Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by hazegry
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
Discussion
what to take to the field

how do you guys take your planes to the field and what all do you bring? I see the fancy feild boxes and wonder if they are worth it or not? anyone make thier own?
hazegry is online now Find More Posts by hazegry
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2016, 01:05 AM
Find More Posts by Arceenut
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,418 Posts
I have a field box holding a fuel can and manual pump. A self contained glo driver. A few drivers I may need if the engine needs adjusting and a LiPo powered starter. I have a small tool box holding spare glo plugs, a small jar of miscellaneous screws and fasteners, prop and glo wrenches and a few spare props (I tend to break a few) in the truck. Fortunately I live less than 2 minutes away so if I need anything else, I can go and get it (has rarely happened).
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by Balsaworkbench
A man with a plan
United States, MO, Osceola
Joined Nov 2014
1,288 Posts
I have a field box that I built in 1991. It has a little drawer in the bottom that I rarely open, which contains film canisters (an ancient relic from a bygone era). These containers hold things like spare wheel collars, glow plugs, etc. There is a compartment on one end for a fuel jug and a compartment on the other end for an electric starter. In the main center compartment I have rubber bands, glow plug lighter, screwdrivers, a large cotton rag, and various other doodads and whatnots. Make sure you have a propeller wrench, pliers, small screwdrivers, glow plug wrench, and possibly a large plastic bag to collect scraps if you crash. (Plan for the worst, hope for the best.)
Balsaworkbench is online now Find More Posts by Balsaworkbench
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:52 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
thanks and I still use 35mm film lol
Old Apr 17, 2016, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by grosbeak
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
2,268 Posts
I fly gas exclusively so my load is a little different. Besides airplane, wings and transmitter I bring the following:

Field box with drill starter; contains various tools and spares.

Gas can with fuel pump and more tools:

I also bring a backpack that holds a binder (Contains my radio manual and supplementary documentation and blank pages for flight logs), Windex, paper towel and food and water.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by EloyM
SantaAna CA
Joined Aug 2003
412 Posts
Give it some thought! Are you going out to the field to repair and tinker, or are you going there to fly?
EloyM is online now Find More Posts by EloyM
Old Apr 17, 2016, 01:31 PM
A man with a plan
Joined Nov 2014
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloyM View Post
Give it some thought! Are you going out to the field to repair and tinker, or are you going there to fly?
Plan for the worst, hope for the best. I don't want to turn around and go home just because of a broken prop or a dead glow plug.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by kerwin50
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
8,953 Posts
I think it's a matter of preference. I've used a little of everything.. I've seen tackle boxes, tool boxes. I use a combo ammo box, tx case and single drawer field box if flying glow,
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Apr 17, 2016, 08:37 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
I am used to rc boats I would just take some batts and put around the lake if it had an issue no big deal take it home and fix it. I decided to go with wet fuel rather than elec for my planes because I want the longer flight times and the trainer I got was glow and I am looking at a gas engine for my second plane. on my boats I just stick a big gel cell in them and run forever so the thought of tons of batts like when I ran fast boats did not appeal to me. I think I know what I am going to do for a set up now thanks guys
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
600 Posts

I got a great tool box that was converted into a flight box. I changed the bulky gallon of fuel clamped to the side to an enclosed 1/2 gallon. The power panel is very useful to provide power to the glow starter (read out for Amps is handy to detect a faulty plug). It also has the glow charger, and an electric fuel pump.

I use velcro to secure items to the lid. This way there is less to rummage through.

The box is heavy, but the coroplast divider allows the weight to be distributed evenly. There is enough space for gloves, snack and water for those fantastic long flying sessions.

In the box is a small wrench for prop nuts, CA glue, small screwdrivers for idle adjustments, a glow plug wrench, ear plugs, spare glow plugs (F, A5 A3), voltmeter, spare props, a tach, a timer (not needed now), a spare 1100mAh LiFe rx battery, a chicken stick, kitchen rolls, a small spray bottle of windex... and a 12v SLA.

A small hole on the side of the box allows my Tarannis to be plugged in to charge while in the box (it is internally regulated with LSD NiMH batteries).

I love opening the box and smelling the oil/fuel. My 2 year old seems to love it too.

PD

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
marmalade1 is online now Find More Posts by marmalade1
Old Apr 19, 2016, 06:59 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
thats great guys I think I am going to get one of the big rolling toolboxes and convert that. I have the basket that conects to the trailer hitch for my car and I can just toss it on that.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:41 AM
A man with a plan
Joined Nov 2014
1,288 Posts
It's true, a lot of guys seem to take everything but the kitchen sink. But you can get by with nothing more than fuel, pump, and glow plug battery. I've been working on a flying field here at home, but I have to walk about a quarter of a mile along a path through the woods and cross a creek to get there. When I built a plane to test the runway I fueled it at the house, tuned the engine, then set off with the glow plug battery in my pocket, the plane in one hand, and the transmitter in the other.

I think most of the items on people's lists are the result of some problem that occurred at the field. Years ago everybody used to charge batteries overnight using the charger that came with the radio. Sometimes you would arrive at the field and find your transmitter switch turned on and the batteries dead. Eventually everybody started carrying fast field chargers to eliminate that problem.

The alternative is to respond to each problem by forming a new habit that eliminates it. Remember before you leave home to check your batteries, your glow plug, your propeller, your wheel collars, etc.

You can do it either way. Most of us start with the bare essentials (fuel, pump, glow plug battery) and as each problem arises a decision is made regarding how to prevent a future recurrence. Either add something to the field box, or add an item to the checklist.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by Twodor
Dinosaur
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Feb 2016
314 Posts
My field box has a drawer where I carry a few most commonly used tools, a couple of spare glow plugs, Spare wing bolts, prop wrench and spare prop/spinner nuts and some other odds and ends. There is a gallon fuel can on one end and a 12V SLA in a plexiglas box on the other. My starter sits on top of the battery box.

Then there's the back side that usually faces away from me where I had a little fun making the box into a small airport diner and FBO.

Tom
Twodor is online now Find More Posts by Twodor
Old Apr 19, 2016, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by grosbeak
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
thats great guys I think I am going to get one of the big rolling toolboxes and convert that. I have the basket that conects to the trailer hitch for my car and I can just toss it on that.
That's how I started.

I found out I was bringing stuff I didn't need (like a big lead acid battery and a starter), so I downsized. Now that I'm out of glow there's even LESS stuff to bring.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:15 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grosbeak View Post
That's how I started.

I found out I was bringing stuff I didn't need (like a big lead acid battery and a starter), so I downsized. Now that I'm out of glow there's even LESS stuff to bring.
I think I can make that bottom box into a cooler lol.