HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:16 AM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,155 Posts
Discussion
Building board top

I just got a new metal building (the smaller one had to go) and got two kitchen units, MDF and several 2x4s from Home Depot to make a building surface (16'x2'). In the other building I had a hollow door with ceiling tiles on top to hold the pins. Any suggestions for the new surface. I thought of blue foam but CA would probably melt it. Even with the plans covered in plastic, pin holes will probably allow seepage.
I've included some pictures but I'm still in the process of finding places for everything.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:28 AM
kak8
Joined Jun 2005
302 Posts
Looks great, but
... what a waste of foam
kak8 is offline Find More Posts by kak8
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:38 AM
Be an organ donor
Joined May 2004
1,155 Posts
Thanks.
Probably so, but I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did think about using it for a model. This stuff isn't very hardy, just knocking it causes it to crumble. I had some in the old bldg and used it to pin any instructions to. Two or three pieces of paper would pull the pin down and out.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:45 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,109 Posts
I'm tempted to go the gyprock direction.

I'll let you know how it goes
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,695 Posts
I've always liked celotex as a building surface. It holds pins nicely and is cheap to replace. Home Depot generally carries it in 4'x8' sheets.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:46 AM
Pearland, Texas
Joined Aug 2005
153 Posts
Guys.
Office Max and stores like that are selling 4 packs of 12" x 12" x 1/8" cork tiles for about $9.00 per pack. Get some spray on adhesive, coat both the tile and the board and go to town.
Need I say more?
SkipinHouston
skipinhouston is offline Find More Posts by skipinhouston
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:13 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
I'd stick with celotex ceiling tiles, usually I have always been able to find a few that weren't perfect,( nicks, side that faces down from the ceiling stained, not quite perfect, etc) and use the smoother backside usually anyway.
Places like Home Depot and Menards or Lowes or lumber yards will sell them at a decent discount.
I have three workbenches, and have it on all three.
2 foot by 4 foot tiles, 2 on each table for 2 by 8 foot building space.
They get old, toss them, put some newer ones down
I've been using them for 20 years with no problems.

Nice looking shop kwmtrubrit!!!!
Good buy on the countertops, etc.
Hey they do the job you need them for!
Styrofoam will make good insulation

Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:24 PM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit
I just got a new metal building (the smaller one had to go) and got two kitchen units, MDF and several 2x4s from Home Depot to make a building surface (16'x2'). In the other building I had a hollow door with ceiling tiles on top to hold the pins. Any suggestions for the new surface. I thought of blue foam but CA would probably melt it. Even with the plans covered in plastic, pin holes will probably allow seepage.
I've included some pictures but I'm still in the process of finding places for everything.
Just another thought from my other post.
Some white pine building board would work too.
You can push pins in, but have to put them in firmly.
My first building board when I was a kid was a white pine building board.
Used it for years!
Later made another two piece white pine building board, hinged in the middle for dihedral wings, with adjustable
posts on both ends for adjusting dihedral. I still have it!
Every so often I would take an electric hand sander to it and clean it off good, and re-smooth it clearing away small globs of glue, etc.

Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:43 PM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
Buildinf surface

Chunk of cieling tile - comes in 2'x4' pieces, holds pins well and lasts forever. Hold it down on your building surface with plenty of carpet tape. $5.00 should keep it working for quite a while.
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:29 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
In the UK I use 'sundela' or is it 'sundeala' Wonderful stuff,comes in8x4 sheets approx 1/2 -5/8 thick, dense grey finish which pins easily and the holes close after. I've just started on my 2nd hallf sheet 2x8 taped over a hollow door - free as one side was damaged! - Now 10 years down the line!
Daveosoar.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:41 PM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
davesoar - i am thinking of trying a Sundeala board for my next project
What size should i get if I need to build upto a 3m sailplane kit?
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:30 PM
Be an organ donor
Joined May 2004
1,155 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the great suggestions. I will let you know how the units hold up. May the RC Gods be with you!

Keith
Old Oct 27, 2006, 06:32 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,099 Posts
cork tiles

Try cork tiles (see below). Takes blade cuts, pins really well and wears well.
Just a tad pricey.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Oct 27, 2006, 02:46 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
Arukum 17,
I can only buy it in 8x4 panels. Cut in half lengthwise (2' wide). the total length depends on your base. As I said I use a standard hollow wardrobe door which is 2' wide. Now I have FOUR surfaces to work on.
David.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Oct 27, 2006, 03:34 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,614 Posts
I have mostly gone away from pinable table tops. My table tops are made of solid core door blanks (they are still pretty darn pinable if you want). I space 1/4-20 threaded inserts on 6 inch centers and use those points as anchor points for various kinds of clamps. (see photos) As always, a straight building surface helps build straight structures. Clamping takes this one step farther. If you are building your own designs, it is also useful to have your parts laser cut with building tabs which can be lightly glued to a work surface while you get everything straight. You can either use a separate board for this kind of stuff or simply sand the remnants of the tabs off the work surface when you are done. This combination is quick and goes a long way toward ensuring straight surfaces.
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban