SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,369 Posts
Good tips. Here's mine:

If you wanna take her high, fly up wind first before you start and gain altitude. That way, if the wind in the higher altitude takes her, it's taking her back towards you.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstadam2k View Post
thanks for the info will order some more blades at the end of the week.
I assumed you bought the RTF version. They come with spare blades.
Check to see how much they slide back and forth on the pins first. They should fit fairly close to the head with very little side to side movement.
If they don't then that could be the problem. I can't believe the difference in the two sets of blades I got.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Last edited by flyzwell; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
379 Posts
No it was a full rtf and it did come with blades gotta find my small screwdriver set to see whats up. Also are there any bigger 4 channel fp you guys would suggest i am looking at the classima 300 by exceed rc but i kinda want something i can bind to the flysky 9x.
firstadam2k is offline Find More Posts by firstadam2k
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
Oops. I meant RTF. At least you won't have to order new blades.

If you want to fly outdoors a CP is the only way to go. I really like my MCPX.

I've had some bigger FP helies, but they were disappointing.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Yellow V911 - Lost Wire Coil

Yellow V911 - Lost Wire Coil

Crashed one of my Yellow V911's and then the red LED would not light up at all. The round wire coil (near +Red battery wire) went missing. Looks like it could be a DC-DC converter or simply a filter choke. If it were a DC-DC converter, then there would be a largish filter capacitor, but there is none.

Must be a filter choke because after shorting it with a wire, this Yellow V911 flies fine again.

Must have been a heavy bugger with a ferrite core for it to break off like that. Gotta find the coil and weigh it. Good part is this Yellow V911 is now lighter with less resistance in the power circuitry.

---

Yellow V911 and Bad Battery
When I try something daring in the circuitry, I test by using one of my dead V911 batteries. Interesting that with a very badly depleted battery, this Yellow V911 red LED blinked about three times and went out and stayed out until I took the battery out and plugged it back in, blinked a few more times and went out again.

---
Whoops again
Yes, it flew fine the first time. Now new battery and back to red LED blinking about ten times and red LED goes out. Transistor next to missing coil gets kindof hot. So maybe it is a DC-DC convertor. The transistor shorts the coil to ground, causing current flow through the coil, then turns off making the coil generate a higher voltage, captured by a diode and capacitor.

So, next try removing the transistor, since it wasn't needed for the first flight anyway.

Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 27, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,787 Posts
My this thread moves fast.

So how about it, folks? Is adding a paddled flybar the best thing I can do in order to improve outdoor performance? Or is everyone happy flying theirs stock?
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2004
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Stuck Aileron Servo
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10965

When inserting battery, I grip the nose end of the battery holder with my left hand. New batteries are hard to insert in any V911. With a new V911 it is hard to insert any battery. With a new battery and a new V911 it may seem impossible at first. Both self adjust after a while and then the battery starts falling out when you crash. I use a bread tie twisted around the plastic cross piece on the skid and wrapped around the battery to keep from losing batteries. Remove the battery toward the tail and then toward the nose. Insert next battery the opposite way. The bread tie remains as a loop that the battery slides into first, then in the battery holder.

Ok, I will try to solder the servo points later on (if I dare), really hope thats the problem.
Regarding the battery it feels like i will wreck the helicopter everytime I insert an remove a bettery, I was sure there was something wrong with the lipos Im usgin. (TC551140 150ma).
Anyhow, I hope the fix, and the battery feels better soon and that I do not breake my heli when trying to insert the battery
Thanks for the input, I will report back here

I did manage to fly two batteries outside just before sunset, and it was nice but the helicopter starts of going forward pretty good but after a few meters almost halts... is this "normal"?
zippiz is offline Find More Posts by zippiz
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippiz View Post
Ok, I will try to solder the servo points later on (if I dare), really hope thats the problem.
Regarding the battery it feels like i will wreck the helicopter everytime I insert an remove a bettery, I was sure there was something wrong with the lipos Im usgin. (TC551140 150ma).
Anyhow, I hope the fix, and the battery feels better soon and that I do not breake my heli when trying to insert the battery
Thanks for the input, I will report back here

I did manage to fly two batteries outside just before sunset, and it was nice but the helicopter starts of going forward pretty good but after a few meters almost
halts... is this "normal"?
mine kinda does the same so i think so.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
379 Posts
Anyone have a suggestion on a better charger thats on the cheap? Or just stick with this one i just got some 150ma batteries so i do not want to bugger them up.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:56 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
My this thread moves fast.

So how about it, folks? Is adding a paddled flybar the best thing I can do in order to improve outdoor performance? Or is everyone happy flying theirs stock?
I don't know about outdoors, but it definitely improves control response indoors.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstadam2k View Post
Anyone have a suggestion on a better charger thats on the cheap? Or just stick with this one i just got some 150ma batteries so i do not want to bugger them up.
Take the screws out of the dual-charger and look at the circuitry. It is an excellent battery charger and treats your batteries better than chargers costing tens times the price. Really. Truly. I only use a computerized charger when I want to see how nuch juice I put back in.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:57 PM
Doink-not again :)...aka Greg
United States, MI, Sterling Heights
Joined Jul 2012
1,293 Posts
Ribble,

Do you fly with a modified heli or stock.
I tried the flybar mod but just did not like the characteristics of the heli.
I can fly now in some pretty heavy winds with stock flybar with no problems. Probably because the fear factor is gone now.
Makdaddy is offline Find More Posts by Makdaddy
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Take the screws out of the dual-charger and look at the circuitry. It is an excellent battery charger and treats your batteries better than chargers costing tens times the price. Really. Truly. I only use a computerized charger when I want to see how nuch juice I put back in.
Ok just asking i guess i will pick up a couple more then.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makdaddy View Post
Do you fly with a modified heli or stock.
I tried the flybar mod but just did not like the characteristics of the heli.
I can fly now in some pretty heavy winds with stock flybar with no problems. Probably because the fear factor is gone now.
My wind-surfers are all stock. Fly only low rates with transmitter Elevator trim full forward. Four using new version carbon shaft and swashplate.

Once in a while I fly the one with MSR paddles on a stock flybar though it is harder to fly and doesn't do anything for the way I fly.

One has a 9958 main motor which is promising as the bigger pinion gear wants to make the blades spin faster.. Still testing it and slowly trimming the trailing edges of the blades which increases rotor RPM.

Seven Yellow V911's that I am slowly getting used to in the wind. Got these for night flying.

Once you know it is possible to fly a V911 in wind, then there seems no end to learning how to do it. My favorite is soaring like a glider and banking off the oncoming wind. So relaxing. All in my back yard and there are tall bushes that create neat vertices. I can fly in an open field in the wind, but gets boring fast. Macadam tennis courts are fun as the smooth surface causes the wind to stay above the surface.

Do not misunderstand, I consider myself a poor pilot and many/most can out-fly me on a calm day or indoors.
Last edited by Ribble; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,787 Posts
Sounds great, guys. So Ribble at least puts the elevator full trim forward. Never have much need to go backwards, huh? Just let the wind do that.

My stock V911s don't seem to dip forward enough in the wind. They move through it but they're kinda pokey when trying to go forward through it. I only say pokey because my 9958 and MSRs seem to be faster. They dip their noses down more. So that tells me I need to get more forward cyclic authority in my V911. Probably I'll mess with the forward elevator trim to help increase that.

I just need to build that darned paddled flybar so I can try it out. I've got the Xtreme paddles and a spare flybar but just haven't sat down to try to figure out how to build it (and balance it!!!) yet.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member