Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:54 AM
FDC
Joined Jan 2004
129 Posts
Any PIC programmer recommendations?

Any recommendation on a PIC programmer (within the budget of a newbie that will also be able to use on future PIC chips?) and where to buy online that will ship internationally? Some of the neat DIY projects here uses the pic so a programmer is a must.

TIA!
FDC
FDC is offline Find More Posts by FDC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:55 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
Olimex in Bulgaria have a lot of programmers and development boards for low prices. http://www.olimex.com/dev/index.html I don't know anything about their programmers, but I did just receive some prototype PC boards from them and was quite pleased. It did take almost 2 weeks shipping to the east coast of the US.

PS. You should update your profile to show your location. You would get better answers about where to buy things.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jan 11, 2005, 01:32 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDC
Any recommendation on a PIC programmer (within the budget of a newbie that will also be able to use on future PIC chips?) and where to buy online that will ship internationally? Some of the neat DIY projects here uses the pic so a programmer is a must.

TIA!
FDC

Here is a board we created for the 16fxx series. It's totally stand alone. The board has a programmer section if you wish to seperate it. Plugs directly into your serial port. The processor section can be used for testing and experimentation. Capable of datalogging, ect.

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/picmee.html
The programmer itself can support all the devices that
http://www.ic-prog.net/index1.htm supports

We sell just the PCB board. $10, but most of the parts are easy to find.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Jan 20, 2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 01:51 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
In addition to the MicroChip PICKit1 which is ideal for about half a dozen flash PICs, I use one of the Olimex PIC-PG2C programmes

The device works well, doesn't need any additional power supplies and supports loads of PICs when used with IC-PROG or WinPic.. the plus point is that it only cost $12.95 from Spark Fun
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Jan 12, 2005, 08:25 AM
FDC
Joined Jan 2004
129 Posts
Thanks for the link guys. I'm currently based here in Taipei BTW and unless you know Mandarin or Taiwanese, its almost pointless to look for something here locally that is not really that popular to the masses.

I think I can just make my own serial programmer as the scehmatics are freely available from the site. But I will be getting my own development board from sparkfun for my own practice in programming the pic.

Thanks again!
FDC
FDC is offline Find More Posts by FDC
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:13 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
I realise that its not in your budget (although try ebay), but you can't beat
either the PicStart Plus or the ICD2 from Microchip.
The fact is that there is nothing better
than developing the code AND programming the chip all within MPLAB - it
makes the whole development cycle run much smoother.
I believe that Olimex make an ICD2 clone.
my 2 cents,
Texy
Texy is offline Find More Posts by Texy
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:14 PM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
203 Posts
Another easy to build programmer here:
http://www.myke.com/elcheapo.htm
Cirip
Cirip is offline Find More Posts by Cirip
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:48 PM
Joined Jul 2003
18 Posts
Check out http://www.quasarelectronics.com/pic_programmers.htm

I use their kit3149 serial/usb programmer & the Picstart plus from microchip. However the picstart plus is expensive, but at least you know it will support future chip from Microchip with just a firmware upgrade.

cubanflyer
cubanflyer is offline Find More Posts by cubanflyer
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:11 PM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
Texy, i disagree. I've used a picstart plus extensively and a Warp-13a from www.newfoundelectronics.com beats it hands down in basically every way. $99, and its good enough that I own two.

The ICD I haven't used but I had a friend whose died. Of course, the same friend screwed up a warp-13 and an atmel AVR programmer of some flavour, so maybe thats not representative of the product.
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:54 AM
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jan 2004
183 Posts
I am not really sure but from what i can tell the 12.95 one from Sparkfun will burn all the pics that the 100+ ones do? It also seems to take longer for the burn.(sparkfuns) As for the cheapo one, I don't think I could get the parts for less than 15.55. Thats how much one with shipping will cost me from sparkfun.
Now for the question: I just want to tinker with pics and do some of the simple projects that are found on boards like this one. What do you guys think of the sparkfun one for that? I am sure i am missing many important factors, but any insight would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance
rebuildit is offline Find More Posts by rebuildit
Old Jan 13, 2005, 03:11 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
Get the cheap one. Just make note of the warnings about not working with some laptops and usb serial ports. Most of these low cost serial programmers count on having +/- 9 volt signals on the serial port, and some laptops don't. They won't damage anything, and will work with most PC's.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:09 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Re-buildit, thats effectively why I purchased the $12 programmer from Spark, I'm still learing the ropes, but its nice to download code from projects found on the web and be able to quickly load the PIC and play. If you have a normal PC then the problems with low power comm ports shouldn't be a problem. The Olimex is effectively a comercial version of the JDM programmer which can be found on a few web sites, but I doubt you could make it cheaper and as professional looking at the version from spark fun. The only real downside is that it uses DIL sockets rather than turn pin or ZIF socket, but having said that it is possible to program the PIC whilst its on the CCt board via the lead they supply

hey for $13 go for it.. if you don't like it you haven't lost a lot !
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:11 PM
Ankara/TURKEY
Joined Feb 2004
106 Posts
try these two links; http://mikro.e-technik.uni-ulm.de/re...rogr_interface and http://www.picallw.com/

I have constructed the PICALL programmer couple of years ago and since then using the programmer together with PICALLW software to program my PICs. I had no problem on programming most of the PICs. Just look at the list of PICs it is capable of programming. Since January 1st 2005, even the PICALLW software became FREEWARE

Osman
odalaman is offline Find More Posts by odalaman
Last edited by odalaman; Jan 13, 2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:54 PM
USA
Joined Jun 2002
51 Posts
Any comments on the Warp 13 programmer from Newfoundland Electronics ? Is it 100% MPLAB compatible ?
rajul is offline Find More Posts by rajul
Old Jan 13, 2005, 08:45 PM
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jan 2004
183 Posts
Thanks, I just ordered one..lol
rebuildit is offline Find More Posts by rebuildit