HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,618 Posts
Hi superJ0, you may have one or two bad motors at the rear of your heli, to check this (assuming you are not able to return it to the seller for refund or replacement) take one side of the fuselage off, on the PCB you will see two plugs, each with 4 wires that lead tithe motor units, in plug them and swap them around, tape or acre the fuselage back attempt a test flight, forward and back wards on the remote will now be swapped around, if it is still moving backwards its a motor/shafts fault, if it is now moving forwards its a PCB/remote control fault.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:20 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
According to Syma's web site the S022G truly does exist, but I haven't seen any legit sellers yet.

One place in AU claims to sell them, but I have my doubts. Even on AliExpress these have been pulled as "not available" and it appears it is because of false gyro claims (i.e. they were selling plain old S022 non-gyro helis as S022G).

Tons of places claim they have S022G parts though.

Has this heli ever seen the light of day? Or was it pulled from the market for some reason?

Anybody know the story?
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Last edited by SubtleT; Apr 17, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaler View Post
I wonder what the diff is with the G model.. The pic shows the same 3 channel.. no servos .. The thing needed no gyro anyway cause it cannot aileron bank anyhow.. mayby it is a pitch gyro something
I've watched a ton of S022 videos, and it seems that heading-hold (which is what the gyro in low-end helis is for) is beyond most flyer's skills. They seem to rock 'em and spin 'em and shimmy and wiggle 'em downrange in the most comical way.

It has nothing to do with banking.
Last edited by SubtleT; Apr 17, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:00 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
I've watched a ton of S022 videos, and it seems that heading-hold (which is what the gyro in low-end helis is for) is beyond most flyer's skills. They seem to rock 'em and spin 'em and shimmy and wiggle 'em downrange in the most comical way.

It has nothing to do with banking.
Subtle - I always thought that the cheaper gyros were rate gyros rather than heading hold?

Either way, my little Litehawk Duo and larger Blade Rescue tandems both have very effective gyros that do allow straight-on ff, no shimmy, no wiggle.

The s022 took a lot more attention to stay on trajectory.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Last edited by gordonzo; Apr 17, 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: more
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Well as far as I know they're for heading-hold. I've never heard anyone claim they're yaw rate gyros and they don't seem to behave as such. Maybe an actual expert could clarify it - but that's not me!

I thought the LiteHawk Duo was a newer product, sort of an S032G knock-off in yellow and Canadian colors? Oops, yep. Blade Rescue much the same hmm? Just at 4 times the price?

I'm interested in tandems only because I want a low-cost higher-payload outdoor heli than a regular coax can offer. I'm not into the "dolly copter" thing but I guess tandems are rare w/o scalish bodies on them. Do you guys leave them on the shelf playing recordings of battle theater radio chatter, or mostly move little army men around making explosion noises and yells of pain?

For all I care a skeletal frame look would be adequate... well ok, I won't go that far. It is nice if they look like some kind of heli and not a flying bedstead.

So the S022 seems like a usable platform for low-low-end arial videography, but without the gyro... video viewers would probably get seasick.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
One place in AU claims to sell them [S022G], but I have my doubts.
I just took a look and yes, the Aussies are lying/cheating too. You can tell by the S022 Tx in their pics, it looks nothing like an S022G Tx.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,587 Posts
LOL @ SubtleT

I don't know about recordings of battle theater and playing with little plastic toy soldiers. I just like flying my helis around. The tandems are fun.

The Litehawk Duo is the size of a S026G (e.g. on the tiny side).

If you want a camera platform, folks recommend the mQX quadrotor instead of a coaxial tandem which will be blown away by the first gust of wind.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
USA, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jan 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
According to Syma's web site the S022G truly does exist, but I haven't seen any legit sellers yet.

One place in AU claims to sell them, but I have my doubts. Even on AliExpress these have been pulled as "not available" and it appears it is because of false gyro claims (i.e. they were selling plain old S022 non-gyro helis as S022G).

Tons of places claim they have S022G parts though.

Has this heli ever seen the light of day? Or was it pulled from the market for some reason?

Anybody know the story?
There were several sellers on Aliexpress, but it looks like one now. Look for the "GYRO" on the controller. Some vendors claim S022G, but have the S022 controller. I ordered one from this vendor, will have to wait and see what arrives.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
Spanner1751 is offline Find More Posts by Spanner1751
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:50 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Well as far as I know they're for heading-hold. I've never heard anyone claim they're yaw rate gyros and they don't seem to behave as such. Maybe an actual expert could clarify it - but that's not me! I'm still not sure.

I thought the LiteHawk Duo was a newer product, sort of an S032G knock-off in yellow and Canadian colors? Oops, yep. Nope. Similar to s026 but faster and more precise (at least mine is). Blade Rescue much the same hmm? Just at 4 times the price? The same? No. It's hobby grade 2.4Ghz 4ch mode 2. More expensive - of course. Are you still in denial about the value of a real mode 2 - 4 channel?

I'm interested in tandems only because I want a low-cost higher-payload outdoor heli than a regular coax can offer. I'm not into the "dolly copter" thing but I guess tandems are rare w/o scalish bodies on them. Do you guys leave them on the shelf playing recordings of battle theater radio chatter, or mostly move little army men around making explosion noises and yells of pain? The Duo and Blade Tandem are Rescue Helis - not army. We stage rescues over a choppy bathtub! What's a dolly copter?

For all I care a skeletal frame look would be adequate... well ok, I won't go that far. It is nice if they look like some kind of heli and not a flying bedstead.
How about a quad?

So the S022 seems like a usable platform for low-low-end arial videography, but without the gyro... video viewers would probably get seasick.
It will carry a keychain cam and if you keep the non-gyro model moving, it flys pretty straight. Most tandems are not great outdoors - light breeze only.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
A "dolly copter" is one made up to look like a scale model of an actual bird. Meant for "playing dolls" with or as a shelf queen rather than flying. Sort of a pricy version of a conventional plastic model heli. Think G.I. Joe, Action Man, etc. concept carried over to aircraft.

Ok, so not artillary fire sounds and army men, but barking seal and drowning man sounds and little guys in rubber rafts wearing Mae Wests.

A quad is sort of that flying bedstead look. As I said I don't need a "scale look" machine to be happy but... there are limits. I might as well put the DVR on a long pole and run around with it in the air while making heli noises as fly one of those things. I'd probably just get a kite instead.

I figure a larger tandem coax like an S022 should have just enough oomph to lift one of those micro DVRs without dragging belly and fly outside in very low wind. I really only need just so many videos of the condition of my roof after all, so this doesn't need to be a major investment.

But I got the idea that unlike 10" to 20" length single coax helis this would be a little more practical in very light breeze conditions. Not a true outdoor flyer (even Syma doesn't make that claim) but usable under the right conditions.

I do have single coax helis in that size range, but even then cargo capacity is right at the limit and of course they aren't breezeworthy at all. Even being $100 price range helis as they are, money isn't magic. A coax simply has its limitations. They're even Mode 2, and somehow that bit of wonderfulness doesn't seem to overcome physics either.

The "real S022G" Tx appears to be quite a bit different. 27MHz eye-poker like the S022 but no red sticks and there's an LCD there (which I could live without).

Correction: it looks like the S022 might be 49MHz. Syma's site says 27 for the G though.
Last edited by SubtleT; Apr 18, 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
BTW:

I've about talked myself out of the entire idea at this point. Last thing I need is another heli around here to keep up with, store, etc.

I started keeping a close watch on Tx batteries since I've already lost one to leakage/corrosion. Once a week I drag out every Tx with batteries in them and look for signs and test each cell. Once a month I charge the heli lipos to about half charge.

I'm just glad we aren't required to carry insurance on 'em!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner1751 View Post
There were several sellers on Aliexpress, but it looks like one now. Look for the "GYRO" on the controller. Some vendors claim S022G, but have the S022 controller. I ordered one from this vendor, will have to wait and see what arrives.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
Price:
US $ 28.50 / piece

Quantity:
piece

Shipping Cost:
US $84.52 to Finland Via EMS

Processing Time:
Ships out within 10 days

Total Price:
US $113.02
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Probably takes the Silk Road by camel, then by rowboat through the Med, then follows Atlantic trade currents by raft, etc.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I'm not sure what a "good" price is, and I haven't bought anything from "Buy.com" in many years (before they were acquired a couple of times at least) but:

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=226796757

$49.99 shipped free (U.S. I assume).

Two days ago Amazon had them for the same price, though I see it went up about $3.50 since.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2 Posts
Random Full throttle

Hello

Lots of questions :-)
Bought one on Amazon but now having the random full throttle (RFT) :-) So do I send back or repair? I would like to keep, for the 2 minutes it flew was loads of fun!

Have been reading the thread but I am not sure what to replace, sounds like the PCB and I see different channels PCB's available so how do I know what the transmitter freq is?

Thank for any help
lama400 is offline Find More Posts by lama400