HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FokkerD View Post
Sure Jack! Go have fun this weekend while I sit in N.Y. with a broken transmitter see ya soon
Sorry to hear of your broken transmitter.

Here's a funny story. I was out flying my Mustang at Cherry Creek yesterday. Another guy was flying a Dynam T-6, which is a great looking and flying aircraft.

As I was flying I heard this guy say "oh &*%$" and moments later caught his T-6 slamming into the runway out of the corner of my eye. So after I landed I went up to him and sympathized about the loss of the plane. Then I said, "you know you really should consider investing a little bit more when you buy these planes to get a good pilot. They have the regular pilots and the good pilots, and the good pilots are about $10 more." He looked at me with an incredulous look for a moment, then smiled as he realized it was a joke.

Cheers,

Jack
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:00 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the update. Sorry for all the lousy weather this year.

What is the "Tiger" that you refer to? Is this a scale or sport plane?

I will be flying my Mustang, Bucker Jungmann and Sea Vixen at the "Warbirds over the Rockies" event tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Jackson
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19451

It's tiger moth Jackson, you know I'm sure, biplane used as a trainer for pilots during the second world war, I always fancied one but the only one I ever built was a little home made epp 600mm wingspan or so.
Just been up to the model shop with Mark and I found a turnbuckle to use to tighten the rigging wires, he has decided not to sell his controls and bought a mx2 from st models lol even though he said he never wanted a 3d plane!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Nigel,

I remember you mentioned the Tiger Moth. When you wrote "Tiger" I was thinking it was some kind of fighter plane.

I had a blast today at Warbirds over the Rockies. I flew my Mustang and my Bucker Jungmann with the big boys. They fly six airplanes at a time during open flying. Most of the planes were 70 inches or more of wingspan and weighed somewhere between 10 and 50 pounds. On my first flight of the Bucker there were three turbine-powered jets in the air moving along at speeds between 100 and 150 mph. They used my bright yellow biplane like a traffic cone in the sky; turning and banking around it. Kinda cool, but a little nerve-wracking. There were about 150 pilots and probably 500 spectators there.

All the best,

Jackson
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:28 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,196 Posts
Eatin' my heart out ovah heah, Jax!
Our big-deal IMAA/AMA sanctioned dual Big Birds/Warbirds event today got washed out, big time. We got in a couple hours of flying before it started raining, then after a spell it started to slack off a bit so just as hopes were rising, suddenly the bottom fell out. We had a Wx radar setup on a pilot's GPS unit at the reg.table & we could see it was gonna be an 'all dayer' so called it. The ugly forecast had numbers down - pilots and crowd as well - from the beginning so, with the loss looks like the club's gonna be in for a tuff time financing some of our improvement projects.
I'd seen (previously) ads for your Rockies show -- very glad to hear it was a big success. Were it not for being here, would've sure luv'd to have been there.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:18 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,074 Posts
Starhopper, that sounds like our sort of weather lol probably the show would have gone on regardless over here, a real shame though, Jackson your show sounds like it was a great success.
I think next year I will make more of an effort to find out about local clubs and shows, it's getting a bit boring just me and mark occationally, hopfully then I will have the new frsky tx so would not be so worried about crashing cause I wont be on dsm2.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Eatin' my heart out ovah heah, Jax!
Our big-deal IMAA/AMA sanctioned dual Big Birds/Warbirds event today got washed out, big time. We got in a couple hours of flying before it started raining, then after a spell it started to slack off a bit so just as hopes were rising, suddenly the bottom fell out. We had a Wx radar setup on a pilot's GPS unit at the reg.table & we could see it was gonna be an 'all dayer' so called it. The ugly forecast had numbers down - pilots and crowd as well - from the beginning so, with the loss looks like the club's gonna be in for a tuff time financing some of our improvement projects.
I'd seen (previously) ads for your Rockies show -- very glad to hear it was a big success. Were it not for being here, would've sure luv'd to have been there.
Sorry the weather gods were not cooperating with your event Starhopper. We had some big rains here about a week ago. Everyone was glad for the moisture.

I am just headed out for some more warbird flying at my local flying field where there is no line to fly, nor are there 150 mph turbine-powered aircraft cruising by. I will bring my FunJet so I can be the fastest guy! LOL.

Had to chuckle at Nigel's comment. I do believe his area gets the "worst flying weather" award this year. Hope that next year is better!

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:49 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,907 Posts
Room for a Hitec GPS and Sensor Hub?

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a suitable glider to set up my Hitec GPS (about 22mm x 28mm x 15mm) and sensor hub (35mm x 25mm x 10mm).

They are both relatively small units but I was wondering if the MM would have enough room for a bit of gear around the wing root area in front of the servos?

I've always liked the look of these and believe they thermal pretty well!!

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

Dave
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:11 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,196 Posts
Dave I'll be first in on this one.
Yes, good on thermals, & 'abundant' space, but afa hauling equipment, with the present power train I'd strongly advise to keep it light to very light, if at all. (It ain't exactly a Rolls-Merlin! )
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:23 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,074 Posts
Yeah she'd take some more weight for sure as long as you put a bigger motor and esc, oh and dont forget to strengthen the wing mount too, apart from that though it would probably be a fairly good platform.

btw I had a short flight window with little wind this morning from about 7:15 to 8 and maidened my tiger moth, all went well apart from a few little snags ie clipping a tree, battery cover falling when inverted in a roll, undercariage breaking loose on the last landing where I ended up rolling into a plank of wood lol(hidden under leaves.
My runway was the problem mostly being very small and surrounded by trees, lamp posts, houses, but the moth managed the short take off and landings well.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:32 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,907 Posts
Thanks very much for that info guys.

Wight shouldn't be an issue as both items weigh only a few grams each.

They just send the position/speed back to the radio. Hoping I can sneek a peak every now and then to see what its doing!!

Dave
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:53 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Thanks very much for that info guys.

Wight shouldn't be an issue as both items weigh only a few grams each.

They just send the position/speed back to the radio. Hoping I can sneek a peak every now and then to see what its doing!!

Dave
OH in that case it'll be fine stock, nice and stable plane so you can take your eyes off to look at controls-when it's calm anyway!
I am waiting for the frsky controls to come out as they have all the telemetry built in too and open source software and then I will get into the telemtetry side of things-especially interested in the vario/altitide side of things for starters.
I think that fpv would be good as long as there were plenty of failsafe in place ie mainly return to base in case of lost signal or lost orientation!
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:48 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Minimoa with Camera

Goody,

Here is a video from the perspective of the Minimoa with a Hobby King HD Wing Camera attached. Gives you an idea of how well she flies with a little weight attached as long as you have a good CG.

Cheers,

Jackson

In the Air at DLG Ranch - Sunday, June 4, 2012 (4 min 34 sec)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:36 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,196 Posts
Another fine show, Jax - you ol' smoothie you. I especially liked the view perspective too.

There's a video I've seen - most of you guys prolly have also - where the owner's got the cam mounted out on a wing with the cockpit in view. He's got the pilot's head linked to the rudder, so as it's turning the pilot 'looks' in that direction. (I watched for I'll bet the first 2-3 minutes before I realized it wasn't real! *LOL* & true.) The only thing I could imagine that'd make your video here (Jax) better is if you could turn the camera similarly. Oughta be pretty easy to rig up....hint hint.

And for anyone who wonders if she can float, just send 'em on this ride, eh?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Goody,

Here is a video from the perspective of the Minimoa with a Hobby King HD Wing Camera attached. Gives you an idea of how well she flies with a little weight attached as long as you have a good CG.

Cheers,

Jackson

https://vimeo.com/43745239
Very nice quality video.

What sort of camera were you using?

And I've had a spanner thrown in the works; a mate yesterday offered me his EP FlyFly DG1000 2.6M in pristine condition for about the same $$$$ as a new Minimoa.

Lots of spare space in the fuse too.

I know it won't be as easy a flier as the MM but man its a very impressive looking glider!!!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:04 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Very nice quality video.

What sort of camera were you using?

And I've had a spanner thrown in the works; a mate yesterday offered me his EP FlyFly DG1000 2.6M in pristine condition for about the same $$$$ as a new Minimoa.

Lots of spare space in the fuse too.

I know it won't be as easy a flier as the MM but man its a very impressive looking glider!!!
A 2.6m would surely perform better then the moa and probably already ironed out any problems for you, I'd go for it as long as you have some experience flying you'll be fine.