HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Thats pretty crappy that the dx7 has a 3 position gyro/flaps switch but only 2 position idle up. It's going to suck getting used to the backwards switches to probably. I wonder if you can maybe cross mix the switches and program them for other functions? Doubtful, but then again, it's not WK were talking about. I suppose it won't be that big a deal.
Oh jeez, I can see flipping what you think is the IU switch and it instead being the TH That's nearly as bad as going for a flip while still in normal.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Oh jeez, I can see flipping what you think is the IU switch and it instead being the TH That's nearly as bad as going for a flip while still in normal.
Yeah, it's kind of what i'm worried about. Though on the 450 with an AR gear it's not such a big deal. It's with these smaller ones with no AR that when the motor comes back on after a throttle cut it comes back on too suddenly and the tail spins out and you loose the heli. That is exactly what i am worried about. Besides that the physical location of the switches is in a different spot too. It's no so much on "top" of the TX like th WK ones are. It's more on the face, sort of like how our DR/Expo switches are. I think the DX6 is a button for TH actually. Not sure. I'm sure razorblade knows more about it. I have not used one, only held one briefly. So hopefully i won't have this happening. Physical relocation of the switches is possible to, but i'd rather just reprogram my muscle memory.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:27 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I thought the 200SD3 and 200SD5 feathering shafts would be the same too. However, they are not. The 200SD3 pack of three shafts are a couple of mm too long. However, all sources were out of stock so I bought 200SD3 shafts hoping they would work and they will after I cut them and the screws off.
Quoting myself - the height of foolishness.

I can only find two vendors who stock parts for the 200SD5. Both are out of stock for the 200SD5 feathering shaft which is about 2.5 mm shorter than the 200SD3 feathering shaft. Since I have six of the 200SD3 shafts, I cut one off today. What remains is four threads inside the shaft. I'm not real comfortable with this and it is a lot of work doing a precision cut but I may get desperate before WOW and WalkeraHelicopterSupply restock and cut off the other four.
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, it's kind of what i'm worried about. Though on the 450 with an AR gear it's not such a big deal. It's with these smaller ones with no AR that when the motor comes back on after a throttle cut it comes back on too suddenly and the tail spins out and you loose the heli. That is exactly what i am worried about. Besides that the physical location of the switches is in a different spot too. It's no so much on "top" of the TX like th WK ones are. It's more on the face, sort of like how our DR/Expo switches are. I think the DX6 is a button for TH actually. Not sure. I'm sure razorblade knows more about it. I have not used one, only held one briefly. So hopefully i won't have this happening. Physical relocation of the switches is possible to, but i'd rather just reprogram my muscle memory.
SWITCH LOCATIONS
On the DX6i, the FM (flight mode) switch and the TH (throttle hold) switch are located on the top of the remote - not on the face of the remote.

But, the FM switch is on the left and the TH switch is on the right. This is opposite to the Walkera 2801 PRO.

And then the DX6i has a total of four switches on top. I have small hands. So I physically swapped the right two switches in order to bring the TH switch closer to the face of the remote.

I haven't tried but I suppose one could also try physically swapping the FM and TH switches?
DUAL RATE COMBI SWITCH
Notice there are three separate switches for dual rates (ELEV, AILE, RUDD). Dual and expo rates can be controlled by their respective dual rate switches or by 1 common switch. Switch choices are: AILE, ELEV, RUDD or FM. I personally use the FM switch.
TIMER SWITCH
Whoopy ding. The switch used to start, stop and reset the timer can be assigned from these switch choices: trainer switch or throttle cut switch. The throttle cut switch is a momentary one meant for gassers (not the same as throttle hold).
razorblade is online now Find More Posts by razorblade
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
SWITCH LOCATIONS
On the DX6i, the FM (flight mode) switch and the TH (throttle hold) switch are located on the top of the remote - not on the face of the remote.

But, the FM switch is on the left and the TH switch is on the right. This is opposite to the Walkera 2801 PRO.

And then the DX6i has a total of four switches on top. I have small hands. So I physically swapped the right two switches in order to bring the TH switch closer to the face of the remote.

I haven't tried but I suppose one could also try physically swapping the FM and TH switches?
DUAL RATE COMBI SWITCH
Notice there are three separate switches for dual rates (ELEV, AILE, RUDD). Dual and expo rates can be controlled by their respective dual rate switches or by 1 common switch. Switch choices are: AILE, ELEV, RUDD or FM. I personally use the FM switch.
TIMER SWITCH
Whoopy ding. The switch used to start, stop and reset the timer can be assigned from these switch choices: trainer switch or throttle cut switch. The throttle cut switch is a momentary one meant for gassers (not the same as throttle hold).
Well Walkera definitely packs more bang for the buck. But i feel like i will have more options owning a spektrum RX. I don't like how they have them setup particularly. Maybe i'll just get the DX6 after all. I suppose a 2801 rx and a microbeast could be as good as a 7200bx and a spektrum? I don't really know if it will matter. But i feel like i will be happier for getting one instead of trusting my 2801-pro, which is now discontinued and will soon be hard to find RXs for.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:37 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Quoting myself - the height of foolishness.

I can only find two vendors who stock parts for the 200SD5. Both are out of stock for the 200SD5 feathering shaft which is about 2.5 mm shorter than the 200SD3 feathering shaft. Since I have six of the 200SD3 shafts, I cut one off today. What remains is four threads inside the shaft. I'm not real comfortable with this and it is a lot of work doing a precision cut but I may get desperate before WOW and WalkeraHelicopterSupply restock and cut off the other four.
So i guess the 200SD3 is the same as the 4f200 then? I don't know i ended up going an alternative route with grips using the 4f200 shafts for the same reasons. Availability.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:55 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
So i guess the 200SD3 is the same as the 4f200 then? I don't know i ended up going an alternative route with grips using the 4f200 shafts for the same reasons. Availability.
I don't know if the two are the same. I think the 4f200 has a longer main shaft.

WalkeraHelicopterSupply special ordered 200SD5 feathering shafts from the factory which allowed me to place an order so now I can get on with my project without having to crank up the dremel chop shop. More later...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:28 AM
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Feb 2012
310 Posts
IntegrityHndywrk,

This evening I found my self reading the AR7200BX manual and came across some info that I thought you would find valuable so here are some quotes from the manual:
Quote:
The AR7200BX is perfect for mini (up to 450 class) helicopters. Using an optional DSMX remote receiver adds necessary path diversity for even the largest electric, glow, gas and turbine-powered helicopters.The AR7200BX is compatible with all Spektrum and JR® aircraft radios that support DSM2™ and DSMX technology.

Important: When using the AR7200BX with larger helicopters (500-size and larger): It is necessary that you connect a DSMX remote receiver (not included) to the AR7200BX before binding.
The DSMX remote receiver is often called a "satellite receiver" and reason for wanting one on a bigger heli is to improve signal diversity by introducing more antennas to prevent a black out due to a bigger heli having more "blind spots" so-to-speak.

There's a DX6i package that comes with a satellite receiver and rechargeable batteries. It costs bout $209. But that's a better price than buying these items separately.

Quote:
Specifications
Type: DSM receiver and BeastX flybarless technology
Channels: 7 (8 channels are available, however, Channel 5 is only used as an internal gain channel for the tail gyro).
Modulation: DSM2, DSMX
Main Receiver Dimensions: 36mm x 28mm x 13 mm/1.42 in x 1.1 in x .51 in (Length x Width x Height)
Main Receiver Weight: 0.66 oz (18.6 g)
Voltage Range: 3.5 to 8.5V
Resolution: 2048
Frame Rate: 11ms
Compatibility: All DSM2 and DSMX aircraft transmitters and module systems
So why is Resolution and Frame Rate important? Because you'd want a transmitter that matches well with the AR7200BX. Although my DX6i is working just fine with the AR7200BX, I currently do not know what the DX6i specs are for frame rate and resolution. The DX7s is speced at 11ms and 22ms frame rates and up to 2048 resolution.

The explanation of resolution gets more interesting...
Quote:
Source (see post #2): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704299

A transmitter tells the receiver where to instruct the servos to go. On a 1024 system, there are 1024 positions available. The receiver converts that number for each channel into a proportional pulse for each servo.

The '1024' number has to accommodate full stick movement, full trims and full throws. You only use all 1024 positions when everything is at an extreme. In other words, you normally use much less than 1024 steps on a 1024 radio.

The amount of servo rotation for each change in position is constant; ie each step is a fixed size. However, the amount of rotation on a 1024 radio will be double that of a 2048 radio. In other words, both may move the servo through 180 degrees but the 2048 system has finer control.

One Tx trim click is about 4 of 1024 steps but this can be adjusted on more expensive radios.

The DX7 and DX8 can have 150% travel each way. This setting gives you the potential for 1024 steps. At the default 100% settings you only get 2/3 throw (100 out of 150% max) from say position 170 to 853 with 511 the center position. So in normal use at default settings you only use about 683 steps of servo resolution with a 1024 radio.

The DX6i only has 125% Travel Adjust each way. So the servos can be made to move between positions 85 to 938. The DX6i cannot make the receiver generate pulses corresponding to positions 0-84 and 939-1023.

The numbers I've used may not be exact but hopefully help explain how the settings work and interract.
Regards, David.
I swear on the 4F200 with the Futaba S3154 cyclic servos, after I installed the AR7200BX, I was able to get more travel on the servos. This is comparing to when the Walkera 2601 TX was used with the S3154 servos. So I am guessing the DX6i has higher resolution than the 2601?

Still learning... I am.
razorblade is online now Find More Posts by razorblade
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:49 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
IntegrityHndywrk,

This evening I found my self reading the AR7200BX manual and came across some info that I thought you would find valuable so here are some quotes from the manual:

The DSMX remote receiver is often called a "satellite receiver" and reason for wanting one on a bigger heli is to improve signal diversity by introducing more antennas to prevent a black out due to a bigger heli having more "blind spots" so-to-speak.

There's a DX6i package that comes with a satellite receiver and rechargeable batteries. It costs bout $209. But that's a better price than buying these items separately.

So why is Resolution and Frame Rate important? Because you'd want a transmitter that matches well with the AR7200BX. Although my DX6i is working just fine with the AR7200BX, I currently do not know what the DX6i specs are for frame rate and resolution. The DX7s is speced at 11ms and 22ms frame rates and up to 2048 resolution.

I swear on the 4F200 with the Futaba S3154 cyclic servos, after I installed the AR7200BX, I was able to get more travel on the servos. This is comparing to when the Walkera 2601 TX was used with the S3154 servos. So I am guessing the DX6i has higher resolution than the 2601?

Still learning... I am.
I don't think Walkera publishes their specs on anything!! (bastards) So it's hard to say what the difference really is. It could use a different resolution all together knowing them. But i have always suspected that the Spektrum TX, even the DX6, would have a higher resolution than any of the WK radios. I wouldn't doubt if all of them are running at 1024. This is why i planned on getting a DX6 or 7 right out. Just to be 100% sure i will have compatibility with what I'm looking at getting.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:24 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:

Still learning... I am.

Something I've noticed on my 2801pro tx - the trim adjustments seem to be at a different (more corse) resolution than the sub trim. It seems like maybe 1.5 to 2 clicks of trim = 1 click of sub trim.

my 2c
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:51 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Something I've noticed on my 2801pro tx - the trim adjustments seem to be at a different (more corse) resolution than the sub trim. It seems like maybe 1.5 to 2 clicks of trim = 1 click of sub trim.

my 2c
I believe i read somewhere that the 2801-pro allows you to adjust the resolution of the trims. I have not looked for, or tried this. But i'm pretty sure i read it somewhere, at some point.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:39 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Got bored with the other helis and re-tuned the 4f200 and brought it out. As usual it was very windy. The heli felt sloppy in the air compared to my other helis so i was really doing gyro adjustment/flight/adjust. This was just one of the better, later flights.

4F200 - Windy 3D fun - 10-12-12 (3 min 21 sec)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:09 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Hey guys, check this thing out! It's either made by Walkera or a perfect clone right down to the tail servo and RX of the V200d03. The canopy has the 4f200/v200 shape but different colors. This is pretty interesting.

http://www.bananahobby.com/matrix-25...FQSunQodO2sANQ

I laughed sooooooo hard watching this video.. Especially about the "I developed" part. The walkera name isn't even on the RX & TX. Then he brings out "his own personal helicopter the trex 250." Which is also funny to me how he starts trying to make the v200 clone look like it's better than a trex.

"It's GOT MY NAME ON IT!" LOL.

MATRIX 250R Flybarless 3D RC Helicopter Flight Review in HD with Pete! (23 min 15 sec)

I wonder if this is a direct rip off or if Walkera is franchising out or something like that. One more thing... When did Walkera get good enough that people would WANT to clone them?
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Yep, it's a V200 badge job. Everything is identical. Not sure what trex 250 he thinks he's comparing to lol!
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
Yep, it's a V200 badge job. Everything is identical. Not sure what trex 250 he thinks he's comparing to lol!
I suppose it's all good as long as it's legit. I just didn't know walkera did this. The video made my day though. LOL

Looks like he has a devo 6 or 2801 for his Trex 250 too. or something like that.