HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:32 PM
definitely a madman with a box
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Contest
UVA 2013 EF-1 Pylon Races

This thread is for posting information and discussion of the Utah Valley Aeromodeler's four EF-1 Pylon Races to be held during the 2013 flying season. They will be held at the UVA Flying Field. More info on the club and the location can be found here: http://www.utahvalleyaeromodelers.com

The current dates of the events are:
April 20, 2013, June 22, 2013, August 17, 2013, and October 19, 2013.

Racing starts at 9:00 AM MST. All racing will be wrapped up by 2:00 PM at which time the UVA Flying Field will open back up to general club use.
MadManWithABox is offline Find More Posts by MadManWithABox
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:43 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
I'm subscribing to this because I need people to post that a race is coming up so I don't inadvertently forget to check my calendar and plan on flying all day at the field on those days!
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Milt Sander's article from November 2012 UVA Glitch

This is the article to blame for getting me started in this big mess of EF-1 I re-post it here with permission from Milt.

EF-1 -by Milt Sanders

EF-1 … or Electric Formula 1 Racing (reminiscent of the 1950’s Formula 1 full scale Air Racing)

A new class of racing is growing nationally, and was flown at the recent NATS. This is designed as a low cost, entry level event, to encourage people to experience pylon racing without all the education, experience, and cost or hi-nitro racing engines, needle valve tweeking, and very fast speeds. NMPRA is the national model pylon racing association, and they have published out a specific set of rules to keep EF-1 an affordable, simple, consistent yet exciting event.
http://www.nmpra.org/rules/EF1NewRul...012%5B1%5D.pdf

There are three approved motors, requires an APC 8x8E prop, 4 cell batteries with a max weight of 325 grams, and an approved model design. I have found three ARFs: Horizon Hobby Pogo and Shoestring, and Hanger 9 Sundowner 36. There are other approved designs, but I haven’t yet located sources for kits or ARFs: Little Tony, Tomcat, Polecat, Midget Mustang, DeKnight Special, Miss utrageous, Thunder Chicken, Rivets, Proud Bird, Sweet Pea. Miss Lynn, Miss San Bernadino, and Miss Dara. Approved motors, prop, designs, and battery weight take out a lot of the guesswork and flight testing, keeping the event simple. Wing area is 375 sq in and span is max of 52 inches. Weight is minimum of 3.25 lbs.

I would like to use a two-pylon course with the pilots standing at mid-point off to the side, and the pylons at the regulation 400 feet apart. This makes the most use of our Lehi field and also enhances the safety. We would plan and fly four contests in 2013 in April, June, August, and September with possibly one of them being an AMA sanctioned contest. I already have four pilots who are very interested, and one or two more who are on the fence.
Please send me an email if you have a definite interest.
Milt Sanders panther216@gmail.com
Approximate cost to put an EF-1 into the air is listed below. This cost does not include the receiver or batteries.

Parts and cost for EF-1
Item Name Quantity Source Total
Plane Pogo 1 E-Flite $ 150.00
Motor Turnigy SK 3542 1 HK 32.89
Props (3) APC 8x8E 3 APC 7.08
Servox D-MG16 Metal Gear Digital 3 HK 28.08
60A ESC Turnigy Plush 60 1 HK 34.58
Total $ 252.63

Additionally, I have been working with Hobby Town in Orem, which will give us a 10% discount if have four or more orders for aircraft.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Wing Marking on Race Day

Another re-post of information from Milt with his permission:

Hello All:

Due to several reasons, I have ordered and received wing marking tape (fluorescent pink and fluorescent green) to use for marking our planes for our EF-1 races. The reasons are as follows; (1) many ARFs come with a manufacturers color scheme. It is not easy to tell these planes apart in the air, even if we do make small changes in those color schemes. I still advise that you personalize your planes to help you keep track of them while racing. (2) quite a few of our pilots fly the racing circuit, and are already familiar with this marking scheme as both pilots and judges. This will better standardize our operations. (3) some pilots don't want to have a permanent racing stripe on their planes for aesthetic reasons, so this will assuage their concerns.

Because of this, I have been advised that removal of these marking tape strips is much easier if you put car wax on your wings, top and bottom. A fresh coat the day before the race works even better, than just the first base coat. In case of trouble, use some lighter fluid or a heat gun (not both at the same time) to remove the tape after the race. The longer the tape stays on, the more difficult it is to get off. The pieces of tape are labels, 5 inches wide by 7 inches long. When you register, you will be assigned a color and the wing to put it on. Tape will go on top and bottom of either the left wing (low wing in a pylon turn) or the right wing (high wing in a pylon turn). The color and location is assigned to a lane, so each heat will put you in the same lane. In odd numbered rounds ( 1 and 3), lanes 1 and 3 will take off first followed at approximately a half second interval by lanes 2 and 4. In the even numbered rounds, lanes 2 and 4 will start at the drop of the first flag, followed by the remaining lanes.

The wax I bought is a bottle of Turtle wax, which is a pasty liquid. With an applicator and wax, it came to about $8 at PEP Boys. This should last most of us a lifetime.

Questions?

Thanks,

Milt
EF-1 CD

PS: 4 weeks and 5 days to the first race! Time to finish (or get started for some of us) your planes and go trim them out and practice, especially the landings.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Oct 2011
119 Posts
Field Race Course Layout

Attached is the field course diagram overlaid on a satellite photo of the UVA flying site, the Lehi Modelport. Pylon 1 and 2 are both greater than the 300 foot safety minimum required by AMa and NMPRA. The pilots will take off on the paved runway at a spot 100 feet from the base pylons, at approximately a 45 degree angle across the runway. The course is not moveable in case of wind change. With winds from the North, pilots will take off to the North, go between the #2 and #3 pylons, and run a 9 1/2 lap course. The pits will be under and just in front of the pavilion. Bleachers to the North of the pavilion are still 300 feet away from the course, and can easily seat spectators. Please note that there are water hazards off both ends of the main runway. Any of you golfers?

Milt
Zonker40 is offline Find More Posts by Zonker40
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:25 PM
South Jordan, Utah
Joined Mar 2007
63 Posts
Thanks, this is great.
rus55ros is offline Find More Posts by rus55ros
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,105 Posts
Glad to see this thread. Feel free to add more threads on additional topics also. I like to know what, when and where local flyers are flying.

Please post specific information on what planes you are flying too.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
My setup

I'm flying the Hangar 9 Sundowner 36. My wife got it for me for x-mas but it probably cost her about $150.

Here is my list of accessories to complete my plane. Milt helped me allot with this. I had to do it in three purchases to make it a little easier on the budget. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1E&usp=sharing I'm in it just over $400. I already owned an RX6i transmitter.

These are my first digital servos. They make a neat hum when fired up. (that is normal right?) It was tough to find servos for this bird (and probably other EF-1 airframes) because they need to fit inside of a thin airfoil and yet still have the correct torque requirements.

I just need to put the finishing touches on her and might maiden her this weekend depending on the weather. But mostly depending on my level of bravery at the moment.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:04 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,105 Posts
One other thing is we don't know who all of you are. Please sign occasionally with your name so we get to know you.

If you ever want to do pylon racing with flying wings help me come up with a design you like and we can cut them for you. Flying wings are nice because they don't break as easy when you wreck and are a lot safer because the prop is in the back. I don't see any reason they can't go as fast.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Here is a great video that will give anyone thinking about it - a quick idea of what its all about:

A Look At RC Pylon Racing (10 min 6 sec)
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:03 PM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Oct 2011
119 Posts
Here is a list of the current fliers which are expected to participate in the EF-1 racers. We will probably pick up more, or lose a couple as the season goes along:

Person Plane(s) Color scheme Motor

1 Aaron George Proud Bird white/blue/orange OS
2 Andrew Jesky
3 Butch Forgeron Miss Dara Power 25
Shoestring
4 Dale Combs Miss Dara factory Power 25
Proud Bird Power 25
5 Darin Peirce Shoestring Power 25
6 John Emery Sundowner factory
7 Jon Finch Pogo factory
8 Josh McDougall Sundowner factory
9 Kimberly Panos Miss Dara factory/blue/pink
10 Milt Sanders Sundowner factory/yellow tips Power 25
Miss Dara factory/yellow tips OS
Proud Bird white/yellow/orange Power 25
11 Gary Schmidt Miss Dara (kit built) Arrowind
Proud Bird OS
12 Ron Mendel Miss Dara factory
13 Norm Whittle Proud Bird Power 25
14 Dennis Muhlestein/ Proud Bird white/pink
John Schauble
15 Gino Del Ponte

Anyone else with some info, please let me know.

Milt
Zonker40 is offline Find More Posts by Zonker40
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:08 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Oops.. how'd I get on the list? Well I guess I'll give it a shot if someone has an extra pylon racer they want to loan me
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Jun 2009
1 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm looking forward to next month!

Aaron George
flazzarious is offline Find More Posts by flazzarious
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Ready for maiden!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:59 PM
South Jordan, Utah
Joined Mar 2007
63 Posts
Milt,
I'm not positive, but I think you mistakenly listed Dennis Muhlestein when it should have been Dennis Chlarson. rr
rus55ros is offline Find More Posts by rus55ros