Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by Gene Chernosky
Village Wizard
United States, TX, Sinton
Joined Sep 2003
252 Posts
Discussion
SIG Tri Star - Motor/ESC/Battery/Prop Suggestions

I just bagged a SIG Tri Star kit on eBay and being a canard/pusher style plane I feel electric power is best suited vs. glow (.09-.15). SIG says the plane is 42-48 ozs in the electric set-up and I'm thinking that could be trimmed down a bit with careful construction, light servos, etc. I would like to stay with a 3 cell/11.1v LiPo to keep weight down a bit, too.

I visited Hobby King's website for ideas on motors and was zeroing in on the G15 series in which 3 models were offered...710kv, 810kv and 950kv. If built quite light the G10 series might do as well, too...they are offered in 810kv, 1100kv and 1200kv.

Glow is something I am quite familiar with, electric...not so much. In YOUR opinion...which motor/ESC/battery/prop would you suggest to go with?
Gene Chernosky is online now Find More Posts by Gene Chernosky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2015, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by Aviron
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
442 Posts
I am working on one too! Just got the wings put together and haven't firmed up my decision on the motor. I plan on using 3s 2200s too.

I am really debating the landing gear (hate hand tossing) but if I do, the prop needs to be small'ish 8-9". I am thinking on using one of these.

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-E-690.htm

I am using one in my converted Sig Wonder on 3s. Spinning 8x8 APCE. Very fast.

The other thing I've read somewhere is that the plane comes out tail heavy so a lighter motor in the back would make sense.
Aviron is online now Find More Posts by Aviron
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:37 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
442 Posts
Some inspiration!
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by Gene Chernosky
Village Wizard
United States, TX, Sinton
Joined Sep 2003
252 Posts
Good Job!

...looks quite nicely built...obviously not your first rodeo.
Gene Chernosky is online now Find More Posts by Gene Chernosky
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by nickeast
nickeast
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Mar 2009
586 Posts
Glad that I found this thread ... I'm working on the TriStar as well.
I'm using this motor:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-C-311.htm

I'm not home now ... but I'll try to gat a few pictures up. Please keep this thread alive and let's swap ideas.
Nck
nickeast is offline Find More Posts by nickeast
Old Aug 01, 2015, 04:43 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
442 Posts
I ended up throwing in this Turnigy motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Has similar specs to he one I was initially looking at. We'll see how long it lasts.

Major assembly is done. Need to start finishing (sanding) and covering. I mocked up the internals to get a sense of where she will balance. It's gonna be tail heavy probably with the battery per plans in the tray. The way I setup my servos, the 3s 2200mah won't fit in the forward area behind the canard. I will probably have nose weight.

My other option is to use a lighter 70gram motor. With the save kV, I'll be thrashing the daylights out of it running it at 300 watts - might work but probably not last long.

Also, I didn't mount the landing gear. I really debated it but the long spindly gear really kills the look of the plane. Of course, I am scared that I will slice my fingers off hand launching this pusher... but I will enlist a helper.
Old Aug 01, 2015, 06:20 PM
nickeast
Joined Mar 2009
586 Posts
Aviron,

If you have pictures of the interior and where things are located I would certainly appreciate it.
I'm still playing with the placement because I hate to add weight ... might move the servos around to accommodate the battery.

Nick
Old Aug 01, 2015, 06:23 PM
nickeast
Joined Mar 2009
586 Posts
Gene,

Check the website for the motor that I'm using ... they are great! One the best features is that they have charts for the best setups for each motor. I find it very helpful.

Nick
Old Aug 01, 2015, 06:45 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
442 Posts
3s pack only fits in 1 place.... haha. Poor planning on my part.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 12:08 PM
nickeast
Joined Mar 2009
586 Posts
Aviron,

You mentioned a Sig Wonder .... Well here's mine. Still need to do a fiberglass cowl bout it's done now.

Thanks for the pictures of the battery ... I suspected that the C/G would be a problem ... since servos are much smaller than they used to be, I'm thinking about where I could change the positions and open up some space for a 2200/ 2600 mAp LIPO. Anything smaller than that for a battery just won't produce enough flight time. I could still mount the servos in the wing and I'm not sure about this but I'll check when I'm back home, maybe mount the canard servo further forward ... moving the ESC forward would also help ...

Nick
Old Aug 02, 2015, 02:49 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
442 Posts
Here's mine. No cowl. Motor gets excellent cooling. I am also lazy. Sense a theme?

Plans for the Tristar show 2 x standard servos at 1.5oz each? 40 grams? say 4-5x more than now.

I didn't mount the servos in the wing. Lazy.

Gonna start covering mine today! and tomorrow is a holiday here so hopefully I have some "dressed" photos to show shortly.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:53 PM
nickeast
Joined Mar 2009
586 Posts
Nice touch ....
Old Aug 05, 2015, 10:54 PM
nickeast
Joined Mar 2009
586 Posts
Instead of standoff for the motor I just increased the length of the fuselage to the point that the prop hub was equal to the prop hub shown in the plans ....

Very nice covering job ...

nick
Old Aug 06, 2015, 11:00 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
442 Posts
Thanks! Covering the Tristar right now - waiting for the iron to heat up.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:38 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
442 Posts
It's getting there - onto final fit out. Big problem.

CG is way off. It's super super tail heavy. I replaced my 100g motor with a 70g, and by my guessing (stacking small lipos on the canard). I'll need about 6-7 oz. in the nose!!!! Even if I put my 3s 2200mah in the front (where it JUST barely fits)... it's far enough about from the end I'll still need 2 oz. UGH.

Plans say batt goes in the belly pan. I'd say if you were planning this from scratch you should plan for the battery to go right in the nose from the start.

Lesson learned. Going to wire some LONG motor leads to get the ESC to the front, and start gluing together chunks of lead. AUW without lead would be 33 oz.