HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
229 Posts
Discussion
Fail safes and other heli prtection

I can see (now that I've started purchasing parts for my first large helicopter) that its not uncommon for you guys to have $500-$2000 of 'stuff' flying in the air and that one fatal crash can cost hundreds if not more.

Would there not be a market for parachutes or other deployable devices that would save a helicopter from falling from some of the heights they fly? How about a rocket that would thrust the helicopter to a higher altitude and then deploy a parachute and allow it to safely come to the ground.

I know if I had a large helicopter (600-700 size or greater) at a high altitude and hit rough wind or lost signal, and saw it tubling out of the sky, I would be greatful for an automated recovery system of some type.

Maybe I'm crazy....
broderp is offline Find More Posts by broderp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp View Post
I can see (now that I've started purchasing parts for my first large helicopter) that its not uncommon for you guys to have $500-$2000 of 'stuff' flying in the air and that one fatal crash can cost hundreds if not more.

Would there not be a market for parachutes or other deployable devices that would save a helicopter from falling from some of the heights they fly? How about a rocket that would thrust the helicopter to a higher altitude and then deploy a parachute and allow it to safely come to the ground.

I know if I had a large helicopter (600-700 size or greater) at a high altitude and hit rough wind or lost signal, and saw it tubling out of the sky, I would be greatful for an automated recovery system of some type.

Maybe I'm crazy....
Such devices just would not be practical as electic helis don't just drop or fall out of the sky. They crash because the pilot hits the ground because he becomes disoriented in flight and loses control or gets the heli into a posisition he is not really familiar with and moves the sticks the wrong way. A parachute wold do nothing to assist with these issues as they happen very quickly and it's over before you realize what happened.
Thre are however many advances or "bail out" features that are starting to be available with some of the new flybarless and 3 axis gyros on the market.

I have the Skookum 720 flybarless gyro and it will self level at the flip of a switch on my TX. If I get into trouble all I have to do is lift my stick to gain altitude to get away from the ground and let the self level feature take over. There are also GPS assisted versions that even have self takeoff and "bring me home and land" features, but this technology is not cheap at this time.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
True failsafe for heli is the last settings the rx goes to just in case of rx/tx failure. I'm estimating that more than 80% (may be more) of pilots on this forum do not set failsafe.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,965 Posts
The most important failsafe to set is throttle off.
Not to save the heli, but to reduce the amount of damage it will do to whatever it hits.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:33 PM
Psurvival = 1/ThArrival
Maryland, USA
Joined Jan 2007
8,577 Posts
Absolutely- the throttle failsafe is the only one I do consistently, but I do. I figure on a heli the others probably won't do much good. Back in the PCM days, throttle failsafe could also save your knuckles if you forgot and plugged in the heli before turning on the TX.
osterizer is offline Find More Posts by osterizer
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
i set my cutoff for a few degrees positive pitch and no throttle, hope it never comes to using it but figure it would have some ability to auto rotate down. more likely is that i would maybe have time to shut down the throttle if not in 3d mode which would be in effect about the same as shutting down by the switch. Overall im in agreement with Xrayted and most of my crashes have been over before i knew it was going down. and to design a system to automatically save you from a crash in a fraction of a second would probubly be beyond the cost of and ability of the heli to carry. the saving grace seems to be that the expense of fixing seems to work out more resonable than what the op quoted, not hundreds of dollars but more like the cost of a new set of blades and maybe a bent up rotor head or broken landing gear parts, my crashes have not been unrealistically expensive. i used my last crash with my exi 500 to upgrade to a new fbl head and gyro. so kind of a loose/win situation. lol
bada61265 is offline Find More Posts by bada61265
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:41 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,856 Posts
Blade Holder

I set mine for zero throttle, and a combination of elevator and collective to park the main blades just right for the blade holder. I've yet to pluck up the courage to turn off my TX with the heli in flight, and my usual flying site is probably not large enough for that to be accomplished safely anyway. At least I get to test the operation of the failsafe on the ground at the end of every flying session....
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, NJ, West Orange
Joined Aug 2007
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
True failsafe for heli is the last settings the rx goes to just in case of rx/tx failure. I'm estimating that more than 80% (may be more) of pilots on this forum do not set failsafe.
I set failsafe to neutral cyclic, 0 pitch and 0 throttle, but that just means it'll fall out of the sky like a brick.
nybbler is offline Find More Posts by nybbler
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:28 AM
South Africa, GP, Midrand
Joined Mar 2011
101 Posts
I have a Co-Pilot and set failsafe to zero throttle, -2 collective and Co-Pilot on. I hope that this will result in an auto of some kind. I should also put in a little forward cyclic. That covers a Tx failure.

For the rest, altitude and Co-Pilot, although I still crash, just less.
Adventurer21 is offline Find More Posts by Adventurer21