Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old May 16, 2016, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by corlissbs
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
Discussion
Building The Sternwheel Towboat "Sherrie R."

I have started construction of a 3/8" scale, diesel, sternwheel towboat that I am calling the Sherrie H. It is a composite of several towboats. I used a simplified construction as you will see from the photos. The drive will be a chain and sprocket drive from servolink.com. I made my hull deeper than it should be for stability. Attached is the outline drawing of the boat. The numbers in the windows are for Grandt Line castings.

Brad Smith
corlissbs is offline Find More Posts by corlissbs
Last edited by corlissbs; May 17, 2016 at 02:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2016, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,753 Posts
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 17, 2016, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by herrmill
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,867 Posts
Following. Takes me back to my roots on the Ohio.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old May 17, 2016, 10:32 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
The Hull

Here is my hull. Since I wanted a stable platform for the wheel, I made the sides out of 1"x6" pine and glued the bottom sheets to it. Yes, it should withstand nuclear war.

I wanted a hull that would not tip over, as the Dumas Myrtle Corey does and does not get blown around as some other shallow hull boats do, so I deepened the hull. I had seen a sternwheeler at this year's NAMES show that the owner said he deepened the hull for the same reason and it works great. So I copied the proportions and scaled it up to my size. He had to change from 2 rudders to 3 because of the added depth. Easy adaptation to make

The hull is 24-1/4" long, which is a manageable size.

Brad
Old May 17, 2016, 03:12 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
2,844 Posts

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old May 18, 2016, 10:35 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
The Deck Is Added

I finished the deck. It will be epoxied to the hull after I coat both with fiberglass resin. Since riverboats run low in the water, I added the cowling to keep any water from getting into the hull. I learned that from building the Zippkits Tugster. By the way, Tugster is a lot of fun also.
Old May 18, 2016, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Rmay
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,676 Posts
One of my favorite subjects, but IF I ever plan to build another Sternwheeler Towboat again I would go with a split drive similar to the Wild Goose mentioned here by John Fryant:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=54
With its indipendant drive it has the benefit of being able to turn tighter, and if a one chain snaps you can still get back to shore.

Watching
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old May 18, 2016, 01:42 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
I looked at that possibility. On some of the split drives, each wheel could move independently of the other. One paddlewheeler at the NAMES show had a bevel gear drive and a split wheel. I will post a pic of this boat. I believe that at least one segment of the drive should be O-ring drive belt. Then when somebody tries to move the paddle by hand, there is something there to "give", instead of being solidly geared all the way to the motor.

Some full sized boats had one chain drive and some had a two chain drive. I plan to go with a single chain, since only one chain will be pulling anyway, unless the chain stretches. I am not going to worry about a chain breaking. I can always change this later, if I decide. Never really thought about the chain breaking.
Old May 18, 2016, 03:45 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
Center Drive

Here are 2 pics of the boat at the NAMES show with the split wheel and bevel gear drive.
Old May 18, 2016, 05:55 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
It has been a week since I contacted servolink.com. No reply to my email. They don't answer their phone. The buttons on their website for ordering do not work. I gave up and ordered my chain and sprockets from Micro Mark. It is the same product, but at a higher cost. But al least I will have them.
Old May 22, 2016, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by John Fryant
United States, OH, Maineville
Joined Oct 2008
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corlissbs View Post
It has been a week since I contacted servolink.com. No reply to my email. They don't answer their phone. The buttons on their website for ordering do not work. I gave up and ordered my chain and sprockets from Micro Mark. It is the same product, but at a higher cost. But al least I will have them.
Have you tried www.servocity.com? They have all kinds of stuff, including chain drives, I think.
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant
Old May 31, 2016, 03:42 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
Chain & Sprockets

Thanks, John. I see that I could have got the chain and sprockets from them also. Serve-o-Link finally did call me last week and I was able to place an order. I am waiting for the order to arrive. I would not recommend them to anybody. Use john's distributor.

Brad Smith
Old May 31, 2016, 03:48 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jul 2009
96 Posts
House & Upper Deck

I am gluing the upper deck to the deck house. Lots of weight to hold the contour until the glue dries. The holes fit Grandt Line windows and doors.

Brad Smith
Old May 31, 2016, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,283 Posts
Looking great Brad. Looks like you use everything in the shop to hold things together for gluing. I've used that technique many times. Love sternwheelers, keep the pictures coming. jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old May 31, 2016, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj98501 View Post
Looking great Brad. Looks like you use everything in the shop to hold things together for gluing. I've used that technique many times. Love sternwheelers, keep the pictures coming. jerryj98501
+1 .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon