Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:16 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,960 Posts
Haven't taken the ol' blue dolphin out for a spin for a long time now. Today I grabbed it and aired it out at the park. No nose cone, did some touch and goes off of a bare patch of ground, and generally just hammered it around the (finally!) still air that we got today. I did notice that my trim is really effected by whether I use a stock Eflite 200 or one of my older and much heavier MA210s. The MA's are getting a little long in the tooth, though they served me well, so prolly need to get some new batteries for this little critter to keep it well fed and zipping across the skies. It sure is stable and fast for a UM.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:21 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
cheers guys i do remember now this mod you talk of. Look i am not sure what part is causing it but i guess when it's flying level the wings are rocking up and down and the tail looks like its fluttering, it is only at full speed this happens or i notice it happening

when you say a glue fillet do you mean a line of glue down each side of the vertical stab? checking my linkages they do seem sloppy, are you using CA for the job?

again thanks for the help you guys are full of great knowledge

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Haven't taken the ol' blue dolphin out for a spin for a long time now. Today I grabbed it and aired it out at the park. No nose cone, did some touch and goes off of a bare patch of ground, and generally just hammered it around the (finally!) still air that we got today. I did notice that my trim is really effected by whether I use a stock Eflite 200 or one of my older and much heavier MA210s. The MA's are getting a little long in the tooth, though they served me well, so prolly need to get some new batteries for this little critter to keep it well fed and zipping across the skies. It sure is stable and fast for a UM.
i fly all my micros these days with the 300mAh Mini Aviation except the Beast which i still use the lighter 210mAh packs. I find the 300's fine for all i want from a battery, i have my timer set for 6 minutes and i fly near on flat out all the time, when i charge they usually take about 150mA so still heaps of power left in them. i just find 6 minutes of solid concentration is enough for this ol bloke

cheers chuck

PS just received 3 more 300's and one of those great new charge boards MA is putting out, now i can charge 6 300's at 3.6 A
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:05 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,535 Posts
Chuck,

Hope this helps...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=727

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:38 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
Thanks RC, i just looked again at mine and yes it needs the fix.

Also Joel, i have a lot of slop in the rudder, much more than the elevator. Do you have any pictures with the fix you talked about, i think i remember you saying ages ago about putting some CA on the wire where it joins the plastic to stop it moving there?

cheers chuck
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Thanks RC, i just looked again at mine and yes it needs the fix.

Also Joel, i have a lot of slop in the rudder, much more than the elevator. Do you have any pictures with the fix you talked about, i think i remember you saying ages ago about putting some CA on the wire where it joins the plastic to stop it moving there?

cheers chuck
Chuck,

I don't have any pics, but it's pretty straightforward. I put a small drop of ca in the control horn hole, with the pushrod in place. After the ca cured, I just broke the pushrod loose with my fingers, leaving a ca 'bearing' that removes the slop in the horn. I also tweaked the rudder pushrod bit to improve the geometry & make it more of a straight path.

Here's what happened to mine at WOT on 3s before I braced the horizontal stab. Definitely got my attention!

Sbach 3D on 3s - catastrophic horizontal stab flutter! (3 min 46 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:07 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,118 Posts
Joel,

You just convinced me to brace mine, regardless of the fact I am on 2S. I will try the CA bearings as well ... and hope I can break the rod loose again
GoAround is online now Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,390 Posts
WOW! now thats some flutter haha

thanks guys

cheers chuck
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:56 AM
Australia, SA, Tailem Bend
Joined Jun 2012
78 Posts
Whats this like for indoors ?? havent seen many videos with it flying indoors
Cheers Mark
Marty66 is offline Find More Posts by Marty66
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:04 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
Mark,

The Sbach flies great indoors, however it needs more room than, say, the Beast or Carbon Cub to fly up-on-the-wing. I've flown it in a single indoor soccer court, but it's much happier up-on-the-wing when we get two or three courts side-by-side. It's a serious high-alpha monster with the SFGs on. You can slow it right down to a crawl without a bit of wing-rock, and fly an entire pack on throttle & rudder if you wish. I don't happen to have any footage of me flying it indoors, but you can get an idea of how maneuverable it is at low speed with the SFGs on in this clip. For reference, our club runway is 40' x 250':

Eflite UMX Sbach 3D w/SFGs- torque-rolls, KE loop, harriers, harrier landings (5 min 12 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:44 PM
Australia, SA, Tailem Bend
Joined Jun 2012
78 Posts
Cheers Joel thanks for your help, I already have one & love flying it but it is starting to look a bit 2nd hand & have wanted to get another one. Might be having my 1st indoor flight next week so was hoping I could give it a go or maybe get something more suited to my skills (very average intermediate)
Am Away from home for a week & havent done much slow flying with it, hopefully give it a run on the weekend & see what happens.
Cheers Mark
P.S. Do u just slide SFG 's on or glue them
Marty66 is offline Find More Posts by Marty66
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:17 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
Mark,

You're welcome! Glad I could help. I use a small piece of tape to secure the SFGs. I use low-stick tape so that it doesn't damage the finish when I remove it. You may find that friction is enough to retain them when slow-flying indoors.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:51 PM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,118 Posts
I took a slightly different approach and put a strip of Scotch Magic tape down the SFG slot. I can stick tape to it and tear off without damage. Whatever method, do something to attach them as mine popped off in a spin not long after I got it!

I have an indoor fly in coming up in a smallish venue. I will be taking the T28 but am hoping the Sbach may be able to go round in high alpha. To rephrase, I hope I am capable of flying it round in high alpha!!
GoAround is online now Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:16 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
I took a slightly different approach and put a strip of Scotch Magic tape down the SFG slot. I can stick tape to it and tear off without damage. Whatever method, do something to attach them as mine popped off in a spin not long after I got it!

I have an indoor fly in coming up in a smallish venue. I will be taking the T28 but am hoping the Sbach may be able to go round in high alpha. To rephrase, I hope I am capable of flying it round in high alpha!!
Just keep it moving. It does quite well indoors but if your in a typical basketball court sized gym I'd think twice about letting her get on the wing. Also be careful you don't pull it into a hover while flying high alpha, with the large elevator and relatively short coupling it doesn't take much to do it.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:51 AM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
Hey gang. I just picked up mine for a very low price from a hobby show. No battery or charger so I got a great discount. I just got my batteries and I binded to my DX6i.

Here's my q.

I'm thinking that I should mix in flaperons. I wanted to hear from others who have tried this? Is it a good / bad idea? Can you tell me settings that have worked for you?
Rex A Lott is offline Find More Posts by Rex A Lott