HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 25, 2016, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by TinkerBob
Tinkering is Science
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2014
590 Posts
Red- on page 439 Kurt has a picture of his gear cover and describes how he made it. Kurt has provided many great bits throughout this thread. Nice job cutting out the wheel wells!
TinkerBob is offline Find More Posts by TinkerBob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by red342
United States, NY, Halfmoon
Joined Oct 2015
98 Posts
Thanks! Yea I stumbled upon that post. Thats my move I think. Its cold and crappy so no rush for a maiden.
red342 is online now Find More Posts by red342
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:24 PM
Tinkering is Science
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2014
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red342 View Post
Thanks! Yea I stumbled upon that post. Thats my move I think. Its cold and crappy so no rush for a maiden.
I look at my newly built plane every day and fret. Will I get the CG correct? Will the nose gear hold up? Will the 480 motors draw too much current? And on and on...

I'm forcing myself to hold off doing the gear covers and any detail painting until I know the plane will fly...and that means until oh- late March. My field is too wet until then.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 03:12 AM
Find More Posts by agedflier
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
3,283 Posts
I did something similar to Kurt by just adding covers.. There is not much room to add proper doors in this model even tho it is about the same size as the FMS one...From what I can see your work is pretty tidy so id be inclined to leave as is until later(maiden)..

I think also that the mains sticking out a bit reminds me of the A-10 which was designed that way in case of landing gear failure...
agedflier is online now Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Jan 26, 2016, 09:00 AM
Joined Oct 2015
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
I did something similar to Kurt by just adding covers.. There is not much room to add proper doors in this model even tho it is about the same size as the FMS one...From what I can see your work is pretty tidy so id be inclined to leave as is until later(maiden)..

I think also that the mains sticking out a bit reminds me of the A-10 which was designed that way in case of landing gear failure...
YESSS the A 10. Something kept reminding me of someting. I knew it wasnt a bomber or war bird.. something more modern. Thats it.. the A 10.

Yup im gonna just do covers. Im going to see if i can use the stock doors to experiment then copy onto somthing stiffer.. or maybe leave them, we will see how they come out.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 03:26 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
3,283 Posts
Quote:
YESSS the A 10. Something kept reminding me of someting. I knew it wasnt a bomber or war bird.. something more modern. Thats it.. the A 10.

Yup im gonna just do covers. Im going to see if i can use the stock doors to experiment then copy onto somthing stiffer.. or maybe leave them, we will see how they come out.
I left the stock doors off as they were too flexible.. I have seen stiffer plastic packaging in the local hardware store...lol

Post some pix of the finished work..
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:49 AM
Joined Oct 2015
98 Posts
agedflier- Yea I looked at them again, first time since I took them off 5 minutes after unpacking her, I forgot how flimsy they are. Plus they are not wide enough to cover the modded gear wells. Oh well. Ill probably just leave off for now and work on covers when I am bored one day.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2015
98 Posts
Quote:
I left the stock doors off as they were too flexible.. I have seen stiffer plastic packaging in the local hardware store...lol

Post some pix of the finished work..
I saw your pics of the covers you did. How did you form the wood to keep the curve? Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 04:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
3,283 Posts
Quote:
I saw your pics of the covers you did. How did you form the wood to keep the curve? Thanks!
You wet the balsa wood and then find a container with the diameter you think will give you the curve you want then bend the balsa to shape and stick it to the container with tape and leave it overnight. If your in a hurry you can use a hairdryer (hello dear just drying my hair) To give the balsa some strength spread some CA over the dried surface. A few coats sanded in between...

You do the cutting after it has been shaped....Good luck.

Added some pics of my Rx setup and wiring... I still have to add MAS counter rotating props.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 08:44 AM
Tinkering is Science
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2014
590 Posts
Agedflier-

Very nice mod on those super/turbochargers- a real improvement on the too-large stock molding.

I have considered doing the dual battery mod, but am hesitant due to the added weight. The wing flex on this model is noticeable at the stock weight, and I also am constantly concerned with losing a nose gear when landing in grass. Maybe I just need to find a better flying field!

Also- if one rx has a brown out, both motors are affected, but with a dual rx setup, one motor can cut out and cause a nasty spin...or am I being a bit too wary?

Nice work!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 01:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
3,283 Posts
Tinkerbob..I have only gone the double Rx route... That way a single battery can be slid into the "pod".. I don't know enough about electrics but I would think if there was a brownout both would be effected. I got the idea from an Oz guy who had done it on his B-17 or Lancaster to avoid having to keep connecting the wing wires.
Maybe someone else can help with double "brown outs"
Old Jan 31, 2016, 05:44 PM
Tinkering is Science
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2014
590 Posts
Quote:
Tinkerbob..I have only gone the double Rx route... That way a single battery can be slid into the "pod".. I don't know enough about electrics but I would think if there was a brownout both would be effected. I got the idea from an Oz guy who had done it on his B-17 or Lancaster to avoid having to keep connecting the wing wires.
Maybe someone else can help with double "brown outs"
Gotcha-
That's something that nags at me- I can dead stick pretty well, unless one motor suddenly dies out on a twin.

Again- nice work!
Old Jan 31, 2016, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by mdugas
Joined Aug 2003
809 Posts
plane like b17 would normaly be set so one pack runs outboard moters,the other inboard, so if one pack hits cutoff early doesnt cause a spin,v1 p38 seem set so rpm on both realy drops
pretty evenly near end of pack,like it has soft or no cutoff,when that happens need to get plane on ground before you lose to much power
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas