Old Jan 23, 2016, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by DaddyK00l
France, Īle-de-France, Paris
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
Cool
Mini Solius RC FPV + EDF + Gyro + OSD build

Hello,

I show here one of the projects I'm working on, this is based on the Multiplex Mini Solius. I ordered two of it for my children, and I received them twisted so I get 2 more from the seller. Then I discovered a youtube video about Mini Solius RC, which I found very nice. Since I have 2 planes left here, I thought about building a RC one. I searched, ordered parts, and here is what I have so far (yeah I'm a FPV nerd as you can see):

-OrangeRx R415X DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 4Ch Micro 2.4Ghz Receiver
-OrangeRX MicroRX3S 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer DSMX/DSM2 Compatible 4CH 2.4Ghz Rx w/Rem Gain Control
-HobbyKing 2.5g / .17kg / .12sec Micro Servo
-TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9gram Speed Controller
-Turnigy nano-tech 300mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack
-Mini OSD System w/GPS Module
-600TVL 1/4 1.8mm CMOS FPV 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens Camera PAL/NTSC 3.7-5V
-RMRC - 1280MHz Pico Video Transmitter
-EDF 27mm Ducted Fan with 10000KV Motor for RC Aircraft

So this seems to be lot of stuff to put into a such small foam glider... I weighed parts to check, and got those results:

-whole parts with standard Rx (no Gyro) and without GPS antenna: 59g
-whole parts with standard Rx (no Gyro) and with GPS antenna: 79g
-whole parts with Gyro Rx and without GPS antenna: 63g
-full setup with both Gyro Rx and GPS antenna: 83g

Stock plane weight is 55g, but there is a 15g metal ball counterweight into the nose, that will be removed of course. I checked COG and made a few tests, adding some weights on the top of the glider. With the counterweight, and 60g on the fuselage + 15g on each wing, it's flying like a stone. Maybe it could fly with the EDF thrust, but as soon as I will try to glide it will fall down straight to the ground. I tried with the counterweight and only 15g on each wing and it's still flying pretty good.

I tried without counterweight, and with 60g on the top of the fuselage, the plane is still flying, altough stall speed should be much higher now. I just tried hand launching in the garden.

So here is where I am so far, I think that if I use the full setup with Gyro, OSD and GPS, plane will be too heavy. Problem is that if I remove GPS antenna, OSD will become useless. And a mini glider with FPV + OSD would be so cool... Isaw a few Mini Solius RC on the web, they're all under 100g. It seems that beyond this is too heavy. Maybe I can remove Gyro, but it's cool stuff too... I don't really know yet. Any idea, tip or advice is welcome.
DaddyK00l is offline Find More Posts by DaddyK00l
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2016, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Pouncer
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
1,017 Posts
With a 27 mm DF you ideally shouldn't exceed 75 grams all up weight.
So, the airframe weighs about 40 g without nose weight, that's over half your weight budget right there.
And your lightest option without stabilization or GPS/OSD is 59 g, so you're looking at about 100g AUW.
It'll possibly fly at that weight..

The good news: you have a lot of cabling you can shorten and/or replace with smaller sizes. That ESC is probably a little overkill, do you have a smaller 6A you can use?
You can also remove the shrink wrap on various components and use HK 1.7 g servos.
Or use the receiver from Horizon Hobby's UMX Habu or F-16, it has stabilization and built-in ESC and should be substantially lighter.
You could probably achieve an AUW of 80-85 grams, not ideal but OK.

The culprit is the OSD, at 20 grams it's going to be difficult to add to a micro. How much does the ferrite ring weigh? And can you get by without it?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:01 AM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
Yes, I'll remove some wires and connectors and I'll use 30 awg wires where I can to remove weight. Removing shrink wrap, useless stickers and that kind of things can help too. I'll remove foam to make space, but I'll also have to build EDF mount on the other hand.

My ESC weight is 10g. Yes, 10A is a little overkill you're right, this one should fit well: Turnigy Multistar 6A V2 ESC With BLHeli and LBEC 2-3S and seems to be lighter, they say 2g only (without wires and connectorsI think).

Receivers from UNX Habu and F - 16 seems to be those ones: SPMA3165 and SPMA3176. They are pretty expensive, I think it's too much bucks for not so much weight that can be removed.

Maybe it could be more interesting, for nearly the same price, to find a lighter micro OSD, I'll search for that because the real problem here is this heavy OSD antenna. Antenna itself is 14g, wires with connectors and ferrite weight is around 6-7g. I have to test without ferrite to check, but I think it can be removed. I'm using Easy OSD in a Hitec Skyscout where there's no ferrite on the GPS antenna, and it's running fine.

I started working on the tail, but there are still parts that I need to receive like wires and connectors.

Thanks a lot for your useful tips!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
I searched for other micro OSDs with GPS, and found those ones:

-HobbyKing Tiny OSD III (w/10Hz GPS and 80A Current sensor) weight is 41g total, but they don't tell current sensor weight, it seems pretty big. This OSD is just same as Skylark Tiny OSD III With 10Hz GPS And 60A Current Sensor, I found pictures on the web with some weights:
-OSD + GPS + sensor 38g
-OSD + sensor 15g
So GPS antenna seems to be over 20g, which is heavier than the one I already have

-Hobbyking G-OSD 3 Mini OSD System w/GPS Module this one is discontinued from HK but can still be found elsewhere. They say "Main Board - 5.7g / GPS Module - 11.6g" and I can still remove shrink wrap, stickers, ferrite, wires and connector so it could be around 15g or less for main board and GPS antenna, which is the lighter OSD with GPS that I found.

My Mini OSD is:

Main board 5g
GPS Module 15-16g

G-OSD 3 seems a good choice, I found screenshots and it's nice. Maybe I'll give it a try, there are a few more grams to get there.

Also, since Turnigy Multistar 6A V2 ESC With BLHeli and LBEC 2-3S has BEC 0.5A only, I'm wondering if it will be enough for servos, VTx, cam and OSD with GPS. RMRC says VTx is 01.A so it would leave only 0.4A for other components, I don't think it will be enough. Maybe I should bench all components to see their amperage.

It's becoming harder to lighten things here, but there may be a way to keep the full setup as I wanted
Old Jan 24, 2016, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by LKTRSMG
Joined Jan 2015
176 Posts
why not go with a naze32 thin w/ airplane firmware, micro minim osd with MWOSD firmware and a micro gps rx?

Naze32 thin - 4.5g
http://www.banggood.com/Diatone-Naze...p-1024390.html

Micro Minim OSD - 1.2g
http://www.banggood.com/MICRO-MinimO...-p-990556.html

Mini GPS - 9g, maybe 6-7g without case
http://www.banggood.com/Ublox-7-Seri...p-1006319.html

then some solder and wires, keep them short

That should be about 15g for a full RTH autopilot with GPS and OSD. no need for a current sensor, you can use the voltage reading from Naze only
LKTRSMG is offline Find More Posts by LKTRSMG
Last edited by LKTRSMG; Jan 24, 2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
So you mean that this setup will offer autopilot too? Well this is even more than what I was looking for, it really rocks! I didn't intend to use current sensor, which is too big and heavy, this is useless with a micro plane like that. Well I'll search a little about all that. I already have one Minim OSD here, so I can use it. Do you have more informations or interesting readings about this setup with autopilot?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 03:58 AM
Find More Posts by LKTRSMG
Joined Jan 2015
176 Posts
just to be clear - I have not flown the naze with an airplane firmware so far. But from what I've read it works, see this thread here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....for-fixed-wing

there are also some blogs that describe in detail how to setup a naze for planes, links in the thread
LKTRSMG is offline Find More Posts by LKTRSMG
Old Jan 25, 2016, 08:19 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
It seems tricky:

-242pages of reading (I won't read all of that, but there's a lot of things to be learnt here and in many other links about that)
-a lot of flashing, programming, tests, waste of time
-and many upthere had no success using it with fixed wings altough they spent countless hours

Anyway, reading this thread I discovered this: Bigaole 6G-AP Flight Stabilizer with GPS (RTH) which could be interesting for other projects.

So I ordered G-OSD 3 here from the manufacturer: G-OSD3 main board + GPS module combo.

I just benched a few components:

-VTx 0.1A (RMRC is right)
-cam 0.06A
-servo 0.2A each
-Rx with Gyro 0.04A
-OSD I don't have it yet, maybe around 0.1A?

So we have here something like 0.9A, pike can be over 1A. Sure I won't use a 0.5A BEC. Also this kind of 27mm EDF can draw up to 5A as shown here: ADF27-05 Plus 10000kv, this is already 6A draw. I think I'll keep my ESC.

I'll try with this setup:

-Rx with Gyro
-G-OSD 3

And I'll try to remove weight as much as I can to lighten the plane. Anyway, I will have no choice, I must remove foam to make some space for the components.

If it's too heavy, I can still change for Rx without Gyro (5g less), or remove OSD later. If I can stay under 100g it should be OK.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 03:03 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
1,017 Posts
DaddyK00l,

I've been following your project with great interest as micro FPV is where my main interest is at the moment.

But can I share some thoughts about it?

My UMX Mig-15, with a 28 mm fan and 200 mA battery weighs about 75 grams.
I get about 4-6 minutes flying time with it, and that's with throttle management.

You see where I'm going with this?

Even if in theory a 300 mA battery should give you 50% longer flight times you're going to have to fly pretty much at full throttle at 100g AUW, so you're back to a few minutes of flying.
Which begs the question, do you need OSD and GPS, or even a (relatively) heavy 1.3 GHz VTx if you're basically never going to fly beyond visual range?

In my unsolicited opinion I believe you should decide between 1) a ducted fan Solius with basic FPV (no OSD no GPS, and preferably light a 5.8 set up), and 2) a conventionally propped version with all the bells and whistles.
A 180 size out runner should be enough, and lighter than a DF.
And if I've understood correctly you have 2 frames? You could do both...

I hope you'll complete your project, I'm eager to compare notes as I've just received my Hubsan H301S Spy Hawk with GPS and RTH, and I'm pretty sure I can put all that gear in a 600 mm span, 150-200 gram AUW model.

Bonne chance et courage!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
Aeo RC has expensive shipping, but it's also very fast. OSD is already here. So I checked weight and it's lighter than the other one, but the board is bigger.

When shrink wrap, ferrite and wires will be removed it will be much better I think.

I also found a topic explaining that the other cheap HK OSD is G-OSD and can be flashed with another firmware to add nice features: CL-OSD a open source osd software for E-OSD and G-OSD, this is very interesting.

I also ordered this little current sensor: 20A ACS712 Module 5V Measuring Range Current Sensor Hall Board For Arduino new that should fit both OSDs.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 06:18 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
Sorry, I didn't saw your post Pouncer.

Yes, for sure I know that. But anyway, is it really useful to put an EDF into a micro glider? No. Is is useful to add a gyro? Nope. And what about an OSD with GPS? Totally useless. I'm only doing that for fun. I know the plane will be so heavy it won't glide anymore, and I'll only have a few minutes autonomy, but I think it can be enough to go around 1 Km and back, and here is my target: going as far and as fast as I can with this micro, and bring it back in one piece (going far and fast is not a problem, second part is harder...).

And maybe I'll build something more reasonable with the second kit I have here, I'll stil have parts left for it.

I'm still waiting for some parts: connectors, wires, it can take weeks to be delivrered so I must wait before working on this project for now.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:44 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
1,017 Posts
Any news?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
I didn't received all the parts yet, I'm still waiting for some 30 awg wires. But everything is almost there.

By the way, I think Ill put separate wires for elevator servo power supply, and for VTx power supply, because I'm afraid that using same + 5V and Gnd for both could cause interferences in video signal when the servo will be drawing current, if from the same line. Just thinking about how to put all my wires.

I received some kind of cheap dremel tools that can be used with my drill today, this is cheap stuff I bought on Ebay, it's enough for the job, with a good blade. I just started to remove some foam, so all the components can find their location, theres's not so much space in there.

I had to cut a piece of the fuselage so I will be able to disassemble the wings later, because I think I'll put OSD board just there in the middle. I'll have to put a carbon strip so wings won't break because of the hole for the OSD. I put some nylon nuts and screws for my little piece of fuselage, it should be good. I also made a little foam nacelle for the EDF, that will go just on the top of the wings.

I hope I can plug all electronics soon, to check if everything's OK.

It's starting to look like a FPV plane
Last edited by DaddyK00l; Feb 11, 2016 at 04:01 PM.