SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:29 AM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
I'm not sure what the stock battery is rated. The Zippy is a 20c and more mAh. I don't know if it will give me more power, it should, But what I wanted was more run time and some useful nose weight.
I won't know if it helped with the signal drop-out until I fly it with the new batteries. I'm a 3D Pilot and also fly precision areobatics. I do know that when I buy new batteries and they are of a higher c rate, It does seem like the plane has more power.

I didn't have any problem with the available power in the S033G, My only problem is with the loss of signal to the Heli. It's a very good flying Heli and I hate to have to put it on the shelf because of a poor radio system.

In a earlier post, you say it seems to fly like the older S033G, But doesn't have as much power as your Old S033G, But a 3s 11.1v system is going to have more power than a 7.4v system. It would be great if Syma still produced the 11.1v version, But they don't, So we are stuck with the 7.4 version. I don't want to be a Beta tester and hook up mine to a 3s lipo.

So, It seems like the New S33 is going to need the same tail rotor mod as the Older S033G, Which isn't a very hard or expensive mod. (unless it causes the tail rotor motor to over-heat and let the magic smoke out)

I've just about decided to get the new S33, But would like to hear what you and any others that have the new S33, Have to say about it before I do.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Last edited by Jim Lee; Nov 01, 2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Corrected text
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:10 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
734 Posts
conversion

Hi, I'm away fishing this week but will be fitting the 2.4 kit over the weekend.Looking at the 2.4 pcb I'm not convinced I'tll do the job. The transistors are smaller so I'm concerned they may overheat which happens at the moment if I'm over using the larger tail rotor. I assume their size indicates their power capability?Also I'm concerned about the absence of a visible aerial??Anyway I've paid me cash so it's got to be worth ago. Will let you know as soon as!!P.s I've run 2200mah lipos on this heli since new(6months) with no problems but they only give a continual run time of around 8mins.I use 3 different makes and they all give the same results.
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:36 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtriac23 View Post
I have a Syma S033G and like it alot cause it flies very smooth has good control and is built strong compaired to some other brands. I had to do some mods to get better range and faster foward speed but still have issues with it sometimes loosing signal even at close range. Syma (symatoys.com) has a new version of the S033G that is 2.4Ghz. the "S33G". I am hoping that the 2.4g will resolve the signal loss issues. Xheli now carries this bird but it is called the "S33". I just ordered one and will keep you posted. I expect I will have to do some of the same mods I did on the S033G for better foward speed.
My bad...it is "S33" not "S33G"
First flight of my new Syma SO33 after doing some tail rotor and weight distribution mods. It flew awesome. It was fairly windy out but because of the mods I was able to fly around despite the wind. I also tried flying my Double Horse 9100 but it was way too windy. I did not have any signal loss problems as of yet but my SO33G did not have problems until after 4-5 flights so it is still too early to tell if the problem is resolved by the 2.4Ghz radio. I will try posting a short clip of its flight.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
734 Posts
Sounds good so far! I'll be interested to see how it compares to the s033g. Does it have an aerial? Also does the pcb look much different, i.e sizes of the components etc. I can't find a supplier over here yet so no idea what it will retail at in the UK. Look forward to the video
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:21 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Syma S33 3ch Large Scale Helicopter (1 min 2 sec)

I tried but could not upload a video, this is a good video but the bird has NO chance in any wind unless you modify the tail rotor, i also shift weight to the front.
The bird is the same as the SO33G with the exception of the 2.4Ghz upgrade (different circuit board) with 1" antenna
Last edited by dwtriac23; Nov 01, 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add info
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:54 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Syma s33

Some photos of my new Syma S33
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:17 AM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
some other intersts..
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:05 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Well, I finally got off of the fence and ordered a Syma S33. I got my DH9118 Wednesday and after reading drambuidhes experience in swapping the DH9118 2.4Ghz electronics with the Syma S033G, I decided to go ahead and do all the mods on the DH9118. I've got them all done, But haven't flown it yet.

I did manage to get some more flights on the S033G with the new battery (It still wants to fly backwards so I'll add some more nose weight) and I was able to complete the flights without any complete signal losses. I did see it glitch several times during the flights, But no complete signal loss. About the only thing left for me to try, Is to lengthen the Rx Antenna. I think I read that I need to double the length, So I'll try that and see if that makes any difference.

J
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:19 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
This was the first Heli that I had. It was a Bear to fly. Taken in the early 70's. If I remember correctly it's a Hughs 500. I don't remember who manufactured it.

J
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:44 AM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
This was the first Heli that I had. It was a Bear to fly. Taken in the early 70's. If I remember correctly it's a Hughs 500. I don't remember who manufactured it.

J
Now that's a Classic!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Well, I finally got off of the fence and ordered a Syma S33. I got my DH9118 Wednesday and after reading drambuidhes experience in swapping the DH9118 2.4Ghz electronics with the Syma S033G, I decided to go ahead and do all the mods on the DH9118. I've got them all done, But haven't flown it yet.

I did manage to get some more flights on the S033G with the new battery (It still wants to fly backwards so I'll add some more nose weight) and I was able to complete the flights without any complete signal losses. I did see it glitch several times during the flights, But no complete signal loss. About the only thing left for me to try, Is to lengthen the Rx Antenna. I think I read that I need to double the length, So I'll try that and see if that makes any difference.

J
Hi Jim, can you please tell me what colour wires come from the 9118 pcb to the motors and their position on the board.Or better still, maybe post a pic.It would be very helpful reg my experiments.Good luck with the s033g
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2012
42 Posts
did syma s33 2.4ghz have lights on its tail?
shivambansal is offline Find More Posts by shivambansal
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:39 AM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
no lights on the tail boom, just flashing lights on each side of the main body and a white steady light on the front
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Hi, drambuidhe

Sorry to hear about your problems with the DH9118 pcb. Hope you can get it straightened out. Here's some photo's of the DH9118 pcb in mine. The small plug with the red and black wires, that is to the rear of the board on the left side with the motor plugs, and the small plug, which is on the left front of the board next to the red and black wires (led lights) with the blue and white wires run through the tail boom to the tail rotor motor. You can see in the second photo that Large plug with the Red and Black wires go to the front motor and the Large Plug with the Blue and White wires go to the rear motor. Hope this will help you with your project.

J
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
734 Posts
Thankyou very much for the photos and so quick, you're a legend! It appears that what I've done is connect the wrong set of wires to the wrong motor thus reversing the polarity on each!! I didn't check because I just thought they'd go backwards if I got it wrong.It appears that the small black diode thing on the top of the motor is blown if the polarity is wrong.Not sure why they are there, with whole disc which holds them removed leaving the motor bare the motors run ok? I daren't risk running without them since I assume they stop interference ?Somehow I've managed to knacker the original board so I'm not doing too well.The good thing though is I have ordered a new 2.4 pcb on ebay at only $12, just got to wait again Will have to dust down my Arttech md500 and fix it up.