Old Feb 07, 2016, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by handyman 220
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcessna View Post
I have had this plane for over four years with many flights. Keep it light... Fly it to the ground. Take it off like a bat out of hell. Plane flys great..landing is the only exciting part. Don't bounce it.. Enjoy. I am betting if you can land the plane OK you will keep it for a a good while.

I think I have made most errors you can make with this plane. It is pretty tough. Make sure you do something to keep the canopy from coming loose in flight and blowing off. Piece of tape on side if nothing else. It can happen. Promise. Landing without the canopy is even more challenging in my humble opinion. I love this plane. Hope you do to..
Thanks for the info. I did read about the cabin blowing off, a couple more magnets or a latch should do the trick. The landing is what was really concerning me and kept me from buying it. I couldn't resist any longer I just love the looks of the plane, the 1930s nostalgia I guess.
handyman 220 is online now Find More Posts by handyman 220
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:25 PM
Find More Posts by capteasy
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
2,378 Posts
I'm an intermediate pilot at best and this plane is just a joy to land for me. I maidened MR MULLIGAN Aug 2014 ad was pretty apprehensive about it. The wing is thin, short and with no dihedral. The fuse is short and fat. It was intimidating to me but after the assembly was complete I loved it's presence. It still intimidates me a bit but has been a joy to fly and the landings continue to be the most satisfying. I'm no expert but I think the high wing and fuselage mass might help to make it more stable than expected.

Anyway I hope anyone interested in getting one will find it just as satisfying to fly as I have and will post their impressions and experience with it....

I like to share photos - hope you like them.

Dick
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
Old Feb 08, 2016, 05:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
Capteasy , it was your posts and pics that sold me on buying the Mr Mulligan. As you said it has a presence, just something about the way it looks I just had to have it. Plus it will also look good with my Stinson.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 05:22 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
2,378 Posts
I'll be anxious to know what you think so please let me know how it turns out....
Old Apr 09, 2016, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by mark l
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2013
487 Posts
Mr Mulligan

It's been a while and I still haven't finished my Mulligan gas conversion but I got bored and bought another one. I'm building this one with all hs 82 mg's, a turnigy sk3 5045 motor, 70 amp esc, Turnig servo speed reducer for the flaps and a 5000ma 5s battery. I'll also be using a Spectrum 7610rx with satellite and a Castle 10A BEC. About 3/4 finished. This particular kit wasn't one of great planes best. Wheel pant holes off center, 3 blind nuts popped off (one in the pants, one on the gear mount and one on the cowl mount) and the horizontal stab was rudder slotted out of square. oh well....it'll look and fly great anyway Just a little extra work.. Cant't wait. Mark p.s. Figured out a nifty way to lock the hatch so it won't blow off in flight. Cleaner and easier than adding magnets! Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Also, add tiny o-rings to the back of the cowl bolts and they stay in place for removal and mounting.
mark l is offline Find More Posts by mark l
Last edited by mark l; Apr 09, 2016 at 01:02 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2016, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by mickydee
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
3,120 Posts
Pictures of the hatch modification when you have a chance please?

Thanks
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Apr 09, 2016, 01:10 AM
Joined Mar 2013
487 Posts
Hatch lock

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. In the mean time, imagine a couple of tabs that lock in if you put the canopy down off to one side and then slide into place. Send me your cell# and I'll text you the pics now.
Old Apr 09, 2016, 01:36 AM
Find More Posts by mickydee
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
3,120 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Mark.

It looks like a simple and effective solution. My flying buddy just uses tape on his Mr. Mulligan. I'm going to show him your solution, ( and use it on my Mr. Mulligan when I get around to building it).

Thanks!
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Apr 09, 2016, 01:41 AM
Joined Mar 2013
487 Posts
Pics

Can you post the ones I sent you?
Old Apr 09, 2016, 01:56 AM
Joined Mar 2013
487 Posts
Mulligan

Also, instead of screwing down the black electronics cover, use it to mark the wooden rails and sink the screws in them. then add magnets to the cover. They stick fine to the screw heads.
Old Apr 09, 2016, 03:53 AM
Joined Jul 2008
943 Posts
I'm interested in how you did the hatch mod, can you still post pics please?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:53 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
2,378 Posts
Glad to see interest in Mister Mulligan is still going strong.

I still enjoy flying mine and discovered what a difference flaps have on speed during regular flight, while control is still positive. However, it has always rolled left due to what appears to be the right wing tip incidence being higher. From what I understand all I need to do is twist it, while heating the cover at the same time and then let it cool. If anyone has any further suggestions please let me know.....
Old Apr 10, 2016, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by wcessna
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
285 Posts
Took Mr Mulligan out for a couple flights today. Still a fun plane to fly and always a little exciting to land.

For my hatch I took a canopy hatch spring loaded from a 3dhs plane and glued it on the horizontal part in front of the fire wall. Drilled a hole thru the firewall and into the canopy with it in place. Glued a piece of hanger wire to the latch which comes out between Pistons on cowl. Never let me down.

You do have to be mindful of the prop. I make sure throttle cut is on, put battery in, put canopy in place, grab pop for safety then pull the spring loaded hatch handle (hanger wire)... Canopy drops in, let go and the pin goes into the canopy. I am sure there are other ways but this one does work and is invisible.
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Apr 10, 2016, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2013
487 Posts
Update on hatch lock

Turns out, I didn't account for the limited side shift once the wing's attached. Still works great but the tab length had to be finely adjusted, (a few strokes with a sanding block did the trick). Got a couple of servos that keep humming till I tap the control surface but I'm betting they'll quiet down as the hinges loosen up. Balances dead level. Finished the build. I'll put on the wing decal after dinner and there's nothing left but the cheers or the sighs. Maiden in the morning. Mark
Old Apr 10, 2016, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2013
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
Glad to see interest in Mister Mulligan is still going strong.

I still enjoy flying mine and discovered what a difference flaps have on speed during regular flight, while control is still positive. However, it has always rolled left due to what appears to be the right wing tip incidence being higher. From what I understand all I need to do is twist it, while heating the cover at the same time and then let it cool. If anyone has any further suggestions please let me know.....
Hi Dick. 2Bfly (2 brothers hobby review) Had the same problem. They shifted the battery to one side. I assume you checked lateral balance. Sight down the flaps and make sure they are the same.