SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:43 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................. ..........
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:32 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,110 Posts

You guys make my day!!

This prototype wing is using a different core than production planes, to test out the theory that the sandwich material *only* needs Z-axis strength by using a very light foam we've been toying with with a very high Z-axis stiffness, but relatively low strength on the X and Y axes. My friend has tried it on a FG wing and it was very promising, we shall see......

Any benefits of going so light? Maybe, maybe not. But, if it works it does open up a LOT of possibilities in the structure of our wings and tails.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined May 2012
81 Posts
I was like "wow, that's a pretty light wing!"... and then I saw the fuselage was on there! WOW!
barryplem is offline Find More Posts by barryplem
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,218 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that 126 is heavier than your other vlad wings, but I didn't see the fuse in there until I looked closer. That's insane, man. I can't wait for flight reports!

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,178 Posts
I love super light tails!! Looking great! How is the stiffness of the wing compared to your other wings? Is it similar? If so, then you may be on to something! Great job!!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
610 Posts
I know your secret! You're using that new helium filled foam!!! Seriously, thats rediculis weight!!!!

Brandon
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,110 Posts
Hahaha, I just hope I dont mess up the build and shoot the weight up!
I did a quick test just by hand, the new one feels very similar or maybe even a touch stiffer than the old foam wings. I will setup a more 'scientific' test later this week and measure the deflection of both wings with weight at the tips.
Skin the foam bond is better with the new foam.
I think the real beauty is, old carboline wings are ~105, and the one with the new foam is ~91g. I have 14grams to play with which I can use to add a much larger spar, larger root doubler, or a host of other things.

Using them in tails will yield a 1-2gram weight reduction. We've tried it on some glass tails, and we found it to be super resistant to hanger rash which always seems to plague glass tails.

I'll pass the plane around to the pilots here to throw and try to break, if it holds up to their launches and proves superior on the workbench I will exchange it into the production planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Craig B
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Thomas, great advances. I'm looking forward to delivery!
browncbr1 is offline Find More Posts by browncbr1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supercool V mount
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:44 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Hahaha, I just hope I dont mess up the build and shoot the weight up!
I did a quick test just by hand, the new one feels very similar or maybe even a touch stiffer than the old foam wings. I will setup a more 'scientific' test later this week and measure the deflection of both wings with weight at the tips.
Skin the foam bond is better with the new foam.
I think the real beauty is, old carboline wings are ~105, and the one with the new foam is ~91g. I have 14grams to play with which I can use to add a much larger spar, larger root doubler, or a host of other things.

Using them in tails will yield a 1-2gram weight reduction. We've tried it on some glass tails, and we found it to be super resistant to hanger rash which always seems to plague glass tails.

I'll pass the plane around to the pilots here to throw and try to break, if it holds up to their launches and proves superior on the workbench I will exchange it into the production planes.
Pre installed channels for Pushrods!!!! (that gets my vote)
gtrbaby is online now Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:38 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
666 Posts
Awesome work Thomas - Very exciting!

I definitely vote for pre-installed pushrod holes or sleeves... That would take SO much pressure off in the build!!!!
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:32 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,110 Posts
Keep the ideas coming! It can only help the product improve.
Are you guys talking about the holes for the top-drive?

I did a quick and dirty test this morning, doing a relative stiffness comparison between the old carboline wing with old foam, and the new carboline wing with new foam. Layups are similar, new wing has an improved layup, but mostly near the tips which shouldn't affect the results by a noticeable degree.

I held 1 end of the wing, and hung ~300g on the other wingtip, so the bending is throughout the whole wing. The newer wing at 91grams bent ~1mm more than the old wing at 105grams.
With this 14 grams, we can add a second full-length 1.5mm carbon rod spar and still not reach 100grams total, leaving room for more reinforcements to be added elsewhere.

This is giving me even more confidence in this foam more material. Not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but on glass surfaces the new foam gives more resistance to hanger rash, and the skin to foam bond is improved as well.

Now, we just need some real-world testing by ourselves!!!

--------------

From calculations:
Old core => New core with extra carbon spars
Carboline: 105g => 98g
Standard: 120g => 121g
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:41 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,110 Posts
i spy with my little eyes.....something!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
PWR
Denmark
Joined Oct 2006
97 Posts
It could be a wing tip?

Palle
PWR is offline Find More Posts by PWR
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:31 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,422 Posts
Hey Thomas everything sounds like you have yourself a winner. Can't wait to get one in my grubby little hands

Any chance you can post some pics of your equipment? New CNC machine, molds etc.? Or is it all top secret.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
782 Posts
yep - sleeves etc for the top drive would be awesome
gtrbaby is online now Find More Posts by gtrbaby