HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jun 12, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by YLFlyer
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Mar 2013
1,303 Posts
I never glued any of my control surfaces to the fuselage. Note sure what the manual is referencing there but no need to glue tail on
YLFlyer is offline Find More Posts by YLFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2015, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,464 Posts
With a plane this size you should never trust what the fms manual says regarding not gluing stuff. Especially the tail plane. Glue it and be sure that it won't be the cause of a crash.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Sep 12, 2015, 06:31 AM
Find More Posts by richie.p
Joined Dec 2013
18 Posts
fms 1700 red tail

Can anyone tell me if they've found this model in the UK ive looked everywhere;
richie.p is offline Find More Posts by richie.p
Old Sep 18, 2015, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by dragon6g
United States, LA, DeRidder
Joined Sep 2012
93 Posts
Hi guys, need some help.
I have both the FMS 1700 mm corsair and the P47. I dont fly the planes very much because I enjoy flying faster planes. Im also the Guy that is running 6S 3000 on the stock 540 motor in,1400 mm FMS warbirds. I know Im really pushing the risk of flying the stock motor of these 1400 mm warbirds on a S6, but the are not that much $$$ if I tear one up and crash it, so I risk it to have screaming speed. Now on my 1700 MM palnes I really dont want to play the same games with running motors to the limit. I put a 100 amp Esc in my P47, and I sometimes run 8S on the stock motor, but Im sure I prob. dont want to keep doing that. My question is what are some of the best motors and props people are using to speed up the 1700 series planes? I have put a mr sound, and bomb drop on these planes and now they become 7 and 8 hundred dollar foam plane so I dont want to risk it. What do I need to get to get these planes a little faster the right way?
dragon6g is offline Find More Posts by dragon6g
Old Sep 22, 2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2013
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon6g View Post
Hi guys, need some help.
I have both the FMS 1700 mm corsair and the P47. I dont fly the planes very much because I enjoy flying faster planes. Im also the Guy that is running 6S 3000 on the stock 540 motor in,1400 mm FMS warbirds. I know Im really pushing the risk of flying the stock motor of these 1400 mm warbirds on a S6, but the are not that much $$$ if I tear one up and crash it, so I risk it to have screaming speed. Now on my 1700 MM palnes I really dont want to play the same games with running motors to the limit. I put a 100 amp Esc in my P47, and I sometimes run 8S on the stock motor, but Im sure I prob. dont want to keep doing that. My question is what are some of the best motors and props people are using to speed up the 1700 series planes? I have put a mr sound, and bomb drop on these planes and now they become 7 and 8 hundred dollar foam plane so I dont want to risk it. What do I need to get to get these planes a little faster the right way?
Many people have suggested using the 360kv motor from the FMS Pitts to replace the 300kv from the 1700 warbirds. I did this, and used a Phoenix ESC with logging capability to look at the result, and posted some observations over on the P-51 thread. It was not impressive. The plane was not a lot faster. It did however suck a lot more current. I think the prop was not spinning 20% faster, therefore the back-EMF was lower, and the remaining voltage drop was consumed in resisitive losses. That happens if you go too high in kv.

I also have seen the 2M T-28 which uses only 6s, and it is way livlier in the sky than the 1700 warbirds, even though its nominal maximum watts per pound (a gross estimate formed by taking ESC current rating x battery voltage / weight) is much lower than the 1700 warbirds. I suppose the airframe could be cleaner, but I doubt this is the case - I think it is more likely that the 4-blade scale prop on the 1700 warbirds is beautiful but inefficient. Others had similar conclusion.

So I would say there are two avenues to success here:
1. Try an ugly 2-blade APC prop that is actually efficient.
2. Go to 8S.

For (2), I would be slightly worried about excessive RPM on that prop though. At what point might it throw a blade? These things aren't spec'd that I know of, and going 4/3 higher in voltage could lead to a high-speed deadly missile being fired out in a random direction.

Anyway, raising kv of the motor on 6S (with or without a new ESC) does not do much. I really wanted that to work after spending the money to do it (including a $120 new ESC). It did not work.
GringoTuerto is offline Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
Old Sep 23, 2015, 02:15 AM
Find More Posts by jpinn
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2006
770 Posts
The 360kv doesn't add a lot of speed but you get a much needed boost in thrust and climb performance. The scale prop isn't shaped for speed, for that you'll need a new prop. It was still a worthwhile investment to make the plane fly like it should have
jpinn is offline Find More Posts by jpinn
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2013
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinn View Post
The 360kv doesn't add a lot of speed but you get a much needed boost in thrust and climb performance. The scale prop isn't shaped for speed, for that you'll need a new prop. It was still a worthwhile investment to make the plane fly like it should have
I would agree it is better in climb. I'm not sure why....I would think higher kv just gives you a higher max RPM, which isn't going to be achieved in a climb. But yes, I think I noticed the same as you - only a minor increase in speed in the high-speed pass, but noticeably better ability to climb.
GringoTuerto is offline Find More Posts by GringoTuerto
Old Oct 02, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,464 Posts
I just think that the stock FMS motors are very low torque and efficiency compared to others in the same category. I use the G46 420kv motor in my FMS FW190 on 4s and 5s, with a fully scale paddle prop and it is a weapon. Tonnes of power and I rarely go above 2/3 throttle. The stock 580kv motor sucked the power and could barely spin the 15" prop fast enough to fly.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by grampi
Joined Jan 2005
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levendis View Post
If you're gonna make a Fw190, consider the A8 rather than the D9 variant. There will be less wing flex, there will be more fuselage room, more liveries to choose from, and many of us think it's better looking than the late model D9s!
Some of us like them both, so why not make both available?
grampi is offline Find More Posts by grampi