HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2014, 06:40 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
This is the kind of thing you can try out when you are NOT having a problem so you know what the glider will do.

Get it high and put it in a slight dive. Now try to get out of the dive with the rudder. See what happens and see if you can manage it with just the rudder. Now try to bring it down and land it without using ANY elevator. It is a lot easier to try when there isn't a lot of wind.

The key is to practice the emergency skill when you don't need it.

I once put my Radian together and launched it. Got a nice climb to about 500 feet then powered off. THEN I realized that I did not have elevator. I had forgotten to tighten up the nut. Was actually a nice flight and I landed it without problem. Now I know I can do it.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
I like my UMX Radian, so have ordered a Radian PNP for my next plane. But jeez, I can't read 1200 pages to get up to speed. Any must-reads or CliffsNotes versions?
hard line is offline Find More Posts by hard line
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Joined May 2014
62 Posts
That would also depend on having the CG just right otherwise without elevator it would either stall and fall or just fall till it reaches the ground
BigFoot2012 is offline Find More Posts by BigFoot2012
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
Flys Like A Brick
Washington, MI
Joined Nov 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line View Post
I like my UMX Radian, so have ordered a Radian PNP for my next plane. But jeez, I can't read 1200 pages to get up to speed. Any must-reads or CliffsNotes versions?
Just go fly it. Launch at half throttle!! Wants to loop at full. You'll get used to it. There's lots of Mods to make it better and stronger. But just have some fun to start
Bob_B is offline Find More Posts by Bob_B
Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
For flying out loud!
United Kingdom, Maidstone
Joined Sep 2012
755 Posts
how much does the stock motor weigh? i want to get somthing lighter than the stock but more powerful than what i have preferably similar to what i have just able so spin a 9x4 prop at higher rpm. does anyone have any sugestions.

my current motor is the turnigy 2826 1100kv motor and it does have enough power but more would be preferable if i can get it for the same weight
planemad man is offline Find More Posts by planemad man
Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,025 Posts
The stock motor is 104 grams.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
Flys Like A Brick
Washington, MI
Joined Nov 2010
495 Posts
I just had mine out of the plane and weight was 102 or 104 grams. I can't remember which, but you get the idea. I am drawing 255 watts with an 11x6 prop on a 3 cyl batt with the stock motor. I do about 5 full throttle 30 second climb outs on a 1300mah batt, with out over taxing the battery. Charger shows about 1000mah back in on charging.

A more powerful motor draws more watts will probably need a bigger and heavier ESC and a bigger and heavier batt to feed it all. Do you want the plane to fly fast, or do you want more thrust to pull the plane up.

Are you at the limits of your motor and Esc? Perhaps just a little larger prop would give you a lot more thrust? Have you tried any other props? Going to a 10x6 prop will give a lot more thrust, if your motor and ESC can handle it. Most sailplanes do not run fast motors, they have lower Kv motor ratings and swing large props to get a lot of thrust to pull the big and heavy planes into the air.

I can't recomend a motor, but hope you think about what you want out of the plane. More speed to fly fast, or more thrust to climb faster. Run lighter batteries for the weight, or heavier for more motor run time. Paul Naton in his video runs a 1300 mah then drops to a 850mah for contests. My 1300 gives me enough time that I am happy to land it and take a rest. Then go up with a new batt.

I'm sure someone else will add their remarks and agree or disagree. But you have to use the information to get the setup for your needs. I love my Radian. I fly it just as a glider with minimal motor run time. Good luck on your hunt for the perfect setup. But remember that the perfect setup may change every time you go flying.

Bob
Bob_B is offline Find More Posts by Bob_B
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
393 Posts
Everything is a trade off. Just painting it increases the weight (decreasing performance) but makes the wing smoother (increasing performance). Compared to a similarly set up radian I would theoretically have a better glide ratio at a higher speed. This is without getting into turbulent vs laminar flow, and if the bumps in epo act as turbulators etc...

You can't get something for nothing. Increasing power (unless you are changing to a more efficient motor) means higher amps,bigger motor, bigger battery or some combination thereof. And there for increasing weight - needing more power. Vicious circle time. Finding the best combination for how you want to fly is an art form that requires lots of trial and error (and money if you are switching components)

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason