Find More Posts by Major Geek
Chaplain
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Apr 2015
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threenaddies View Post
http://youtu.be/ya4h8yHdgFc

I used to think I was pretty good at super-detailing when doing 1/32 warbirds .
This guys work is just unbelievable - a real DaVinci of the modelling world, but you can draw your own conclusions. His B-17 is possibly even more impressive, if that were in fact possible.

Just thought it worth a share even if off-topic.
Thanks for sharing that... that guy is off the chain. That's what I call passionate...
Major Geek is offline Find More Posts by Major Geek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2016, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by Perignon2
United Kingdom, Carlton in Lindrick
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
U/ C issue

Has any one got an answer to the undercarriage leg not locking forward on landing.
Following a wheel loss on the maiden landing the leg dug into the grass forcing the leg back 5 degrees or so. Now on all but the lightest touch downs the leg is always pushed back. I notice there does seem to be a metal trunion available but from photos it does not seem to be identical to the original plastic offering. Any advice welcome.
Perignon2 is offline Find More Posts by Perignon2
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by Mike16
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perignon2 View Post
Has any one got an answer to the undercarriage leg not locking forward on landing.
Following a wheel loss on the maiden landing the leg dug into the grass forcing the leg back 5 degrees or so. Now on all but the lightest touch downs the leg is always pushed back. I notice there does seem to be a metal trunion available but from photos it does not seem to be identical to the original plastic offering. Any advice welcome.
Hi there Perigonon,

I have the original/“mk1” version of this model, with the white undercarriage plastic. I guess you have the post 2014 version with black plastic on the undercarriage and fixed tail wheel. However, the undercarriage for the two models still has some mechanical similarities even though the younger one has no “control unit”.

I have found that hitting the ground with the mains partially retracted, or diving in with them down, delivers a backward force to the u/c legs which is perfect for wrenching the worm screw/shaft out of its gearing. I now have some spare electric motor/gear boxes for just in case I manage to do this again…

What you need to do to find out for sure how bad it is, is to unscrew the four screws that hold the damaged leg in place and carefully lever/rock it out of its mounting recess and then diss-assemble the black plastic u/c unit. It works on the same principle, mechanically, as the original white plastic one. However, it is a bit more delicate and fiddly once dis-assembled. You need to just go slowly and study how it fits together as you take it apart. There is a small circuit board that slots in and tiny wires that thread behind it with really only one way they can go back in without risking being cut by the surrounding plastic corners if routed differently. Anyway, you should be able to see if the electric motor gearbox and its worm gear shaft are repairable or not. They just slot in and are held in place by the surrounding plastic. In my experience with the older model, once the worm shaft was wrenched out of its gearbox, there was no way to get it to go back due to the distortion of the gearbox. Hence my stock of spares!

Earlier on this thread there is reference to an aliexpress website that sells spares big time for "Unique" planes and you could buy a wheel unit from them: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/grou...502616361.html
Alternativelty, I actually have a whole spare wing here in London for the later version of the model, from when I bought a “spare” airframe from the Hobbyking website, who effectively lied to me about which version it was. The wheel recesses are totally different between versions so is not a spare but an alternative as far as my model is concerned. I could part with that if you were interested and we could agree a price/logistics.

Hope that helps in some way.

All the best,
Mike H
Mike16 is offline Find More Posts by Mike16
Old Feb 23, 2016, 02:10 AM
Find More Posts by sorted
New Zealand, Wellington, Upper Hutt
Joined Sep 2009
86 Posts
Have not even looked at this model for several months. Have now removed both retracts and added a washer to the inside of the tyre to try and stop wheel slop on the axle.
Found one of the retract mounts in the wing was loose and there are some small cracks in the foam. Not much meat in this part of the wing. Can see the wing brace under the wiring, don't know why they did not move the bracing back about 5mm and then would have been no need to notch for the retract unit
Anyway CA glued the cracks and regluing the retract mounts back in with expoxy should add back some inherent strength so will go with this fix for now
The other side of the wing around the retracts has cracks in the foam as well so will redo this side as well
Maybe I should learn to take off and land better!!!!
sorted is offline Find More Posts by sorted
Last edited by sorted; Feb 23, 2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
Flight report

London, UK
Dear all,
As mentioned in my long “mods” entry on page 50, here is my flight report since I finally got the weather to fly my UM corsair on two days last week…with-in the end-success! Now happily trimmed in and waiting for the next break in the winter winds! The secret of my success? …in a word “expo” but more of that in a bit.

Ist day turned out to be more windy then forecast, but I gave her a shot anyway. Take off was a piece of cake with the rudder horn now connected on the third from outer hole – so tending to a bigger throw(all other controls horns still on the outer holes) and now I am practiced at slowly getting her running on the mains before unsticking . Once airborne, however, the fight for control was immediately on. On the climb out she had a huge tendency to turn to the left(towards the club house – no fly zone!), which I countered as best as I could, whilst trying to gain height. A right turn to cross wind but she was getting away from me with increasing vertical oscillations. I was on about half throttle to try and keep her from getting too far too quickly. Another turn into down-wind but quite far out now, and the diving and climbing bouts started to become worrying… Should I commit to climbing and sorting it out, but loose everything if I crashed? On the next (big!) vertical oscillation I made a spit second decision to cop out and so closed the throttle and set her down, wheels up, near the bottom of one of those vertical pitches…touch down, out of sight. I dashed over to where she had landed and happily found the only damage to be a broken prop blade and gouge to one wing and decals. Happily long grass and mud had come to my rescue - but I was lucky, a quarry and two large ponds were close by!

Three days later with spare prop/minor repairs done, light winds were forecast again. Having chatted with more experienced club members, I had been mulling over in my mind what had gone wrong. It seems that the pitching up and down could have been due to too little throttle. I knew my c of g was slightly on the nose heavy side, being at 58mm from the leading edge (Rich Baker had said 60-65mm), so surely that was not an issue…? The wind (around 10 mph and gusting) obviously had not helped in the equation. This time it was less then 5mph with perfect vis. I was lucky enough to recruit another experienced club member to stand with me for the flight and observe the symptoms if nothing else. Take off run again was fine...getting comfortable with tail draggers now… but immediately on the climb out I was working hard with trim issues. With some help and moral support from my accomplice we managed to get her trimmed in properly-at least 8 clicks of right aileron trim, and similar down elevator. Still, what a relief to get her properly trimmed...going straight and level into wind - hands off! Then rush to get her down in time for the battery. Success!

Then the crucial element of experience… My fellow club member observed that I was working very hard to control the Corsair, which was looking pretty twitchy in the air…and he prescribed adding some exponential to my TX settings. Expo was something I had not yet tried in my fairly short RC career, so I bit the bullet and added 50% expo to the ailerons, 30% to the elevators. Nothing yet to the rudder(I was still paranoid about control of torque rolls on take off!). In addition to this I decided to add the spare nose weight I had with me – another 15g which easily fitted, stuck to the flat side surface of the nose, under the cowl . Second flight was “peace at last”! It was as if I now had a gyro inside the F4U, the ease of control was so much better! I apologise if everybody has been flying with “expo” added to their TX settings and was taking this as a “given”, but for me this was new. Another safe landing – the UM Corsair runs perfectly from my club field, which is well cut grass. I immediately added the same amount of expo to my Freewing Pandora trainer, which then also handled like a different plane! – and much less twitchy/easier in the wind -which was now getting up…

So, in a nutshell: my set up: extra nose weight added: 55g recessed into front surface of nose(see my previous photos-or Rich Baker’s build guide) and 10+15=25g stuck onto side surface of nose, under the cowel , makes total 80g dead weight I added for that second flight -with no hint of unwanted/nose heavy tendencies. I plan to add a further 5g to the side of the nose for my next flight. Further additional weight to stock model incurred by using 60Amp(Dynamic) UBEC and (Overlander) 3350mAh (4s) battery. Down and side thrust washers as per my previous posting. I Recommend getting help with trimming her in if you lack experience. Finally: I totally recommend you try Expo in your TX setup if you aren’t already a firm believer!

Next step: flight video, when I can persuade my girlfriend to point the camera…

All the best,
Mike H
Last edited by Mike16; Feb 25, 2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: read better
Old Feb 23, 2016, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by symowallo
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
635 Posts
I can relate to the pitching. Check my maiden flight video here:
Unique Models Corsair Maiden (or: Lessons in CG) (1 min 37 sec)

And the subsequent repairs here:
Unique Models Corsair Repair and Re Maiden (8 min 38 sec)

I don't fly with the stock motor, it's gutless (this is a rev 2 Corsair unlike yours). I run about 15-20g of weight in the nose - sometimes 40g. Not much difference between the 2, although I no longer use 2200mAH batteries. All 2650's for me. Thinking about trying a 3300 next, which should add a bit more weight to the front without requiring extra nose weights.
symowallo is online now Find More Posts by symowallo
Old Feb 24, 2016, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by Laserdude
Nampa,ID
Joined Aug 2001
176 Posts
Ready For Maiden

It might happen tomorrow if the weather is as predicted and my wing man is available. I just finished the final balance, at 65 mm per RCInformer, balanced the prop and a spare, rebound the receiver with controls set at my preferred fail safe settings, checked control direction, and ranged checked. All appears to be A OK.
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
Old Feb 24, 2016, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by symowallo
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorted View Post
Have not even looked at this model for several months. Have now removed both retracts and added a washer to the inside of the tyre to try and stop wheel slop on the axle.
Found one of the retract mounts in the wing was loose and there are some small cracks in the foam. Not much meat in this part of the wing. Can see the wing brace under the wiring, don't know why they did not move the bracing back about 5mm and then would have been no need to notch for the retract unit
Anyway CA glued the cracks and regluing the retract mounts back in with expoxy should add back some inherent strength so will go with this fix for now
The other side of the wing around the retracts has cracks in the foam as well so will redo this side as well
Maybe I should learn to take off and land better!!!!
Hi sorted, long time no hear. I must admit I have put my Corsairs on long service leave for the time being whilst I get into 250 quadcopter proximity racing.

I've noticed cracks on the wings of one of my Corsairs too. For the little cracks I just used super thin CA this time around. You're right, they do appear to crack relatively easily. I'm hoping they're just surface cracks though (here's hoping!)

One thing I found after my maiden crash was that the area on the wing above/near the retract, near the front, is quite thin. My maiden crash resulted in enough damage that it had punched a hole through it, but I didn't know it at the time. The cracks opened up and I was able to push my finger through it. Polyurethane fixed it though. Still, it was thinner than I thought it would be in that part of the wing.
symowallo is online now Find More Posts by symowallo
Old Feb 24, 2016, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2016
16 Posts
Re C of G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdude View Post
It might happen tomorrow if the weather is as predicted and my wing man is available. I just finished the final balance, at 65 mm per RCInformer, balanced the prop and a spare, rebound the receiver with controls set at my preferred fail safe settings, checked control direction, and ranged checked. All appears to be A OK.
I wish you some nice weather! Here in London Friday is looking possible... My advice would be to go to the flying field with some balast prepared in order to make the the c of g to 60mm (Rich did say "from 60 to 65" I think) or even a bit less, from the leading edge, just so you are in a position to experiment with more nose weight if you want to....good luck and keep us posted!

Mike16
Old Feb 25, 2016, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by sorted
New Zealand, Wellington, Upper Hutt
Joined Sep 2009
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
Hi sorted, long time no hear. I must admit I have put my Corsairs on long service leave for the time being whilst I get into 250 quadcopter proximity racing.

I've noticed cracks on the wings of one of my Corsairs too. For the little cracks I just used super thin CA this time around. You're right, they do appear to crack relatively easily. I'm hoping they're just surface cracks though (here's hoping!)

One thing I found after my maiden crash was that the area on the wing above/near the retract, near the front, is quite thin. My maiden crash resulted in enough damage that it had punched a hole through it, but I didn't know it at the time. The cracks opened up and I was able to push my finger through it. Polyurethane fixed it though. Still, it was thinner than I thought it would be in that part of the wing.
Left it in the hanger to think about what to do. Decided as much as I fly tail draggers regularly I did not take off/land warbird correctly.
I have a tail dragger 1300mm ws stick I built from a kit (just because I could) and have been practising on this. Also most of my tail draggers have been aerobatic models and full throttle on take off, lift off in 10 feet to go vertical was never a problem.
So hopefully in the next few weeks will have it fixed, might take it down to the local park, to practice in a wide open space for take off and landing instead of our club strip
Also have had a hanger of planes that needed minor remedial work and have completed all of this first
sorted is offline Find More Posts by sorted
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by falcon01
Joined Feb 2013
44 Posts
Mike, where did your CG end up, as in how many MM from the leading edge?
falcon01 is offline Find More Posts by falcon01
Old Feb 26, 2016, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by DekiAKS
Slovenia, Grosuplje
Joined Dec 2014
24 Posts
Hi symowallo ,

I just randomly checked this thread (since I owe a Unique Model PC-9) and I see that you have a hard time finding spare parts for this plane.

You can find a lot of spare parts for UM F4U on aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/grou...502616361.html

Hope it helps (sorry if it was posted before, I only read last page or two).
DekiAKS is online now Find More Posts by DekiAKS
Old Feb 26, 2016, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Laserdude
Nampa,ID
Joined Aug 2001
176 Posts
Maiden Flight update

As I commented a couple of days ago yesterday was planned to be maiden flight day for my Corsair if all the variables were positive. The weather was perfect with the sun out, about 55 degrees and light wind, 3 to 5 mph. RCS, my wing man and flying buddy was ready to go to assist in any way. I loaded up the truck with my plane and support equipment and headed to town to run a few errands and then on to the flying field for my planned meeting with RCS. All is looking good. Phone rang and it was my daughter calling from her work to ask if I could pickup my granddaughter from school as she was sick and running a fever. Grandpa duty trumped the maiden flight and the Corsair is now on hold until the wind lets up again and my wing man is back in town from some business travels. Looks like a couple of weeks or so. I'll keep you informed.
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
Old Feb 26, 2016, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by Albator91120
Joined Feb 2016
1 Posts
Hi....Thanks for this topics. I Ordered the tail motor and the control panel on aliexpress website..
I received them in 12 days in France. installation for testing very easy. The motor is adapted for the space available. The control panel detects the starts and end position. I used an additional lipo 3s for the power supply of the control panel..
The control panel is delivered with the scheme for connection.
Albator91120 is offline Find More Posts by Albator91120
Old Feb 26, 2016, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Major Geek
Chaplain
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Apr 2015
473 Posts
Threenaddies, what has happened to you... Did you go on vacation? Do you have a very big honey do list? Inquiring minds want to know.
Major Geek is offline Find More Posts by Major Geek