Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2008, 02:57 PM
Wood flight decks, guns only!
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
Question
What's A Good "Starter" Jet?

I'm looking to get a turbine jet. I've heard that the Baby Boomerang and Falcon 120 type jets are good starters. But - no offense intended here - as hard as I try, I just can't warm up to the twin-boom design. Plus, especially with the Baby Boomerang, I can't help but wonder after a while if I would "outgrow" it, so to speak.

So, my question is would a jet like the Flash be acceptable as a starter? How about an L-39, or a BAE Hawk? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
VF84Sluggo is offline Find More Posts by VF84Sluggo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2008, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
110 Posts
Reaction 54, F9F Panther, Turbinator and a F-15 are a few that come to mind.
Careoseen is offline Find More Posts by Careoseen
Old Nov 30, 2008, 09:02 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
Interesting. I'd have thought the F-15 would be too advanced. What about an L-39? I was also considering a BAE hawk, but I've heard they have some nasty characteristics.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
110 Posts
Keep the F-15 light and it flies nice and stable. Most of the hawks have a pretty high wing loading and will tip stall.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 08:13 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I've heard, the Hawk can get nasty on the approach turn if you aren't careful.

One of the guys in the club was saying he was getting an F-15 as his first turbine, which to me was counter-intuitive. But, it seems like folks with experience are saying it is a good choice. Any recommendations on who makes a good F-15 kit?
Old Dec 01, 2008, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2007
110 Posts
Everyone says the Yellow F-15 is about the best. Maybe not exactly scale but one of the easiest to fly.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 05:49 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Nov 2007
1,073 Posts
Ok. That's the same model one of the buds in the club is getting for his first turbine. I'll take a look.

I was also looking at the Fei Bao Velox.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 12:47 AM
Joined Jan 2007
110 Posts
Fly Eagle Jets has a nice looking F-15 in various color schemes. It comes with just about everything you need at a good price. Instruction manual isn't much but since its an arf most of the hard work is already done.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 03:27 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Most who fly F-15s will tell you that they are as easy to fly as a trainer
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Dec 03, 2008, 10:55 PM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,021 Posts
What about the non scale?

I was thinking of the Bob Cat or King Cat as a first jet.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Dec 04, 2008, 02:30 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Falcon 120 with a P60 or Wren 54
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:30 AM
T-Rex Mexican
Joined Feb 2006
56 Posts
What about the Cermark F16?, I am in the process of getting one of these as my first turbine.

I got an advice from some friends that have owned the Cermark F16 and they say it is a good entry level turbine jet as its design allows easy and slow predictable high nose landings avoiding tip stalling. Tam jets F 16 has the same design.

It is a cheap kit, just 1300 usd with retracts (not scale but nice), pipe, etc and painted.

So, what do you think?

Best

JC
jcarloslm is offline Find More Posts by jcarloslm
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
harwich essex
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
something that is a delta or lifting body would be ok like a rafale if you want a warbird
bluescoobydoo is offline Find More Posts by bluescoobydoo
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:40 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,007 Posts
Just my two cents:

It's tough to outgrow a turbine jet as long as it has retracts, a decent speed range, and good handling. When you move up to your second jet, it will be easier to get used to the operation of a higher wing loading scale type without drama or undue risk to your work having that experience under your belt. Also, if you get out of flying for the winter or a season you can start back up on the trainer jet to get your feet wet, then on the third flight back, whip out the nice scale job. It gives you options and also redundancy at the field later on.

I have a Reaction 54 that I was concerned about not having enough "juice" to keep me entertained once I got used to the turbine RC jet ops. In opposition of that idea, the reality is I now also have a very well flying "second" jet that I can strap together and fly with confidence if the weather or flying site is not ideal. Starting out simple can be a two pronged approach - the first for getting started and the second for having an airworthy and "old reliable" turbine in the fleet for use at all times, even when the finicky scale job is getting repaired or saved to fly another day.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; May 07, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 10:54 PM
THAT'S WHY
Eastern Ohio
Joined Aug 2004
762 Posts
R-54's sure do fly nice
A Little Bit More Reaction 54 (4 min 49 sec)
causeitflys is offline Find More Posts by causeitflys