HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:36 PM
United States, FL, Lady Lake
Joined Oct 2013
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
Side launch, about 60% throttle (heavy Phantom with 17,000 mah 3s aboard). I aim for just above the horizon and she will fly-off without any fall or nose-down. I know a lot of people do the overhead toss with throttle but I'm afraid of whacking my fingers...

I kept watching that over and over.... How effortlessly your technique looked... Like a pro golfer effortlessly swung at the ball...
Modglock20 is offline Find More Posts by Modglock20
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:41 PM
United States, FL, Lady Lake
Joined Oct 2013
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFlight View Post
I do sidearm launch with elevons up about 4 mm with full power applied before. A gentle push toward the horizon, not really up by much. I have the stock motor on 3S and a 10x6 folding prop.
Looks like an effortless push as well... I've seen people throwing frisbees harder than that. Nice!
Modglock20 is offline Find More Posts by Modglock20
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:56 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Aug 2013
259 Posts
I just toss it overhand at about a 45 angle at full power and get my hand on the stick to adjust as it climbs out... Neck strap for the x-mitter helps a lot..
Kodama is offline Find More Posts by Kodama
Old Sep 01, 2014, 02:20 AM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len02013 View Post
Nicework Mel i reckon you'll overtake my range soon.

I think i need new batterys

Actually anyone know of a good spot to get li-ion batteries?
Hey, thanks Len! It's been a fun time slowly building-up the mileage and sure is nice when everything comes together (as you know)!

I really want to give the Panasonic's a try but need to talk more with you or Chris to get a better idea of what to expect from them. Till then, I'm using Zippy transmitter packs which are a nice weight savings as compared to regular lipos but not quite on-par with the 18650's. I did my calcs after the flight and am definitely good for about 45 miles but anything beyond that will have to wait till I make some new packs myself. Ah well... slow but sure... You'll probably better your PB before I even get close

Mel
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modglock20 View Post
I kept watching that over and over.... How effortlessly your technique looked... Like a pro golfer effortlessly swung at the ball...
Thanks Modglock! In reality, I can't take the credit, though.... The Phantom really makes it look easy! I won't name names but I have a few other big FPV wings that are just about impossible for me to get up in the air unless I launch from a big hill
melsailsnorth is online now Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Joined Nov 2012
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
After (ab)using two phantoms (last one with video and stuff here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3646), i decided to take third. Purchased v2 kit and put electronics and stuff as tested and working on earlier models. Fixed many issues i had earlier...
Sooo... Now:
- even more space for batts (16Ah 4S fits easily, that's ~20Ah in 3S batts)
- the same power setup (SK3 1200kV/10x5" graupner slowfly/simonk trust45A) - works very well (slightly more than 1KW output and very efficient)
- slightly lower weight (less stuff, less spars, but even lower strength, so Vne is less than 120km/h, need to be carefull)
- non-removable wings, everything soldered if possible - max reliability, max component separation - minimum noise onboard, minimum flexy parts.

I still don't think if i go high (my previous record is 5km altitude), if yes - plane needs many improvements. For now... Cruising around in 20km radius ;-)

Few pics:
- remains from older plane, salvaged from fields...

...now even better cutout for battz (+ few millimeters to each side)

Top side:

LED's hidden in foam. Turnstile with balun going top:
WOW... and I thought I crashed my phantom good. I'm impressed. Have you tried a laminated EPP wing like the juggernaut or something from CTH? They are much tougher.
benjahmon is offline Find More Posts by benjahmon
Old Today, 01:13 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjahmon View Post
They are much tougher.
I do not need strong wing - need it to be strong and easily serviceable.
Going straight down at 150km/h is a mistake which should be avoided...
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas