HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2007, 03:38 AM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Video
Mig-29 Maiden

Hey guys. Here's my Mig-29 on it's maiden flight. Sorry about the video quality, it had to be compressed a lot to make it a manageable size.
By the way for anyone that tried to download the original file that was posted here, I've replaced it with the one that works now. The first one didn't work.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Last edited by birdlives1955; Jun 21, 2007 at 03:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:10 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Very Nice Flight Matt!!! this is one of the few quicktime movies that my PC can play lol

Now, as "J" Says: Get some PAint on her
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:12 AM
I fly therefore I crash
Torrance, CA
Joined Sep 2006
919 Posts
Matt, Great vid. There is somthing about a Mig in the air that looks so cool. Off to the paint booth...

Fletch
fletchace is offline Find More Posts by fletchace
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:11 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Thanks Tom and Fletch! OK, will do, gonna try and get it painted in the next several days.

By the way, if anyone's having a trouble playing the video, I will try to upload it in another format. Just lemme know.

Matt
Old Jun 21, 2007, 03:56 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, NJ, Clementon
Joined Mar 2005
694 Posts
Nice vid, was song was that? It sounded like metheny.
yamakawazuki is offline Find More Posts by yamakawazuki
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:22 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey thanks man! Yup, it was Pat Metheny, the album I think was Still Life Talking and the song is called Last Train Home.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 06:31 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,504 Posts
Cool, flys pretty good. I guess I need to reread the thread...

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Eric,

Hi! Thanks a lot. It's really fun to fly. Just got another flight in on it today. We got some better video but we still didn't take the tripod. Maybe we will next time.

It still has a weird problem where it won't turn right at full throttle. I don't know how to fix that.... I tried to balnace the wings a little more but it didn't totally fix the problem... Oh well.

I bet a couple of fans in those nacelles would be pretty cool. You'd just need such heavy batteries for two fans though...
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:12 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,504 Posts
I think that Brights design would make a nice Mig 29 EDF. I have thought about it...
I also like pushers just dont fly them much, I had been flying a little pylon plane "Speedster 400" and some EDF with a flat out in between. Maybe a Miggie in the future, say September or October...

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:23 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlives1955
Eric,
It still has a weird problem where it won't turn right at full throttle. I don't know how to fix that.... I tried to balnace the wings a little more but it didn't totally fix the problem... Oh well.
Neat vids Birdy, that Fulcrum looks really mean in the air. Time to paint that sucker! By the way, I think it is always neat to see a couple of pics of the model in the posting so we can admire the handiwork.
re the above problem, if you haven't fixed it, it sounds like it could be a motor thrust line issue hence it becoming noticeable at full throttle. If the front left of the motor is just a smigen ahead the front right in relation to the desired thrust line it would cause the problem you describe. Basically the motor is trying to turn the plane left while the wings are trying to turn it right - end result - you go straight ahead! Easy fix is just to slip a thin washer between the motor mount and the mounting point on the left hand side securing screw and see if that helps. You can adjust this further by using different sized washers till she comes right.
If that doesn't work its probably an aerodynamic problem which will be why it will manifest itself as speed increases. If thats the case its basically a case of trying to find out where on the model the force is coming from.

Look forward to the next vid.

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EPP Eagle
Old Jun 23, 2007, 01:45 AM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Kiwikid,

Hey! Thanks a lot for the info, that's really nice to have. You are right, I will try to include some pictures in the posting for the next video.
About the turning problem, I think you are exactly right. Actually I Pm'ed another builder a couple of days ago who has also built this same plane. He mentioned the same thing, to check the thrust line. Well, I thought I had done it already, but I took his advice and gave it a close look. It was really off! Actually, it was just as you described, the motor had a lot of "left" thrust which I gues made it really hard/impossible for the plane to turn right at full throttle.
So, unfortunately I've already taken the motor mount out. Otherwise I would've tried your washer suggestion, but I will try to keep that in mind for the next time if I have this problem again. I am going to try and re-glue it soon and take it out for another flight soon. Hopefully the problem will have gone away, it would be fun to try some full throttle flying!
Thanks again for the help. I'll try and report back to the thread about whether it fixes the problem or not soon.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:07 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,072 Posts
Very nice flying Matt!! You enjoy to fly the MiG-29!! Thatīs great!!
I like the music, too.

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Jun 25, 2007, 02:43 PM
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Thanks Hans! Glad you liked it! I always enjoy watching your videos too.