New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2013, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by One Halo
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Help!
Micro EDF BAe Hawk static display kit conversion?

Hey guys

Think I posted in the wrong forum, I want to get this jet flying, thought pusher first, but tech advances I have been checking on now make me think EDF, so here's a link to my thread on pushers...Maybe the mods here could move it to here?

Sorry if it annoys anyone for a cross post, but here goes:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904009

Matt
One Halo is offline Find More Posts by One Halo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2013, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by ksqm
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Mar 2009
1,467 Posts
One Halo,

Forgive me my manners, Welcome To RCGs and the Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems forum. Take a look around and I'm sure the guys will be willing to help you out. Additional info you can provide: Wing Span, exhaust diameter, size of inlets, weight of air frame only and with tail feathers. Also, the question everyone may be wanting to ask, any more of the Hawks available??? Could work out to be a good conversion, pusher or EDF. Good Luck!

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jun 02, 2013, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by ksqm
Joined Mar 2009
1,467 Posts
Call me stupid, I googled 1/32 and the WS comes out to ~12.25". So a 25mm - 30mm EDF should work, depending on weight and speed your looking at. There are a couple of Hawk builds you can look at for comparison.

Ksqm
Last edited by ksqm; Jun 02, 2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Call Me Stupid
Old Jun 03, 2013, 04:09 AM
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Call me stupid, I googled 1/32 and the WS comes out to ~12.25". So a 25mm - 30mm EDF should work, depending on weight and speed your looking at. There are a couple of Hawk builds you can look at for comparison.

Ksqm
Thanks

Nice to know it can be done, I have another 30 or so of these coming next week, so will be selling some off.

Should have explained, I'm not new here, my new (well, really an old rebuilt XP desktop) and my password would't work for some weird reason, I went to change it, but it refused to accept the new password codes -tried twice- and out of frustration I made a new regisration, formerly know as Matt Halton on here.
Thanks for the welcome anyway

Where can I buy the 25mm fans from please? HK are BK on the GWS 30mm fans, so am kinda stuck, and a good motor, ESC and lipo recommendation too would be great, plus servos and Rx for an FrSky module in an FC9, or Spektrum DX7?

Lets get some micro EDF Hawks flying worldwide!

Thanks again ksqm

Cheers

Matt
Old Jun 03, 2013, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Some data:

Width across intakes: 53mm
Widest point inside fuse for fan fitting is 25mm, can fit a 25mm fan just behind the wing, no way at any point along the fuse will 30mm go in there.
Intake height is: 25mm, intake width is 12mm.
Exhaust is: 34mm high, and 18mm wide (oval shaped)

Cannot weigh it because my digital scales are broken

Wingspan is 11.5" not 12" as I had estimated.

How are the dimensions looking so far then guys?
Old Jun 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Sound ok?
Old Jun 03, 2013, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,378 Posts
She's going to be a little portly but she'll fly!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Pic fest!

Well, here's where I'm at.

I took my dremel to it after cutting the mould flanges from the fuse halves,sanded each side flat on an A4 piece of 180 grit paper, really could use some wet and dry, so will pick some up next time at the hardware store.

Kept dremeling with a tapered small grinding stone until the red plastic (ABS) appears transluscent in places, holding into sunlight or bright lamp is good for this, the lower fuse half was the thickest of the two, but think I could remove some more as it still look a little dense in places.

Then moved onto the intakes, used the same tool and got pretty good results, the FSA appears to me to be close, if not spot on 100% of the swept fan area.

The taileron linkage is going to be fiddly but doable.

Got my digital scales working - had dirty battery contacts, so is 39 grams, think it needs to get lighter, so might cut away the moulded cockpit interior, with more judicial grinding from inside.
The cockpit canopy sadly is not a great fit, but think I can mould by own later, the rear section isn't high enough, or I may find another way to get around it.

The kit even comes with a nose light lens, so will use that with a small ultra bright LED to run from the lipo pack.

I have to say, this thing looks great, also the kit comes with a nice set of printed decals, unfortunately the centre of each roundel has a hole cut in the white, using the red colour of the fuse to 'paint' it in, only solution is to add some thin white vinyl, or pain white and add the red dot later, but that's a minor issue.

Figured the age of these kits, there is a decal sheet with all pilot names on there to put under the cockpit, I looked on the Red Arrows website and found these names in the 1986 season, so this kit is 27 years old or so. Amazed to find the kit manufacturer was close to where I live!

Here are some pics with text, I want to get my hands on a GWS 30mm impeller, Hobbyking is out of stock, does anyone know where else I can buy one or two please?

Thanks for looking, any input most welcome.

Cheers

Matt
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:05 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,378 Posts
That is one seeeexy little beast (say with Scottish accent!)

Wing fences and tail fins to boot! Sweet!

what diameter is that coin Matt?
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:17 PM
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
That is one seeeexy little beast (say with Scottish accent!)

Wing fences and tail fins to boot! Sweet!

what diameter is that coin Matt?
Lol, yesshh :-)

It is nice isn't it?

The coin is 25mm diameter exactly.

Matt
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by ksqm
Joined Mar 2009
1,467 Posts
NC,

LMAO!!! It's another distraction. I know you're hooked. A 24mm would be a better fit though. I have to admit, I'm also a sucker for this Hawk. Already ran rough numbers, FSA needd for intake and exhaust WILL support up to a 25mm EDF.

Ksqm
Old Jun 05, 2013, 12:30 AM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
9,277 Posts
THE Matt Halton of 70mm tomcat f14 .....Nice!..where can I pick up one of the little Hawks? MY avitar is JHH F4D
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:29 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,378 Posts
@ksqm
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:49 AM
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
NC,

LMAO!!! It's another distraction. I know you're hooked. A 24mm would be a better fit though. I have to admit, I'm also a sucker for this Hawk. Already ran rough numbers, FSA needd for intake and exhaust WILL support up to a 25mm EDF.

Ksqm
Cool, am on the right track then, thanks This is going to be very exciting, hope I can get it completed soon.
Old Jun 05, 2013, 02:59 AM
Joined Jun 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
THE Matt Halton of 70mm tomcat f14 .....Nice!..where can I pick up one of the little Hawks? MY avitar is JHH F4D

Can sell a few, whatever I sell will help fund my hobby further. Was thinking around 10 GBP + shipping (whatever that will be)

Does that sound ok, or do you want to haggle a bit?

These are great little kits, was one of my best finds ever.

Was reading the thread on that beautiful F4 last night,probably one of, if not THE most impressive R/C model I've ever seen, man I'd love one of those.

What attracts me to these smaller models, is that I've always thought how cool it would be to fly a little plastic scale model, and what do you know, now you can, just amazing, you guys do great work, and stand in awe of your achievements.
I guess I'm hooked now too!!

Matt
Nice Skyray TN