Newbee
Mornington Vic
Joined Mar 2010
163 Posts
Here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Can we see a picture ?
Here is that home made diesel I got off E-bay in a bulk lot. Pictured with it is what appears to be an ME Heron, but you will see it's got a home made crankcase. I like these "one offs" and have a few of them.
Barry
kakariki is offline Find More Posts by kakariki
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:12 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
Kakariki, Krafty, welcome to the diesel thread. It’s always nice to hear from other interested modelers.

Reginald, your engine collection is just amazing. That Edgar Westbury twin, the Ladybird is a really unique looking engine. How big is it? The top end looks like Mills muffins, so maybe 2 x.75 or 1.5 cc ?

Brian, I think that’s what a lot us like to do. When I was a kid, every motor I got, I just mounted it and ran it for the sake of running it. Even later in life I used to run small diesels in the basement. I piped the exhaust into a bottle of water; it kept them quiet and kept the smell down.
I’m not having much luck with diesel fuel. The starting fluid just doesn’t seem to have enough ether in it. I even tried the liquid straight from a can (not JD) and at best got only a few small “pops”. A small batch of fuel made with “pure ethyl ether” used at 33% worked ok.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:36 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,562 Posts
Yeah John, unfortunately, ether is a big problem for all of us.
I have a couple of leads to follow up to obtain ether in France but, if they don't work, I shall probably drive to the UK and come back with enough ether for the rest of my life!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:18 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,887 Posts
I found a nice exploded view of the 18 cc Lohmann bicycle diesel.....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:01 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
No ether required, larger model diesel engine coming soon ?

Gluehand, now if only they still made that small diesel. Well perhaps there is a new one coming. Buy the car, take out diesel and give the car away....you have a large model diesel engine, which probably won't need ether....

Well here's another possibility
CHINA'S NEW "LITTLE CAR" aka "THE HIGHWAY SUPPOSITORY"
Here's a one seater car that will get you back and forth to work on the cheap...
This $600 Volkswagen's car gets 258 mpg, 109.687 km/l or 0,9 liter per 100 km!!!

This $600 car is not a toy; it is ready to be released in China next year.
The single seater aero car totes VW (Volkswagen) branding.
Volkswagen did a lot of very highly protected testing of this car in Germany; it was not announced until now where the car would make its first appearance...
The car was introduced at the VW stockholders meeting as the most economical car in the world !
The initial objective of the prototype was to prove that 1 liter of fuel could deliver 100 kilometers of travel.

<>
Its Spartan interior does not sacrifice safety; the impact and roll-over protection is comparable to a GT racing cars.
The aero design proved essential to getting the desired result.
The body is 3.47 meters long and just 1.25 meters wide, and a little over a meter high.The prototype was made completely of carbon fiber and is not painted to save weight.
The power plant is a one cylinder diesel, positioned ahead of the rear axle and combined with an automatic shift controlled by a knob in the interior.
The Most Economic Car in the World will be on sale next year:
Better than Electric Car – 258 miles/gallon: IPO 2010 in Shanghai
This is a single-seat car
From conception to production: 3 years and the company is headquartered in Hamburg , Germany .
Will be selling for 4000 Yuan, equivalent to US $600..
Gas tank capacity = 1.7 gallons
Speed = 62 – 74.6 Miles/hour
Fuel efficiency = 258 miles/gallon
Travel distance with a full tank = 404 miles or 646 km !!!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,562 Posts
John, you must be old enough to remember bubble cars.
Looks like an updated remake to me...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:09 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
Yup, 1946 vintage. I can vaguely remember, what I though where strange looking little cars. Some had the head lights that looked like “eyes”. The back wheels were small and close together. The front swung open and I guess you had to “back in” to sit down. I don’t remember seeing many. Most cars “over here” back then weren’t very small. My mother did have a Morris Minor which seemed small, but could carry four people. My dad had a 49 Studebaker Starlight coup which could really fly. It had an over drive and would happily cruse at 85 mph. And I can’t remember the cost of fuel back then, but I remember back in the early 60s gasoline was 25 cents/ US gallon. Now I’m paying $1.30 + per 1 L, which I guess isn’t too bad when compared to other parts of the world.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
messerschmitt car

There was quite a few such cars at the time
Old Top Gear 1992 - Messerschmitt Bubble Cars (4 min 21 sec)

Messerschmitt Car (0 min 44 sec)
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
540 Posts
"Mate" 2 cc DIY diesel

An example of what is colloquially known as the "Czech-Mate". Twenty or so constructed from Owen Engines Australia kits by Ladislav Davidovich. Sold via Stu Richmond in the U.S. in the 1990's.
fiery is online now Find More Posts by fiery
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:21 AM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
An example of what is colloquially known as the "Czech-Mate". Twenty or so constructed from Owen Engines Australia kits by Ladislav Davidovich. Sold via Stu Richmond in the U.S. in the 1990's.
And just as a contrast with these oh-so-pristine pictures, here is my own version of the 2cc David Owen designed "Mate" after many happy flying hours. I built mine way back in 1990. The power that these can put out depends to a great extent on the internal fits and finishes. Sadly the case extrusions went out of stock many moons ago.
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Last edited by krafty; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:14 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
There was quite a few such cars at the time
Even the UK and USA got in the act! http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBw&dur=7764 http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=6884 However, they weren't diesels.
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:36 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Thank GeoffinIN for these interesting links
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:39 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,887 Posts
One of the coolest.....a Brutsch 'Mopetta'

Ok...ok....I'm going 'diesel' now....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:13 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Yeah John, unfortunately, ether is a big problem for all of us.
I have a couple of leads to follow up to obtain ether in France but, if they don't work, I shall probably drive to the UK and come back with enough ether for the rest of my life!
There's no problem buying ether from a pharmacist or drugstore over here, as long as they know what it will be used for.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
If you supply a suitable fuel container with the oil and kero already in it and ask for them to add the ether would that be permitted ? you may have to try an industrial chemist,a few phone calls may be needed.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod