HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Orange Spektrum 6 Ch Rx Channel Order

I'm attempting the 2.4 GHz Lama V3 mod by replacing the 72 MHz receiver portion of the Esky 4 in 1 with a Hobby King Orange Spektrum 6 Ch receiver. I've followed the instructions for the AR6100 Rx at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906538

Unfortunately it appears that the Orange Rx channel order differs from the AR6100 and the workaround mentioned in the link above (mix Rudder to Gear) is not applicable to the Orange Rx.

Does any one know the Channel Order for an Orange Spektrum 6 ch Rx?

I had limited access to a scope and was able to get the following captures. Not sure when I'll be able to wrangle access and was hoping some one has the complete channel order.
webfoot is offline Find More Posts by webfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:40 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,161 Posts
1. Aileron
2. Aux1 (Pitch)
3. Elevator
4. Gear (Gyro)
5. Rudder
6. Throttle

Mixing throttle to Gear (Gyro in heli mode) and connecting the receiver's Gear channel to the 4in1's Throttle channel will hopefully get the results you need.

On the DX6i I did this:-

Model Type: Helicopter
GYRO: Rate 0: 50%, 1: 50%, SW-GYRO
MIX1: THRO -> GYRO, +80% D & U, SW ON, TRIM INH
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Bruce, Thank you. It works

The heli drifts to the left even with max right cyclic. Also it seems to require more power to gain altitude (3 in 1 LED turns red at mid throttle, heli is barely a few inches in the air at that stick position).

I'll play with the swash mix and sub trim for the former, not sure what causes the latter. I'll play with the throttle curve but am not hopeful.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:32 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
The heli drifts to the left even with max right cyclic.
First inspect the swashplate to make sure that the upper and lower parts have not become partially separated, and check that all the ball links (including flybar) are properly clipped over their balls. Then adjust both servo arms so that they are horizontal when the cyclic is centered (reposition the arms on the servo splines and subtrim as necessary). Finally, adjust the servo linkage rod lengths until the heli hovers in one place. After trimming the swashplate should be approximately level.

Quote:
Also it seems to require more power to gain altitude (3 in 1 LED turns red at mid throttle, heli is barely a few inches in the air at that stick position).
The LED turning red indicates maximum power, and normally occurs at just above half stick (not a lot of excess power in this heli!). Not being able get out of ground effect could be caused by a weak battery, chipped or frayed blades, or a bent main shaft.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions.

I incorrectly connected elevator to one of the servos, instead of aux1.

Changing the throttle curve to 100% at mid stick solved the lack of lift.

I can't explain why this fix (map throttle to gyro) works.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:14 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
I can't explain why this fix (map throttle to gyro) works.
The MCU in the E-Sky 4 in 1 is not powerful enough to read both the throttle and rudder channels simultaneously, so it reads the throttle first and then the rudder. In most FM receivers each channel starts immediately after the previous one finishes.

So the 4 in 1 expects to see rudder immediately after throttle, and gets confused by the large gap that occurs when using an Orange RX. Mixing throttle to gyro gets the throttle signal ahead of the rudder signal (with about a 60uS gap between them) and the 4 in 1 is then happy.