HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:13 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
am i in the right thread? i thought i started a thread on the Radian Pro? can you guys please move your DLG talk to the right forum, the RP is nothing like one of those

thank you Chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:04 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP123 View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but a metal pushrod inside a carbon tube can cause radio interference. It's generally not a good idea to have two conductive materials in contact with each other if they are not permanently attached to one another (glued, soldered, bolted together tightly, etc.).

Usually there is only a problem when those materials are vibrating against each other, so it may only affect you (if at all) under power, but it can also pick up static electricity from the atmosphere and produce an RF signal. It would be a good idea to do a range check (with a partner securely holding the RP, of course) with power applied to be sure you aren't going to to lose control. Or, you could swap one of the materials out for a non-conductive material.
Thanks for the heads up!!
Well Winter is almost over...The only flying of done as of late is EPP Yak in the bedroom lol...you cant break EPP
Things in the the room well break first..Like your Plastic blinds...Prop rash!!!,and any Models you have on display like my B-25
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:53 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
MAP have you much experience with this yourself? Ill have to check it out via a range test. I hope there won't be interference, it COULD happen tho you are correct. If i notice anything I'll cut throttle..Hopefully my Orange RX with its lil antenna hanging out will stay true!! Just ordered a satellite receiver from HK just for this plane!

is the problem from the carbon rod shielding it, physically has to be blocked?? the rod is so thin, does it create a wall...This is the first time i heard of it..GOOGLE here i come. and I usually take what most things i read with a grain of salt unless its known physics..hehe

Did the range test..had the GF hold the plane up and move and twist, I'm sure the neighbors wondered what the heck she was doing. I eventually found that at 50 paces I had good signal, every which way the plane faced. It was quite easy to tell when signal was lost as the OrangeRX lights up...orange. at 55 paces It would cut out sometimes, depending on the angle of the plane. at 60, It could only grab the signal, then lost it once the RX was blocked in any way. SO it so far, seems alright Wonder what the range will be with the satellite installed
Sproket13 is offline Find More Posts by Sproket13
Last edited by Sproket13; Mar 04, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:51 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
am i in the right thread? i thought i started a thread on the Radian Pro? can you guys please move your DLG talk to the right forum, the RP is nothing like one of those

thank you Chuck
Sorry Chuck. I think it started with someone mentioning that the RP would not be useful as a DLG. The image of someone holding a wing with some frayed servo leads hanging out of the other end comes to mind.

We old farts jump the rails in the train of thought now and then.....wander off from the nursing home and such....
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:57 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproket13 View Post
I think you misunderstood me. I replaced the white outer sheathing with the hollow carbon rod. the carbon rod is the same size if not smaller than the white stock one. Slid right in, definitely was a big more rigid and did not want to stay bent in place. Nothin a lil glue can't cure...Now its super smooth, no problems. Eventually I'll do the rudder as well

I bought a set of Gold N Rods today since the weather is bad this weekend. The outer sheath is larger diameter than the stock junk, but I will get them in one way or another. That binding is not good for the servos and probably has a negative effect on maintaining trim.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:58 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Quote:
MAP have you much experience with this yourself? Ill have to check it out via a range test. I hope there won't be interference, it COULD happen tho you are correct. If i notice anything I'll cut throttle..Hopefully my Orange RX with its lil antenna hanging out will stay true!! Just ordered a satellite receiver from HK just for this plane!

is the problem from the carbon rod shielding it, physically has to be blocked?? the rod is so thin, does it create a wall...This is the first time i heard of it..GOOGLE here i come. and I usually take what most things i read with a grain of salt unless its known physics..hehe
OrangeRX Plus Satellite Is great...haven't had a Prob with the combo or the RX alone yet!!! I ran the Sat lead form the main Belly compartment to the nose/ESC area with ease...under the battery Bay there's a little Tunnel for the Throttle lead to RX. Works great.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
I followed Chuck's youtube tutorial on setting up the Radian Pro with the DX7 and I'm having a problem. When I activate the 3-way flap switch for camber and reflex, the flaps and ailerons move opposite from each other. There is only slight movement which I think is correct for camber/reflex, however the flaps and ailerons do not move in tandem. As the ailerons move"up" slightly, the flaps move "down" just a hair, and vice versa. Can anyone help on this?

PS I just PM'd this to Chuck, but I'm going flying in the morning and I was afraid he may not see it before then. No offense intended, Chuck!
brokeitagain is offline Find More Posts by brokeitagain
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:36 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
Quote:

Did the range test..had the GF hold the plane up and move and twist, I'm sure the neighbors wondered what the heck she was doing. I eventually found that at 50 paces I had good signal, every which way the plane faced. It was quite easy to tell when signal was lost as the OrangeRX lights up...orange. at 55 paces It would cut out sometimes, depending on the angle of the plane. at 60, It could only grab the signal, then lost it once the RX was blocked in any way. SO it so far, seems alright Wonder what the range will be with the satellite installed
Sounds like you might not have any problem, then. I would definitely go with the satellite RX as well, as this should increase your radio range both in distance and the range of angles of orientation between you and your plane where you get a strong signal.

Just to be clear, I've never had this problem myself, but remember that it is very difficult to determine what is the actual cause of signal loss anyway. I do know that an RF signal CAN be produced by two conductive materials being in contact vibrating or just picking up static from the atmosphere. This is generally more of a concern with glow or gas powered planes, since there is much more vibration, but it can happen with electrics and sailplanes, especially since this push rod will be sliding back and forth against the carbon. Push rods, clevises, and control horns can be made from metal or carbon, but you usually try to avoid putting any of those materials against each other because of this effect. For example, you try to go metal push rod - plastic clevis - metal control horn, or plastic push rod - metal clevis - plastic control horn, but not metal - metal - metal, or metal - metal - carbon, or anything like that if you can avoid it.

Also, carbon or metal will block a signal, but that's usually more of a problem for all carbon fuselages (those sailplane guys have to mount the receiver wires outside of the fuse) or if you have a ton of carbon reinforcement in the areas around your receiver. In this case, I wouldn't think that the carbon would have any greater of a blocking effect than the metal push rod itself, in other words very minimal.

Just keep in mind, guys, that the Radian Pro is a sailplane, and we're going to be flying it out far and up high and we want to do everything we can to make sure we have a solid radio connection at all times. While this RF-producing setup may not definitely cause a signal loss on it's own, it could contribute to a signal loss problem if there are any other factors present at any given time. For example: if you are flying really high or far away, AND you happen to be at an orientation where the metal push rod or battery or ESC or something else is directly in line between you and the receiver, AND you have something onboard that is producing an RF signal, it could all add up to a loss of signal. Why take the chance? Personally, I try to eliminate as many of the contributing factors as I can find before hand. Like I said, you may never have a problem.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Mar 04, 2011, 11:46 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeitagain View Post
I followed Chuck's youtube tutorial on setting up the Radian Pro with the DX7 and I'm having a problem. When I activate the 3-way flap switch for camber and reflex, the flaps and ailerons move opposite from each other. There is only slight movement which I think is correct for camber/reflex, however the flaps and ailerons do not move in tandem. As the ailerons move"up" slightly, the flaps move "down" just a hair, and vice versa. Can anyone help on this?

PS I just PM'd this to Chuck, but I'm going flying in the morning and I was afraid he may not see it before then. No offense intended, Chuck!
just answered Brokeit for others that might have this problem i think from memory and myself doing it you need to swap the aileron cables over in the Rx that should fix the problem

Guys, i don't get angry or annoyed with what we all talk about here, after all thats why we are here to chat our shared hobby, (have you seen that Blade mCPX thread i started ) all i was suggesting is we keep on track and not go off on a tangent there are plenty of topics to cover every subject on R/C Groups

anyway back to the chat and flying, if only! the wind has been from 20-35kph all day here and all the past week too, i'm starting to hang out for a fly the sims just not doing it

cheers chuck
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Cool Chuck,No i never seen your Thread on the New Blade. I was considering getting it.
Ill have too Swing by and Check it out!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:13 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Got the Goldn Rods in. Had to ream out the channel to make them flush to the fuselage.

There must be a bend in the channel where it dives under teh surface to go into the servo compartment. The inner rods slide like butter through the outer tube when installing them from the rear....until the last two inches. Then there is a little more resistance. It's much slippier than the wire rods, but not quite as smooth as I would like. Still, my servos will be much happier.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:20 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,445 Posts
Jumpy, did you use the red ones or the blue ones?
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
thanks Chuck....it turns out the wires were ok...I had to make the following adjustment that was opposite what your video had suggested:

Step 2, Setting up Flaps for Camber and Reflex
- contributed by "padair"

"On the rate, set position 0 to -50%
On the rate, set position 1 to -50%"
should read
"On the rate, set position 0 to +50%*
On the rate, set position 1 to +50%*"

This fixed the problem!
Thanks for your assistance, sir.

Greg
brokeitagain is offline Find More Posts by brokeitagain
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:35 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeitagain View Post
thanks Chuck....it turns out the wires were ok...I had to make the following adjustment that was opposite what your video had suggested:

Step 2, Setting up Flaps for Camber and Reflex
- contributed by "padair"

"On the rate, set position 0 to -50%
On the rate, set position 1 to -50%"
should read
"On the rate, set position 0 to +50%*
On the rate, set position 1 to +50%*"

This fixed the problem!
Thanks for your assistance, sir.

Greg
funny that, i have read it before where people need to do the opposite, i did mine exactly how Matt had said and as in the vid and mine works perfect

must be some reason, maybe if Mattfly looks in he can enlighten us

glad you got it sorted, happy flying tomorrow

cheers chuck
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Cool Chuck,No i never seen your Thread on the New Blade. I was considering getting it.
Ill have too Swing by and Check it out!!!
EC78, i was being sarcastic, that thread went feral in one day, it was started on the 3rd of Feb and it's already up to 4446 post and 211,807 views and 297 pages

you can get most of the info thats relevant in the first post i did, then skip 280 pages as we got it here in Australia last week so the last 10 pages have actual info from people who "Own" the Blade mCPX

cheers chuck