HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:18 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Growl! Very slow moving thunderstorm keeping me from getting any test flights done. Got the attempted heat treating on the bend your own gear done. Heated up each side till it just started to glow and quickly quenched in cold water. It does seem to be a touch stiffer. Will test those this weekend after I'm sure I have the power issue sorted out. Still need to get the graphics theK2 sent me installed on my new wings. New as in I have been flying the last 85 flights on the slightly beat up wings from my second Edge. About time I got the servos in the new ones. If I ever get the motor box job done in my second fuselage that will give me a complete spare aircraft.
Some pretty vicious storms ripped through here late yesterday evening. But after it passed I couldn't resist flying my little Slick out in front of my house. Had I not just recorded a video the other day I would've recorded this one because it was a pretty sweet backdrop! There were MAJOR lightning flashes going off in the distance throughout the whole flight. Pretty sweet!!

I also did a tail dunk in that large mud puddle... pretty cool but it got my heart racing!! The last thing I wanted to do was wade out into the thing to retrieve my plane!!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Mud puddle? I thought that was a mosquito and frog factory. Sure you from SC originally? Calling that pondish thing a mud puddle made me think you might be from Texas. Storm has passed so I'm off to fly. Have a great weekend all. Fly hard and land soft.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:51 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Mud puddle? I thought that was a mosquito and frog factory. Sure you from SC originally? Calling that pondish thing a mud puddle made me think you might be from Texas. Storm has passed so I'm off to fly. Have a great weekend all. Fly hard and land soft.
LOL! I don't know what to call it really. And yes - I'm from SC originally!

There's an equal sized one on the other side of this field so maybe they are drain-off ponds? All I can say is that after it rained... it smelled like wet sock above that water hold.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,705 Posts
Up here, we call those "Soon to be destroyed by 4-wheeler" holes.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
What an easy 3d plane. Had my maiden today and some . Had 5 flights total on 2200 and 2650 batteries. CG was good for 3d flying.

I was expecting something closer my most recent AW Extra 260 Freestyle but this was in between an extra and PA Addiction X for example. So far the only thing I need to adjust is to lower my low rates for aileron. I may have set it slightly higher than the recommendation and it may have caused a slight wing rock while practicing my harrier.

Good first 3DHS experience . Can't waite to get back out this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
I am looking to put my first 3DHS plane together in time for upcoming 7/4 holiday and looks like it's 48" Edge. Can't wait to experience this first hands to see how it compares to my others .
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
What an easy 3d plane. Had my maiden today and some . Had 5 flights total on 2200 and 2650 batteries. CG was good for 3d flying.

I was expecting something closer my most recent AW Extra 260 Freestyle but this was in between an extra and PA Addiction X for example. So far the only thing I need to adjust is to lower my low rates for aileron. I may have set it slightly higher than the recommendation and it may have caused a slight wing rock while practicing my harrier.

Good first 3DHS experience . Can't waite to get back out this evening.
Glad you enjoyed it.

As far as your aileron rates go - I don't think your harrier wing rock has anything to do with your rates. But you may want to consider increasing your aileron EXPO (maybe that's what you were referring to anyway...). Also, I've found that a more forward CG all but eliminates wing rock for me in harrier.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:47 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Got back from my test flights a bit ago. Flew a total of 6 batteries including the 2 that I was using when the motor cut out the other day. I flogged it harder than I ever had and I declare it fixed. 94 degrees and high humidity I flew 3 batteries back to back in a effort to heat things up to see if that was perhaps the problem. I gave out and had to take a break in the air conditioned car before the Edge gave out. Whether the trouble was the springs in the contacts on the deans or my crappy soldering skills I will never really know. 2.5 inch wheels and plastic cord stretched from axle to axle on the stock wire gear worked out fine. All in all a great time.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:10 PM
When in doubt, mumble
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
LOL! I don't know what to call it really. And yes - I'm from SC originally!

There's an equal sized one on the other side of this field so maybe they are drain-off ponds? All I can say is that after it rained... it smelled like wet sock above that water hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Up here, we call those "Soon to be destroyed by 4-wheeler" holes.
Don't worry, that's a true statement down here too!

Haven't seen the video but I'm guessing it's a sediment pond. Thank the EPA for that shiz. God forbid some dirt go down a creek lol
TyCarp is offline Find More Posts by TyCarp
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:56 AM
Serial Lurker
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
167 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of the replacement motorbox?

I nosed in the other day and I'm attempting to rebuild, but I'm not sure if there is too much damage to the front end. Without knowing from where the replacement box starts, I'm not too keen to order it.

Postage is $36 on a $20 item
Olie is online now Find More Posts by Olie
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olie View Post
Does anyone have a photo of the replacement motorbox?

I nosed in the other day and I'm attempting to rebuild, but I'm not sure if there is too much damage to the front end. Without knowing from where the replacement box starts, I'm not too keen to order it.

Postage is $36 on a $20 item
yeah, postage is outrageous... also for a 3" spinner, 35$ postage is around 30$but are you sure you can not just put pieces of puzzle back in order?and ca and reinforce with fiberglass or ply stirrers?
i pieced back a motor box +first former broken out of the fuselage..
i got a motor box once, and everything what came was up to and included landing gear formers...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
As far as your aileron rates go - I don't think your harrier wing rock has anything to do with your rates. But you may want to consider increasing your aileron EXPO (maybe that's what you were referring to anyway...). Also, I've found that a more forward CG all but eliminates wing rock for me in harrier.
thx. I'll give both your suggestions a shot. Aileron is 30%, I may just need do dial down the throw slightly since it may be higher than spec...but need to double check to see.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:51 AM
Serial Lurker
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
167 Posts
Wow. That's a fair way back into the frame. It's unfortunate, but the front end just splintered into lots of small pieces rather than into large easily repairable pieces.

I have to order a new cowl anyway so I may as well get the motor box.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:24 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
The kit has way more pieces than most people will need. I have one to put in my Second Edge just have not attempted it yet. I can post a picture latter on today of what is included.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:27 AM
Serial Lurker
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
167 Posts
That would be great Marcoeldragon.

Its only another $34 to send a whole plane over including the Spare parts I need. So I might wait until I get my tax return and get a 47" Extra SHP in the order as well.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
turnerm

Forward CG does seems to dampen the wing rock. I was out earlier and there was more stable than previously. THX!

Quote: