SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2011
44 Posts
Discussion
Soling 1m repair

My Soling 1m took a bad tumble today, and has cracks in the hull below the keel. Any good ideas on how to repair this..My favorite boat.
I thought about glueing a sheet of .015 plastic inside the hull over the cracked area, then filling from the outside. Watcha think?
N5RMQ is offline Find More Posts by N5RMQ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
556 Posts
I have repaired a couple of Soling's by using light glass cloth, 1/2 once, and epoxy resin (West System) on the inside. Make sure to sand the surface you are going to glue and then keep it clean before applying the resin. If you put tape on the outside of the hull over the cracks the resin will fill the gap and leave you a surface on the outside that you can sand and finish. Maybe with a little filler added if the surface is fully filled.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined May 2011
44 Posts
I have often thought of glassing the whole hull. I can't think of anythig better than a glass Soling. I love the design, the looks, the handling and speed, but that plastic is horrible. Here in South Texas I am afraid to leave mine in the back of my car in fear thst it would melt.
N5RMQ is offline Find More Posts by N5RMQ
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:39 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
Fiberglass mat and resin will do the trick. The hull will be stronger once the repairs are completed. I suggest a little practice before actually making the repairs. Get to know how the materials and cure time. Set up your work area ahead of time with everything you will need to insure a smooth process.
Try repair a large soda bottle or something similar to get used to working with the fiberglass matting and resin. That will give some confidence when you begin the actual repairs.
Fiberglass is really a user friendly product, but it does take a little practice to be really good at it. Youtube should have a number of How to videos to watch - before starting.
Good luck
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
The S1M is made of polystyrene, one of the quickest plastics to decay. If you race the boat, weighing it down with crack repairs isn't going to keep you competitive.
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
613 Posts
:Could you use it as a mold?
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:49 AM
benndave
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2007
73 Posts
Soling repair

How old is the boat? If the damage is large, and you would like to do an up-date on your boat to make it all new again, then the answer could lie with Victor. They sell a hull and deck separatly. You could use all the rest from your Soling.
benndave is offline Find More Posts by benndave
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,156 Posts
If racing competitively - then "Benndave" has the best answer. If racing only local (low key) or not racing, then a layer of 4 oz. cloth as suggested is best. No need for Mat - just cloth
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
556 Posts
A few years ago they voted on and now allow boats without bulkheads, when that happened a bunch of guys built boats that had carbon fiber and or fiberglass cloth (not mat) in place of the bulkheads. I saw several boats with a lot of glass cloth inside them and since they came out close to minimum weight they were competitive at the highest levels.

It does not take a thick and heavy glass cloth to fix those boats, I repaired several with one or two layers of 1/2 once depending on how big the crack was.
TedFlack is offline Find More Posts by TedFlack
Last edited by TedFlack; Dec 30, 2012 at 02:20 PM.