HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Question
Flaps on a CG eagle 2

Was thinking about doing flaps or maybe flaparon on a carl goldberg eagle 2. Good idea or bad idea?
ithia is offline Find More Posts by ithia
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:26 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
I wouldn't consider it a good idea or a bad idea. just an Idea. My question is why?
What are you looking to gain performance wise?
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
It's an eagle... its a trainer... .. people still do things for fun. I turned mine into a V-Tail for fun. Looks really cool and flies just like the orginal. Go with flaperons.. nothing required building wise.. just mixing..

The V-Eagle. Full screen makes it easier to see.. phone cam so not the best.
Maiden Flight of the Veagle (1 min 50 sec)
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Last edited by Thermalin; Apr 16, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
It's an eagle... its a trainer... .. people still do things for fun.
Agreed 100%. This is however, the beginner training area and the op has only 16 posts.
I thought it a good idea to see what he was thinking.
A beginner probably won't be served as well by modifying his/her trainer as they would be be by simply learning to fly it.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,649 Posts
ithia,

Converting the ailerons into flapperons should work great - keep them full span so you don't lose any aileron control when just above stall. I did that to a NextStar, and with them down just a 1/4" it made the plane fly better. While they didn't appear to allow for a steeper approach, they did make for a slower touch down. Plus I couldn't get the plane to spin no matter what I tried, with the flappers up or down. You can also reflex them jut a bit to see what that will do for the speed side.

Thermalin,

I like that v-tail conversion. Have any close-up pictures? How did it handle stalls and spins? (This may be better off being answered in a new thread so we don't highjack ithia's thread, unless it's ok with him.)

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
H&H,
This is my 2nd plane, I loged about 6.5 hrs on my last plane till I had a radio problem that end with a bad crash. Still learning but I'm not brand new. I hoped to gain shorter landings and take offs. My flying area is 12ish acre field, but the runway is kinda short, and I have Futaba 6j TX. Kinda wanted to use the extra channels. Maybe I should fly it stock for a bit then mod it. I'm installing the two servos in the wing any how.

Thermalin,
I read your build log on the eagle 2, very nice. I used alot for your ideas on mine.

hogflyer,
Highjack away I want to see some close ups
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
What's nice about flaperons is that that they are easy to do. Good luck with your project. The Eagle 2 is a great plane. It's what I taught my kid to fly on. Have fun with it.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
HH - good point.. didnt realize where I was or the post count.

Ithia...
Generally flaps allow for slower flight.. not short landings but will decrease take off roll providing more lift
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:43 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
977 Posts
Flaperons on an airplane with full span ailerons can be a crap shoot. True, it decreases liftoff speed and landing speed. But due to a number of factors, it also increases the probability of a tip stall on constant chord trainer wings (and crash). Learn how to "flare".
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Hmmm, I think I'll skip the flaparons for now, and fly it stock for a few weekends. I'm all set up for them I'll just have to change the TX mix setings at some point down the road. Thanks for the input.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithia View Post
Hmmm, I think I'll skip the flaparons for now, and fly it stock for a few weekends. I'm all set up for them I'll just have to change the TX mix setings at some point down the road. Thanks for the input.

Might I suggest you set up your flaps,and practice with them at a good and safe altitude? Slow it waaaaaay down,and either mix in some trim,or just trim it to fly slowly.....if it tip stalls,which I don't think it will, pull the flaperons and continue as before.
Do some "landings" at 200', before you try them at 2'. get the 'feel' for them.
...and the airplane DOES slow down with flaps.
When you're ready, try them,it's not irreversible you know.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Good point epoxyearl. I didnt think about trying them at altitude. I will try them this way, and if they do not work out I will just turn them off and fly with ailerons. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
The eagle does slow down nicely on landing where you can actuall touch the mains first and let the nose come down..
Old May 21, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
56 Posts
Well 5-20 was the first flight of the eagle mk2 with flaparon mod. It worked great! Thanks urbody
Old May 21, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithia View Post
Well 5-20 was the first flight of the eagle mk2 with flaparon mod. It worked great! Thanks urbody
Good job-they're lots of fun.
Now-start taking off with them,using the same amount of elevator trim you land with.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !