Nice flying location as well My wife doesn't like the idea of me flying my "toys" inside. Unless I get that walkera ladybug, she says

I agree with you, Hansen. Your gimbals at about 90%, the CS guys with their HFgimbal or Radians are about 95%, and the Zenmuse is 99.9% IMO. I can live with the 90-95% range if I fly smoothly enough. Heck, I am getting workable footage with the hard mounted camera and the super smooth HF Pro.
Yup, I am happy where we are at. The next incremental improvement will come from a better gimbal controller and even more powerful servos. I am really interested in seeing how Rusty's gimbal will do. He is using the highest torque Hitec servos on his prototype.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
LOL you are really nuts. A big hex and a fan on the ceiling.
Yeah, and i was trying to rock the copter hard side to side and forward and back to boot!

I think the roll bounce is from the belt having a bit of slack in it, it's enough that I can pull the belt out of the gear teeth slightly but not so much that it is going to come out completely. I noticed it a few days ago but didn't feel like taking that cage apart to adjust it, I was hoping it wouldn't be enough to cause a problem once I had it tuned. But I will since I'm pretty sure that is at least part of the problem.

I'm not expecting zenmuse quality, as great as that is I'm happy with as you put it a fighting chance. Keep the horizon level and mostly smooth out the movements in normal flying and I'll be happy, and this gimbal is nearly there. If some roll or tilt shows during flying that's fine, if it's smooth and minimal I would still use it, otherwise I will just cut that part out of the video.

Jc, because of where I live I've been flying inside like this for over a year. It helps that I have 12ft ceilings, though I have pinned my copter to the ceiling a couple times. Also helps that I'm single.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:01 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>It helps that I have 12ft ceilings, though I have pinned my copter to the ceiling a couple times. Also helps that I'm single.<<

That explains a lot.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
direct drive?

why should we "forget" about direct drive?
Do you think a direct drive analog would jitter or something?
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,147 Posts
As far as I understand it, the small steps on all servos, will show on direct drive. With the reduction of the pulleys they become even smaller and unnoticeable.
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
why should we "forget" about direct drive?
Do you think a direct drive analog would jitter or something?
Yes the jitters will show up on the video footage.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
Maybe that's my problem...need to stop feeding my servos coffee.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Mar 2005
611 Posts
I managed to make it outside this evening for a flight...just before it got dark. Got home later than expected, ran up 2 flights of stairs, grabbed my copter, TX, battery, and camera, ran back down 2 flights of stairs, out to the parking lot, set the exposure on my camera, thought I had set the focus, plugged in and took off. As you can see the focus was off, oh well, it's just a test flight.

I didn't have time to do any more adjustments so the roll axis is still a little off, though the little bit that it bounces or leans during the flight is still a lot less than I have gotten with any other gimbal so far, and I would rate it as still being usable, albeit not perfect. But man, look at that pitch axis performance! Every gimbal I've had in the past has really suffered on the pitch axis, and this one is really good! I was hitting the controls pretty hard in all directions and there's only a small amount of noticeable pitch movement at the extremes, and even that isn't too bad. Good job with the design Hansen! I don't even care about how heavy the thing is anymore!

I don't know if I will get to it tonight but I actually have the weekend off (I was supposed to be working all day Saturday), so I will definitely get the roll belt tightened up and get that axis working better. Then hopefully Saturday or Sunday I can go out and get a few real flights in somewhere a little prettier.

gimbal 24oct12 (4 min 45 sec)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:13 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>>I managed to make it outside this evening for a flight...just before it got dark.<<

It sucks when the day gets dark real fast now. You sure sound excited.

I thought you were going to hit the tree when you first took off.

I just did some test flights in my backyard also. It is raining out but I flew in the mist anyway. My footage is very similar to yours. It was pretty windy and I still see some oscillation on my Y6. I am backing down the gain. My dog chewed on one of the lower propellers so I have to use some new props without balancing them. The gimbal is working.

I think we have a very workable gimbal.

I was trying different vibration isolators today. Right now I am using 4 silicone grommets and 4 wire rope isolators on top of the grommets. Pretty smooth considering 3 props were not balanced.

I think your gimbal is working very well. Just wait for a nice sunny day and you should get some gorgeous footage.

Please check the vertical tube and make sure it has not slipped. Pin it if you have time.

Thanks for testing.