HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:18 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Discussion
Pilar steam gunboat 1865

I built this model a few years ago with running gear but have never put it in the water. It has plenty of room inside for steam gear so i wonder if anyone has built one of these with a steam engine in it? Pete

Forgot the picture
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Dec 27, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:18 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,227 Posts
I got as far as buying the kit. A nice single cylinder engine like the Midwest, Saito, and the Unit would work well. A self made with a horizontal boiler would not be that hard to make.

Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:12 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
What boat is this? The only reference to "Pilar" I found was Hemingway's fishing boat, which has an interesting history...

Quote:
During World War II, Hemingway turned Pilar into an armed gunboat, loading it with bazookas and grenades to hunt down German U-boats in the Florida Straits, from the eastern Keys to the Gulf of Mexico. Hemingway added armored metal plates to the boat's side, but was not altogether thrilled with the diminished performance the extra weight caused the already slow Pilar.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/unde...oon?page=0%2C4
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Dec 27, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:30 PM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
819 Posts
Yes, a photo would have been nice. Dave.
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:18 PM
Romania
Joined Mar 2009
6 Posts
I think this is the steamboat Pilar, made by Anfora

gyula. is offline Find More Posts by gyula.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:07 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Ah, that's probably the boat.

But the thought of Hemingway's boat, armed to the teeth to fight Nazis, was too good to not share. And honestly, that is all that came up in the first 2-3 pages of the search...

--Bill
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Dec 27, 2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:24 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Gyula has the right picture. Sorry but I forgot to add the pic when I started the thread. It's there now. Didn't know Hemmingways boat had the same name. Interesting. Pete

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=35

Here are a few more pics of when i finished the Pilar. I had a whole build thread on here for it but I don't seem to be able to bring it up. Pete
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=pilar
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Dec 28, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:24 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
That is a beautiful boat!

It cries out for steam. But you said that it's a bit heavy? Where could it loose weight-- I'd guess that the emergency lights, the stack, and the bow cannon are brass, and the wheelhouse looks substantial. You could save a lot of weight going with composite/resin on those brass items. Shiny is nice, but a nice weathered patina is more scale.

--Bill
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:17 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Hello Bill. Where is "Backwoods,Alabama"? Traveled a lot in Alabama back in the 60's but never came across that town. Ha!
The Pilar was my second R/C boat build and I had a lot of trouble with the planking. It was bad enough so that I put a second layer of planks on the bottom and the mahogany strips above the waterline. The kit didn't call for the mahogany or double planking but I had the strips and I like the way it turned out.
However the bow gun and the air scoops are solid metal and fairly heavy. Adding to that weight is the stack which is a solid wood dowel and she is very top heavy. The hull is pretty wide and long so the boat will take a lot of ballast to bring her down to the WL and I think that will compensate for the topside weight.
If I went to steam I would take the dowel out of the stack and solder the brass together for a hollow tube. Then the steam could go where it's suppose to go.
I do agree that steam would go great on this boat and a horizontal boiler would fit the design. I wonder if any of you have some sort of plan for building your own steam plant.? I'll probably blow the boat up but it would be fun to try and build my own.
Since I am a total novice at steam a basic drawing of what's required would help a lot too. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Dec 28, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:53 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Ah, those are airscoops-- going the composite/resin/wood route would make it less top-heavy. On a boat, heavy is not necessarily bad since you are going to need ballast anyway. See how it works out.

With a slight change in "scale fildelity", the water tank could easily become your boiler and your "TP tube" boiler could become your fuel tank. The engine would move back to the cabin. It would seem that an enclosed hull could have a problem with heat build-up and I wonder if you couldn't use a small computer muffin fan to ventilate? At 12v they pull something like 50mA and would run forever on a NiCad pack.

Nice build thread, too. I didn't think to search RCG, but the discovery that Hemingway was running around the Florida straights in an armed fishing boat looking for U-boats was too much.

Backwoods? About 3/4 of the state...

--Bill
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:46 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
I remember a lot of open spaces in Alabama but it's a beautiful state to live in. Lots of room for whatever you want to do and land isn't all that expensive especiallyright now. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,369 Posts
Finished ?

Pete, your Pilar has caught my interest ..
Did you finish it ?
Was the quality of this kit OK ?
Tim in Oakland.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.