HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 03:36 PM
Farnham Common, UK
Joined Oct 2009
239 Posts
Help!
Finishing a veneered surface

I am currently building the Billings Slo-mo-shun which has a veneered deck and sides aft of the sponsons. As recommended by several builders, I completed the underside of the boat before planking most of the deck. I will epoxy resin the inside and outside of the underside of the boat to make it water tight. I will also epoxy the the inside of the planked sides aft of the sponsons. The underside of the deck planking will not be epoxied because it won't be accessible. The veneer is then glued down onto the planked deck and sides after sanding smooth. I plan to use sanding sealer and fine sandpaper to get a smooth finish on the veneer. What then?? Should I epoxy the surface of the veneer or just varnish it or do both? I would like a nice finish but the boat must be waterproof. Advice on this would be much appreciated.
Jeremy
JeremyBB is offline Find More Posts by JeremyBB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2010, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,743 Posts
Jeremy- I would not use the sanding sealer on the mahogany before the epoxy. I would sand the mahogany with 180, 240 , then 400 grit paper and then coat the mahogany with the finishing epoxy. This will let the epoxy get a good bit into the mahogany. Sand the epoxy when dry and then apply one or two additional coats of epoxy sanding in-between for a good finish. You can then top coat the epoxy with a good clear polyurethane like Minwax Helmsmen for UV protection as well as buffing out for a mirror finish.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg