Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by Zytrahus
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Discussion
Eagle Eyes... connection problem?

Hi guys

I am trying to set up my EagleEyes and I am coming to the conclusion that I may not have a good USB connection with my PC.

The unit does power up when just connecting the USB cable which made me think it was OK but at this point not only I cannot get the calibration to start but I also tried to get a live log which doesn't work either...

I kinda had to butcher my USB cable (EE side) in order for it to fit with the enclosure, so I am wondering if I may have damaged it... (did the wiring several months ago and forgot about this until today.

What brand USB cable are you guys using?

I find it weird that the cable is good enough to get it powered but no communication is happening.

Also... could anyone confirm if the EE is supposed to show up in windows hardware manager? I don't see it listed even looking at hardware through connections. (everything else shows up).

Thanks

Steve
Zytrahus is offline Find More Posts by Zytrahus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by JohnET
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
1,052 Posts
Hello,

Does the computer chime when you connect the device to the USB port? Do you see a device pop up in device manager when you plug it in? Do you have a different USB cable you can test with? ( any mini USB cable should work) Can you try another USB port, preferably one on the back of the computer? Do you have another computer you can test with? if you can't get it working, please open a support ticket on our website.

Regards, John
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2015, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Hi John,
No, no sound I plug it in.
I tested before i installed in my ground station but had to take it off the pc enclosure... As none of my usb cable would reach.
Had to use the enclosure for mounting it and so I butchered a usb cable in order for it to fit.
I'll try find other cables today.. And try again

Steve
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:27 AM
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Hi John

I got another cable today but since there is no sound on this PC I really don't know if it's detecting the EE or not..

I am running w7, could you confirm if the EE is supposed to show up in the device manager?

when starting the vector software, am I supposed to be in offline mode? when starting the software with the USB cable plugged in, the dash screen stays there until I hit ESC or enter. not sure if that's normal. but I don't think so.

cable I used today was brand new and gave me the same results as Sunday so maybe I have a bad unit?

no button required to press before plugging the EE? LED's seem to be working fine (telemetry LED is blinking), everything seems really normal other than not being able to communicate with the software.

I'll test is on another laptop next... It's not super practical as it's currently in my GS but I guess I have no other choice.

thanks

Steve
Old Sep 23, 2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by JohnET
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
1,052 Posts
Hello,

Just to be clear, you only connect the Eagle Eyes to a computer to update the firmware or for live-mode, but not to calibrate it. Connect the Vector or OSD Pro to the USB and have the Eagle Eyes powered and receiving video as you would if you were about to fly, then go through the calibration process from within the Vector or OSD Pro software or the stick menus. You must be sure that you the Telemetry LED on the Eagle Eyes is on. If it isn't there is no communication between the Vector/OSD Pro and the Eagle Eyes. Here are a few steps to verify;

- Try connecting the video out of the Vector directly to the Eagle Eyes, bypassing the wireless video system and test again.
- Are both the pan and tilt servos having the same issue? If not, if you swap the servos does the issue stay with the same servo?
- With the system on, can you move the servos by hand or do they resist? If so, then they are not getting power or a valid signal.
- Can you confirm that you are using 12v power source connected to the Eagle Eyes?
- Can you try calibrating from the stick menu as opposed to the software? Any difference?
- Can you try a factory reset of the Vector/OSD Pro and try again? (save your config file to reload afterwards)

If you are unable to get it working, please open a support ticket on our website.

Regards, John
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:40 AM
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Hi John,

Let me clarify:

* PC Running Win7
* EE connected to both USB and 12V (barrel)
* Vector
* Video Transmission is good (good video and telemetry LED blinking - ie receiving signal)

My Vector is not connected to USB for these tests.

- I start the Vector software, go in the EE tab and click calibrate, there nothing happens, I can through the different screens but none of the buttons to move the servo are actually doing anything.
- When powered on, servo are powered but do not move (And I can't move them as they are functioning and locked in position).
- When I click Live mode, nothing happens, nothing is displayed or downloaded (I remember testing this feature when I first got my EE and it worked fine, I didn't have the servo plugged in at that time however).

My Vector is configured and is working fine on its own. It's transmitting data to the EE just fine I suppose (Telemetry LED blinking properly).

I haven't tried upgrading the firmware on the EE yet maybe I'll do that next.
I have not tried calibrating the antenna tracker through the stick menu's yet.

It kind of feels like the EE is not detected when plugged into the computer.

I will try to connect it through my laptop.

not having a brand new cable fitting into the PC enclosure kind of bugs me though.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 04:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Let me ask you this question also:

when reading the manual, the calibration through software is described as:

Quote:
Calibrating Your Tracker using the
Vector
Software
Calibrating your tracker with the Vector software is very similar to the
onscreen menu calibration steps above, so please read tho
se steps first.
To calibrate the tracker
with the software
, click the “Calibrate Tracker”
button on the “EagleEyes and Data Logging” tab. Then, the tracker
calibration wizard (shown at right) will appear. Follow the instructions
in the wizard. Instead
of moving the tracker with your
elevator
stick, the
wizard’s buttons are used.
then next chapter about live telemetry says,

Quote:
The
EagleEyes
Telemetry Function
(Vector)
The
EagleEyes, when coupled with the Vector software
, provides
live
telemetry display of
many
of the Vector’s data reado
uts
. In additio
n to
displaying the telemetry,
the software can save the telemetry to a file for later use, graph the telemetry data in real time or postflight, and show th
e
GPS telemetry data in Google Earth
TM
. An example of the telemetry software scre
en is shown below.
To utilize the telemetry function, just
follow these steps:

C
onnect a USB mini
-
B cable (not included) between your PC,
notebook, or netbook, and the EagleEyes

M
ake sure telemetry is being received by the EagleEyes

the
“Telemetry”
LED should be flashing.

R
un the
Vector
software
(select Offline Mode if the Vector is
not connected to USB)
navigate to the “EagleEyes and Data
Logging” tab, and click the “Show Advanced Telemetry”
checkbox.
The screen shown at right should appear ea
ch time
you start the software, as long as that checkbox remains
checked.

Click the “Live Mode” button.

now my question...

Should I or can I have the EE connected through USB to the PC?
I mean, I do have it connected but should it be connected?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by garris2
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2008
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytrahus View Post
Let me ask you this question also:

when reading the manual, the calibration through software is described as:

then next chapter about live telemetry says,

now my question...

Should I or can I have the EE connected through USB to the PC?
I mean, I do have it connected but should it be connected?
If you want to calibrate your EE for antenna tracking you must not have the EE connected to the USB.

You must have the Vector connected to the USB.

Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Sep 24, 2015, 01:12 AM
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Hi John
I am going to create a support ticket now.

I was able to connect my EE to 2 other computers with vector software and same results on all computers: when clicking the firmware update button, it shows "not connected" all the time. I tried 3 different USB cables and same results on any computer.

I went as far as clicking live mode and starting the calibration routines and no communication is ever established.

and to answer one of your very questions, on these laptops with sound (as opposed to my GS), no chime when the USB cables are plugged in.

So I think I have a defective unit.

thanks
Steve
Old Sep 24, 2015, 01:23 AM
Joined Apr 2007
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
If you want to calibrate your EE for antenna tracking you must not have the EE connected to the USB.

You must have the Vector connected to the USB.

Geoff
thanks for the clarification! This was not clearly stated (to me at least) anywhere... When/if I get my unit back I will do this.

However my latest tests on 2 additional computers showed the device as "not connected" when clicking the update firmware button. so I guess there really must be some kind of problem somewhere
Old Oct 23, 2015, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Genetics101
"TRUTH" , the new hate speech!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2011
557 Posts
I did the identicle thing! I plugged in the EE to the laptop & couldn't get it to calibrate! I sat for hours contemplating another system & sending this one back. Where did I miss these instructions?

There was nowhere I could find in the instructions that mentioned calibrating the EE through the vector FC? I would of never guessed it controlled everything remotely.
Genetics101 is online now Find More Posts by Genetics101
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by Willyspu
United States, CA, Woodside
Joined Mar 2013
476 Posts
This video helped me get my EE going.

Eagle Tree Antenna Tracker Tutorial - RCGroups FPV Video Review (9 min 57 sec)
Willyspu is online now Find More Posts by Willyspu