Old Nov 30, 2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,641 Posts
Discussion
Kaos 25

Thanks to Ron, I purchased a Kaos short kit and awaiting arrival. I don't know if David designed this or not. Anyway, I will put my NR .28 with a pipe on top of the fuselage. I plan to make a fiberglass canopy to partially cover the pipe just like I did with a SK many years ago.
I received my main gear electric retracts from China in a week's time. They are 4mm struts but appear to be light enough. I still am looking for a nose gear. David suggested the the elite nose gear but it sure has gotten some bum reviews. By the way, the main gear were $10.00 apiece. The problem is that nobody else makes an electric nose gear in that price range. Any suggestions?
Frank Hurd is online now Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2015, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by King of Plane
I apologize for my behavior!
Joined May 2008
1,210 Posts
Hi Frank. The cores and plans were sent to me by a very kind member here by the name of Michael. His name may be on the plan sheet but I do not recall.

My intention and desire is to build a 25 size pattern airplane when Michael responded and offered to cut the cores, and wood pieces as well as send a copy of the plan sheet. That is everything I sold to you.

I have only built from kits in my 51 years and I thought I was going to undertake a scratch build. With closing of the local hobby shop and now only being able to get wood/hardware via Internet shopping, I decided to pass the few pieces to the start of the 25 Kaos to you. I am still going to build a 25 size plane, but am going to start with a more complete kit at the beginning, if that makes any sense.

The cores, plans, and sticks are in route to you Frank and I look forward to your bringing them to life here on Rcg. Regards Ron
King of Plane is offline Find More Posts by King of Plane
Old Dec 03, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
3,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd View Post
Thanks to Ron, I purchased a Kaos short kit and awaiting arrival. I don't know if David designed this or not.
Frank, Ron,

I did draw up a small Kaos in CAD several years ago (I called it a 30). It was meant to be a project for my son and I to build together as his first build (actually second). But life intervened and my son took up other activities. In any event, if the kit that Ron offerd you Frank has foam cores, it's not from my drawings (well, I assume it's not) unless someone took the planform drawing and just cut a foam core wing - it doesn't get much simpler than a Kaos wing core (well, I suppose a constant chord would be easier).

Quote:
Anyway, I will put my NR .28 with a pipe on top of the fuselage. I plan to make a fiberglass canopy to partially cover the pipe just like I did with a SK many years ago.
Frank, that will be an amazing power plant and setup for the model. I don't know how large your Kaos 25 is but it will make an excellent platform for testing out the NR 28RE (in preparation for the Arrow 30... )

Quote:
I received my main gear electric retracts from China in a week's time. They are 4mm struts but appear to be light enough. I still am looking for a nose gear. David suggested the the eflite nose gear but it sure has gotten some bum reviews. By the way, the main gear were $10.00 apiece. The problem is that nobody else makes an electric nose gear in that price range. Any suggestions?
Take a look at what Alemao is doing in his Komet build here. He disassembled a standard main gear to take the problem with vibration out of the equation. it's an inexpensive, relatively risk free approach to fixing the e-tract NG issue. The Chinese units often come with a plate that allows you to flat mount them. The main issue is that the steering mechanism requires a little ingenuity. Then again, you could just build it without steering to simplify things.

Depending on the size of the model, I'd suggest going with 3.5 mm struts. They are plenty strong for 4 lbs and will cut down on unnecessary weight. You'll just need a short brass sleeve at the trunnion to close the 3.5 to 4.00 mm gap. I did it with some gear that came bored for 5 mm struts but used 3/16" instead. The 3/16" ID brass sleeve worked like a charm - no slop.

Have any pics of the kit and plans?

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Last edited by doxilia; Dec 03, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2015, 02:41 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
3,403 Posts
Frank,

also, without intending to distract from your upcoming build, I will be offering a Supra Fly 25 kit in the new year (just need to get all the right cogs in motion). Ron has expressed interest in it for an OS 25SF, which, I couldn't help but point out, is the perfect engine for the model given their acronyms and designations - SF25 & 25SF...

It will be very versatile in build with a top removable canopy section so power can be 2-stroke (piped or muffled) side mounted, 4-stroke inverted or e-power. Plywood mounts will be provided for the power plant desired along with cowl and canopy.

Here's a 2-View showing the model (from the CAD re-design) in it's original colour scheme. Note that the wing and ailerons will be a little different than the original SF25 and will be more like the larger 45 and 60 size siblings. No sheet strip ailerons but rather full length ribs and sheeting - light and straight. Mains only E-Flight type e-tracts.

Oh, if I'm able to swing it, I'm hoping to also include vinyl lettering, decals and trim sheets. It will allow one to simply cover the model in a single base colour - white, yellow, whatever one prefers.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Dec 03, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2015, 04:07 PM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,641 Posts
Supra Fly

David,
Yes, sir, I want one! I saw Hanno fly his at the Pensacola Internats and it was awesome! He used plates on his retract legs in order to slow the plane on down lines. I never saw that before. And, of course, it worked or him. The Supra Fly was supposed to be his "simple airplane" approach to pattern. The man could fly a 2x4 and still win!
Anyway, please let me know when the kit is available. I can't wait for this!
By the way, I am stripping the old covering off my Cosmos 20 that I built years ago and never flew. Two wheel fixed gear on the fuse. Money wise, I am switching back to 25 size aircraft. I love them.
Thank you, David, for spurring my interests.
Frank
Old Dec 03, 2015, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by jzanutto
AMA 73386
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
2,373 Posts
And a Nanorare....
jzanutto is online now Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Dec 03, 2015, 04:30 PM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,641 Posts
Wow!

I checked out Alemao's post and it was brilliant! No weight gain and it appears to be easy-brilliant people make it easy. I will order the elite nose gear and keep the eBay mains. Of course, it is back ordered.
Old Dec 03, 2015, 04:36 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
3,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd View Post
David,
Yes, sir, I want one!
Will be glad to oblige.

Quote:
I saw Hanno fly his at the Pensacola Internats and it was awesome! He used plates on his retract legs in order to slow the plane on down lines. I never saw that before. And, of course, it worked or him. The Supra Fly was supposed to be his "simple airplane" approach to pattern. The man could fly a 2x4 and still win!
I think that one could probably do that on this model as well but its likely not needed given the light weight. Plus, some of these smaller ones are sport pattern models. Hanno's Calypso is perhaps the simplest model I have ever built - easier yet to build than an Ugly Stick.

Quote:
Anyway, please let me know when the kit is available. I can't wait for this!
By the way, I am stripping the old covering off my Cosmos 20 that I built years ago and never flew. Two wheel fixed gear on the fuse. Money wise, I am switching back to 25 size aircraft. I love them.
Thank you, David, for spurring my interests.
Frank
Fuel is expensive but we still need to have fun in our hobby!

I'd love to see some snaps of your Cosmos 20 - old and refreshed!

David
Old Dec 03, 2015, 06:25 PM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,641 Posts
Cosmos 20

I will try to get some shots tomorrow.
Old Dec 05, 2015, 02:30 PM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,641 Posts
Cosmos

Covered the Cosmos with Towercote years ago and it separated the color from the clear and has been a pain removing it. I have resorted to using 80 grit sandpaper and it still looks like crap. I will try to get some shots when I can get it looking better. Not to trash Towercote, it just set to long.
The good news is that the Kaos 25 came in! I will make a fiberglass canopy to house the pipe. I took a Bridi Deception canopy to use on my old Super Kaos and it worked well. I will use the eflite retracts on this one.
Old Dec 05, 2015, 03:09 PM
Joined May 2008
1,210 Posts
Great news!!!! No damage Frank?
Old Dec 05, 2015, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by flyonenow
CPA #100
United States, CA, Perris
Joined Nov 2008
278 Posts
Quote:
Covered the Cosmos with Towercote years ago and it separated the color from the clear and has been a pain removing it. I have resorted to using 80 grit sandpaper and it still looks like crap. I will try to get some shots when I can get it looking better.
One method to remove the color left behind is to take some duct tape, firmly rub it down and then apply some heat with a sock covered covering iron as you carefully pull the tape back up. sometimes just rubbing down the tape and peeling it back up is all it takes.

No matter which way you slice it de covering can be a pain.

Paul
flyonenow is offline Find More Posts by flyonenow
Old Dec 05, 2015, 08:05 PM
Lipoly Killer
Joined Dec 2000
1,641 Posts
Ron

No damage. This is a 15 per cent reduction of a 40 size Ultimate Kaos by Direct Connection. Do you think that I should retain the 1/4" stab goo with something thinner?
Paul , thanks for the tip. I wish that I would asked for help sooner!
Anyway, I am going to try to get some light 1/16" for wing sheeting.
Old Dec 05, 2015, 08:29 PM
Joined May 2008
1,210 Posts
Stab goo?

I don't think I am the one to answer, Frank. Perhaps 3/16" would be plenty with some sort of carbon fiber reinforcing spar set into a routered groove, then covered with some filler?

I bet David would have more knowledgeable advice
Last edited by King of Plane; Dec 05, 2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,552 Posts
the supra fly profile is gorgeous! very attractive.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd