Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
2,157 Posts
Build Log
Experimental Hotliner...Tomcat 2.5 E Custom Carbon

Introduction to build log:

Ok race fans, before some of you bust a gut….hear me out. It is entirely possible that at the end of this experiment I will say “you told me so” or “this was inevitable” or “stupid is as stupid does!” So with that said and going into this with my eyes WIDE open, do not post what you desperately want to say right now…save it for the culmination however that plays out

Third week in July I was moping around the house missing my Formula HV which, Rest It’s Carbon, passed this spring due to weak eyes and pilot error. That plane was just downright fun and nothing in the current stable of planes really inspired me to go to the field except my (dare I say it) DLG.
Anyway, I have an itch for something big that has been around for two seasons. Yes Yuri, eventually I’ll get over it, but for now I absolutely must scratch that itch which includes something in the 96 to 120 inch range.

I contacted two European makers and was told that there was a 6 to 8 week wait with one maker promising delivery in March 2017. I really wanted an Energic but they are unobtainium right now. Our season here in central Canada is too short for that wait. I have followed Seng’s Attacko 2.9 build with great interest as it was something new and refreshingly different and in stock in several places. Low and behold it is made by RCRCM…Seng loves the plane and has told me so.

I really wanted something a bit closer to the 100 inch mark and did not want an F5B airframe. So I decided to convert and E Sailplane to a Hotliner.

Emailed RCRCM and in the same day (the SAME DAY, that was not a miss print) I got a response. The emails then began to fly back and forth over a three day period with the only delays being me not able to make up my mind or continually adding stuff. I received an invitation to build a “custom” layup according to my specifications. I jumped on it, especially with a guarantee that the plane would be started the next business week.

I requested a Carbon version with double layer of carbon in the wings and double layer of carbon in the fuselage from the front of the wing to the nose and the paint slightly changed and the ugly name taken off. All my requests were agreed to and the communication with Lily their customer service rep was great.

One of the requirements of this order was the speed that the order could be filled. I was given a tentative response of one week. On the seventh day of production I was told it would take a couple of more days than originally expected and on the tenth day, it was shipped and arrived at my door seven days later.

So yesterday I unboxed my RCRCM Tomcat 2.5 Carbon E custom that will be built as a HP Hotliner with absolutely no intentions to ever thermal or slope it. My primary concern is that when the hammer goes down the wings doesn’t fold or the elevator fly off or the nose twists off (like happened to Jacko).

IF….this plane holds up it might be a quick, accessible, customizable…….alternative?????. I am hoping Yuri will make a big one someday but until then this will have to do.

If this thing becomes a LAWN DART the first time I pour the coals to it…well…you have the green light at that point to hurl whatever mud you want this way.

Thoughts, advice, warnings, jokes and general fun are welcome but my extreme brothers what’s done is done and the plane is bought and paid for so let's see what happens.

Here are initial pics:
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by hubcapsteve
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Oct 2013
2,497 Posts
We still love you Arctic.......I think it'll handle coal....
PS. Lily is hot......we've chatted a couple times.......almost pulled the trigger on a typhoon for slope...
hubcapsteve is offline Find More Posts by hubcapsteve
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Joined Nov 2008
646 Posts
arctic,

if you never want to use it as sailplane, why you have ordered it with four ( big) flaps?
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,157 Posts
First problem...

The first problem I encountered and this was realized before it ever arrived and was brought to my attention by Seng. It does not have a rear hatch for the tail servos....... It was already in production so no going back on that one and that will be something I have to think about before I end up building my way into a corner.

My initial impressions...I like what I see so far BUT inspection of the joiner box from the flap servo bay did not make me happy. The amount of glue applied to the walls of the joiner box are in my opinion anemic and that area will have to be modified and beefed up for what I want to do with this plane.

I contacted Lily and she told me she would mention my concern to production in this area.
Last edited by arcticflyer; Aug 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,157 Posts
Steve - I am relieved to know you still love me in spite of this purchase!

SF - My field is very small and very rough....it has to be at a walk (slower than a walk)
for landing or it won't live very long.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB
Joined Oct 2014
683 Posts

Very interested to see how this turns out. Do you know what airfoil this uses?

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:26 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,157 Posts
Mark - I don't know the airfoil numbers.

The nose with the double carbon layers is extremely stiff and in spite of the hatch cannot be twisted...no worries about HP setups...at least in this area.

One of Pete's mounts arrived the same day as the plane...perfect timing and the first order of business was to fit it up. I spent a lot of time getting the little bit of down thrust that was cut into the nose out and the thrust is zero to the wing.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 06:42 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,157 Posts
Total Heartbreak!

Did some preliminary balance tests today by loading up most of the gear and even taping it to certain locations.......to my horror any of the setup options that I envisioned powering this model flew (no pun intended) right out the window.

I now realize the difficulty in transforming an E Sailplane into a hotliner My hope is that the CG that I found for the Choco Fly Targa 2.5 is wrong but I think they are the same plane.

It looks like I am going to need a miracle setup that is super light yet super powerful which I really don't think exists....I wanted to start (just start) at 4KW and begin working up from there but that looks impossible with this particular design.

That tail looks like it is going to house LOTS of gear to include 2 servos which I just ordered....engineering time has arrived
Old Aug 20, 2015, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,396 Posts
Too nose heavy eh? Bummer!
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Aug 20, 2015, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,157 Posts
To nose heavy with a big block chevy...problem is it might be to nose heavy with a small block as well.....I need one of those tiny twin turbo 4 cylinders!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by seng30904
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined May 2007
323 Posts
Hello Skip, I'm glad that you finally got it. It looks great! Props to you for having the insight to contact RCRCM in advance to have it built to your specs. While you were roughing in you CG, did you remember to factor in you Rx battery? I'm not sure how you plan to power your Rx, however, a 4.8v NiMh pack can sometimes do wonderful things when attempting to balance. I've made them up in a "four in a row" configuration, and pushed them all the way down the boom towards the tail. Just a thought...
From what Danny has told me, the Targa is a completely different model, using entirely different moulds. Besides the Targa having the hatch in the fuse (behind the wings trailing edge) to house the tail servos, the wing planform/shape is different.
I'm sure you will figure out how best to outfit this feline. Subscribed by the way..
seng30904 is offline Find More Posts by seng30904
Old Aug 20, 2015, 08:59 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2,497 Posts
+1 on tailboom rx pack, and depending on your controller ....I shaved almost 3 oz. off the castle 200 and I think they are still on sale in clearance section of the castle website....150.00 + shipping
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,157 Posts
Seng - your idea was spot on...taped four double AA's together and dropped them as far back as possible in the fuz...then put my 1115/P29 in the nose with 16x17w 100amp esc and two 3s 2250's shoved back as far as possible and it balanced at 85mm but I am not sure what the CG is supposed to be and before I do anything stupid I need to find out.

I have an Ice 200 as well Steve and might give it a hair cut like yours
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2013
2,497 Posts
That rug is nicer than Yuri's, not as famous, but nicer......BTW, I'm enjoying this Skip, I enjoyed Sengs build too, I'm ready for some more wing......
Old Aug 21, 2015, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by seng30904
United States, SC, North Augusta
Joined May 2007
323 Posts
Just for comparisons sake, what is the all up weight of the bare airframe??
seng30904 is offline Find More Posts by seng30904