2,545 Posts
subscribed
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, OH, Greenville
Joined Oct 2009
163 Posts
Colt's New Citation!!!

Ok fellas, I finally bit the bullet and got the Dyanm Turbojet.. Like all my other planes, I did not do a 'stock' rendition of it!! I did my own thing and patterened mine in honor of a dear friend of mine.. He is into guns and as a special thank you to him, I did this plane. He was also helpful in my getting this plane to begin with, so therefore the dedication to his other hobby!
I have not flown this yet as we fly off a grass field and no way am I going to attempt this until the grass is mowed this spring!! I do fly my other Dynam plane, the Grand Cruiser, Aka Cessna 310, from this field, but on it I added the heavy duty retract from Hobbyking and put larger diameter wheels on it..
I have the new jet set up to take 3 cell or 4 cell batteries.. I just relocate the batteries to maintain the same CG.. With a 3000 mAh 3 cell it balances right at the CG with a RTF weight of 45.8 oz..and with a 3000 mAh 4 cell, same CG and weights in at 48.3 oz. Naturally I need to slide the 4 cell back to get the CG right, but puts out over 750 watts with the stock motors and fans!!
More comments to follow at a latter post.
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
Last edited by orvie6; Feb 28, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2009
163 Posts
The custom decals were made on my printer at home using Avery Clear Lablel sheets. I use the full page label sheets.
The 'cowboy' on the verticle fin is a clip art I downloaded from the internet..it was a black and white clip , so I put it in 'Paint' and added some color to it..The registration number and other lettering was also done with paint.
The 'chrome' on the engine pods was bought at the local Auto Zone and cut to fit around the curved surfaces..It actually turned out better than what I expected..I think it sets off the plane.
By the way..I have no copywrite to the below 'decal sheet', so if you want to use it..feel free to do so!! It prints out on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet.
Last edited by orvie6; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:42 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
It's ready! Hope it flies like a G6.

Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Oct 2009
163 Posts
Jason,
I like it..simple yet different!! Like the color on the tail.. just enough contrast to help with orientation..
You cant see it from the photos..but I put a 'tow hook' right under where the 'doors' are on my plane..I fly from a grass field and not sure the wheels are big enough to allow me to take of..so set it up to bungee launch..will extend the gear for the landings.. Hope to have mine flying as soon as the weather cooperates...been way to windy lately..
Wayne
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
I'm itching to maiden mine!! Gotta wait till it works for my flying buddy Jeff B. as he has this same plane as well, and well... be cool to maiden 'em together. U know, "2 maidens are better than 1!"
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:22 AM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
Jason,
I like it..simple yet different!! Like the color on the tail.. just enough contrast to help with orientation..
You cant see it from the photos..but I put a 'tow hook' right under where the 'doors' are on my plane..I fly from a grass field and not sure the wheels are big enough to allow me to take of..so set it up to bungee launch..will extend the gear for the landings.. Hope to have mine flying as soon as the weather cooperates...been way to windy lately..
Wayne
Thanks Wayne! I like your turbojet - nice custom graphics on the tail. I'm going to copy your idea with the chrome intake/exhaust on the fans - looks sharp. I had to paint my vertical fin red because there will be four of us flying these jets in formation tomorrow at the flying field (RSA).

I received this kit in the mail yesterday and a day later it's done! One of my buddies gave me some insights that I'll pass along to the thread -

1) Re Glue the retract mounts
2) Add a second magnet to the canopy to hold it tight
3) Add two flat 1/4" x 12" carbon spars vertically (cut slit with xacto and thin CA in place) in the wing center section fore and aft of the main spar for better strength in the center
4) Sounds basic - but check all the screws / links for loose nuts/screws
5) Don't go over 100% travel on the gears as they can get confused

Cheers,
Jason
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
The TurboJet flew great this weekend! I get about minutes of flight on 2200 3s 40c batteries - nice! We also had a blast flying some tight patterns with four TurboJets at once! Here's a video of the tight flying - lost of fun!

Dynam Turbo Jet Twin -- Rancho San Antonio -- Formation (3 min 13 sec)

Cheers,
Jason
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:17 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,859 Posts
great Video , looks like fun
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's another angle of this past weekend's Turbojet mayhem.

EDF Formation Rancho San Antonio LOW PASS! (0 min 59 sec)
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:30 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Nice vids. I still have not had the chance to maiden. But Soon! Just need the weather to get better and evening to get a little longer. Great Job, keep the videos coming.
jhblock2002 is offline Find More Posts by jhblock2002
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Just rolled my Turbo Jet out of the paint shop. I shouldn't have any problem with orientation on this one. I added winglets and stall fences to it. Don't know if they will really help, certainly can't hurt anything, besides I like the look with them.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Just rolled my Turbo Jet out of the paint shop. I shouldn't have any problem with orientation on this one. I added winglets and stall fences to it. Don't know if they will really help, certainly can't hurt anything, besides I like the look with them.
That is sweet looking! I really do hate the black windshield - why did they paint it that color???
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
That is sweet looking! I really do hate the black windshield - why did they paint it that color???
Thanks. I agree about the windshield, that's a real puzzler as to why they did that. Just painting the windshield frame white is a big improvement on looks. Had to paint the outside of the frame though, I tried removing the black, which is painted on the inside, and even though I was able to remove all the black when I painted the white it looked light tan on the outside, go figure.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster