HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,406 Posts
So i remaidened my "new" ember. I put three batteries through it, and it went awesome! That j-3 motor really gives it the extra power it needs.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
So i remaidened my "new" ember. I put three batteries through it, and it went awesome! That j-3 motor really gives it the extra power it needs.
Congrats! I have yet to convert one of my Embers to the J-3 motor. Looks like I need to get on that project. I've been working on other people's planes, lately.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,948 Posts

Are you saying there isn't a single J3-Cub motor in here.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Congrats! I have yet to convert one of my Embers to the J-3 motor. Looks like I need to get on that project. I've been working on other people's planes, lately.

RD
Pfft, other peoples planes. Just smash them and give them back saying "you crashed this one a little too hard my friend...i think its about time...".

Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
TODD
I agree!
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:12 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
TODD
Actually, there are two or three J-3 motors on the spares board. No real excuse here, just semi-lazy. I'll get to it................soon, I hope.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Actually, there are two or three J-3 motors on the spares board. No real excuse here, just semi-lazy. I'll get to it................soon, I hope.

RD
Flew the Ember this morning and because of the fog kept her low and played around. Beads of moisture on the tires and wing. For the first time had the nerve to do a slowww pass between the legs and keep going Luckily, can't get too high in that passage...

Alright Doug, I get the message and you know my motors have just arrived, without pinion gears, thank you.(post 1308) The installation of the J-3 motor does indeed have a difficulty rating of 103 on the OHNO scale so send me one of your many planes, and 5 pinion gears and I'll install one for you. You simply have to experience the upgrade.

PS J(letter 10 in the alphabet) + 3 = 103; hence J-3
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Last edited by Airhead600cc; Sep 15, 2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:03 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
For the first time had the nerve to do a slowww pass between the legs and keep going Luckily, can't get too high in that passage...
Well, if you have the cajones....................

OHNO

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug sipprell View Post
well, if you have the cajones....................

ohno

Rd
oh #%***!# no!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:49 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Things are slow, even for an Ember

The weather has been snotty lately but it's cleared and I had a few really nice flights. You know, 10 seconds is an awfully long time when you lose sight of it! For a lark, I used a bunch of the batteries I tend to neglect when filling my pocket and heading out to the yard. I figured I'd bring them down to storage voltage for the winter. You know, those 70 mAh batteries really shouldn't be supplied with the Ember any more. It's not because I have the J-3 motor in place but that there are SO MANY other better batteries now that really don't cost much. Witness DS's trans-continental flights. Even the E-Flite 120 or 130s would be no more expensive. Perish the thought- supply two or three. If the goal was to charge arguably more for the plane than it's probably worth and then wait for more riches to pour in with battery sales; FAIL. Why not enhance the buying and flying experience package? I know, I know - a buck's a buck I had nothing to rant about today - it's sunny and the flying is easy!

Also, not that I use it anymore, has anyone modified the stock battery charger, such as it is, to be flatter for pocket-ability?

BTW Install the J-3 yet, Doug?

Finally, as this is my 150th post I'd like to thank all the fine folks here with their great stories and helpful advice.

Chris
Last edited by Airhead600cc; Sep 25, 2012 at 07:52 AM. Reason: I woke up
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:37 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
BTW Install the J-3 yet, Doug?

Chris
Working on it............

Actually, been more involved with UM Mustang #2, with the Bravo alternate motor, and of course front-and-center right now is the UMX MiG 15. Almost as easy to fly as the Ember, but light-years ahead in speed!

BTW: Speaking of better batteries for the Ember, I find the MiniAviation 190's fit just fine, balance out well, and provide plenty of flying time, 22-24 minutes the norm. Good thing I have lights on both Ember 2's, as I usually don't fly them until after 7:00 PM. "Red Right Returning" is the rule!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Working on it............

Actually, been more involved with UM Mustang #2, with the Bravo alternate motor, and of course front-and-center right now is the UMX MiG 15. Almost as easy to fly as the Ember, but light-years ahead in speed!
D, I looked and looked at the MiG but couldn't wrap my head around the price?? Maybe after a long winter.
And, about all that Mustang and MiG speed talk - I said it before; "You can hang out with those fast girls but you'll be back for some slow lovin' sailor"

Quote:
BTW: Speaking of better batteries for the Ember, I find the MiniAviation 190's fit just fine, balance out well, and provide plenty of flying time, 22-24 minutes the norm. Good thing I have lights on both Ember 2's, as I usually don't fly them until after 7:00 PM. "Red Right Returning" is the rule!
RD
I'm loving those MA190s and I you're right - they fit, balance, and work, especially with the J-3

Chris
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
D, I looked and looked at the MiG but couldn't wrap my head around the price?? Maybe after a long winter.
Chris
Yes, the MiG is getting top buck right now. They (a couple of vendors) at E-Nall had them on sale. I also balked at the $170 price tag when I got mine, but having just flown one, I was hooked. Thus far, a winner, but like a fine bottle of wine, a bit on the expensive side.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
On Monday evening, just before sundown, I noticed the wind was at almost zero, so I took my Ember 2 out in front of the house, just to test it out ... not really a maiden flight. There's not a lot of open space, with two huge Oak trees and lots of Palms, bushes ect.
I've been waitng patiently for my knee to feel up to going out flying and just could'nt resist a quick test, everything was going great and I'd made a few low and slow circuts then nosed in on the grass, no problem, but the battery must have moved a bit and when I launched again it did'nt feel the same, needless to say she nose dived onto the concrete driveway from about 15 -20 feet up and broke the propshaft.
I had some spare parts on hand and she is all ready to go again, correct CG and all. I found the carbon shaft behind the gearbox was kind of splintered (mushy) so I cut it off ", found a matching piece from an old trashed heli and added 1 1/2", the square carbon frame has a small hole through the center so I epoxied a section of piano wire to join them together, made a new battery mount and also used a small bit of plastic tube on the new prop shaft, the prop is screwed on past the thread so it just sticks out the front of the prop a tiny bit.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Last edited by caymin last; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
I miss my Ember.........
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:40 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Caymin Last:

Great looking mods, and even better looking Ember. Other than flying my Embers indoors, I fly my Embers "way out there" when flying from my own Aerodrome. I have to clear the pine trees, and some are pushing 70 feet in height!

Good luck with your Mini-Stick Ember.............

RD
RCG Plus Member