Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchalfant View Post
And we want to see your build, too! :-)
My Kilo? Sure.

Still looking for a hobby shop carrying the type xxiii. Might try looking for one in Singapore when we go this April.
redboat219 is online now Find More Posts by redboat219
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:26 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
To please you guys i made a vid on my XXIII build to the point where i'm now, if you want detailed pics, just ask, enjoy

Bronco XXIII part 1 (9 min 43 sec)

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:51 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFR View Post
To please you guys i made a vid on my XXIII build to the point where i'm now, if you want detailed pics, just ask, enjoy

Manfred.
consider me asking...

i always find your builds interesting
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:06 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
No problem Tsenegal,

i'll show the pics in this thread, so we have all the info about the XXIII at one place.
I also did something else today, i tagged the rear unit with CA and taped the boat together, allowing me to give a little demonstration how my splitting system will work, enjoy.

Bronco XXIII part 2 (4 min 58 sec)

Manfred.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:55 AM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
Really nice job Manfred!

Can you please show pictures of the magnet placement and size for ones that join the hull halves together? And I guess also a closeup of where the drive shaft connects?
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:35 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Oh boy, this is going to be a long story, buckle up and enjoy.

This was my first move, designing and building the rear unit accourding to the original drawings.
Deflection of the rudder is about 25 degrees in both directions.

Dryfitting the rear unit inside the hull, actually i'm testing the steering for the dive planes.

These bulkheads are the soul of my system, made them before i had the SD i'm using.

After the SD had arrived i could cut out the diameter i needed for placing the SD inside.

A peek inside the frontpart, the bulkhead is still virgin.

After some time i was ready to test my vertical split system using magnets, at this picture both halves are connected.

The first step in seperating the hull parts, i've used a jewellers saw to seperate the exhaust from the tower.

Once both halves are seperated you can pull out your SD.

Those are the magnets i'm using, in the past i ordered some neodyne 10 mm magnets for my OSA 2 rocketboat, stacked them up, and gladly discovered them again.

This section of my boat is equally important, the middle brass part connects the shaft from the SD to the popellorshaft, connecting the steeringrods happens by another set of smaller magnets.

Here i've seperated the SD from the drivingshaft and the steeringrods, at the SD you can see the magnetic couplers from the steeringrods.

Last picture for now, at this point i'm now, rebuilded the SD to my specs, and made provisions for using the SAS float.
All work shown i've done last few months, from the moment i had my XXIII i went into overdrive, this model wants to be RC'd, the guys at Bronco did a fine job offering such a model at this scale.

Manfred.
Last edited by MFR; Mar 31, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:20 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
So you have 10mm magnets on each side of the hull halves. I see them in the last picture. And the drive shaft for the propeller, each half of the rod is a semicircle and they meet and align within the coupler which is solder to the propeller shaft. KInda what I thought, but nice to see what you actually did. Nice job again. I like it!
Old Apr 01, 2013, 04:52 AM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
821 Posts
Very nice job. Dave.
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:26 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
manfred, what kind of glue are you using to attach the magnets to your copper plating?
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:56 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Ken,

I wanted to have a simple solution, most time took, making the receiving part on the propellorshaft, to match both semi circles it's best to keep the boat on the tail and turn the prop untill both halves lock.

Thanks Dave,

This probably will be the first sub which is hold together by magnets only.

Tsenegal,

When lining those magnets up i used CA, that copper you mentioned is actually circuitboard, for getting a good adhesive surface i have to remove the copper layer with my dremel grinder.
Using 2K glue will finish up the job, i didn't want to do that earlier, because with using CA only i could break them free and re adjust the magnets when needed.

Manfred.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:57 AM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
827 Posts
Subdave are you going to do a conversion project on this boat too? Would be nice to see another master's work.
redboat219 is online now Find More Posts by redboat219
Old Apr 02, 2013, 12:49 PM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
821 Posts
Yes, I plan too when I can get to it.
I have one of the kits already.
Should be a straightforward build.
Just not sure how I want the hull opened up.
I like the center split like I did on my Seaview, and Manfred did on his 23.
I hate to cut up good plastic to get the cylinder in. Dave.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:22 AM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
821 Posts
Manfred.
Will you make your port and starboard hull sections detachable in your rear hull?
Or will they be perminatily bonded with the brass control parts inside?
Just curious.
I like to make all my mechanics removable if I can.
Any updates in your build. Dave.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:43 PM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Dave,

Like you, i want to have access to all moving parts, i have some plans to make splitting the hull parts easy without much damage, have to refine that idea.
If this won't be practical i'll bond them together, the parts inside are made in such way that maintenance will be low.

As for the update,

I'm playing around with the torpedo doors, had to find a way to make them open and close completely mechanical, without using a spring to keep them shut, also did some work on rebuilding the styrene tubes to adapt them for my electric torpedo's.

Allready added some brass parts to the tubes, for now they are fixaded with CA, so i can break them loose when i want to change something.

As for the doors, i first replaced the styrene hinge parts for some brass tubing.

Lined up the door, and glued in the new brass hinge.

I came up with this, a rotating circle with a pin attached to the door, in closed position it's pushing against the door, keeping it shut.

Turning the circle clockwise will pull open the door.

Took one of my electric torpedo's to see if i've got enough clearence, the door has to be pulled open across the centerline to give me enough room, so firing two torpedo's at once will not be possible, there is simply not enough room to make this happen.

For now i'm refining the mechanics for opening both doors, it's a slow process with lot's of testing and building, it will take time to make it work.

Manfred.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:21 PM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
If RCGroups had like buttons in threads, I'd be clicking it Manfred!

I have something brewing in my mind but it just doesn't want to come out. How bout if you had a pin on each door near the back. Have two slotted slides, one attached to each door pin and the other end of both meeting on the centerline and those ends would be joined at a pivot point. You would need a fore and aft slot in that PCB platform below the tubes. If you use a push rod from a servo below the platform, have a connector go up through the PCB platform and join the slotted slides. When the push rod goes forward, it causes pivot slides to move forward and then the doors will open. You might need some supports or guides here or there. That's as best I can do on a description. But it opens both doors and not sure if you would have enough room for the torpedoes to exit.

Did up a quickie diagram. As the pushrod moves forward it causes the slides to come together in the rear causing the doors to open. At least in theory. You would need to experiment with it to get it to work properly. A are the pins attached to the rear of each door. B is the sliding pin coming up from the pushrod. The slides are slotted to allow the pin to move freely.

You might also need a pin forward of each slotted slide so that as they move forward they move through the opening of the two pins, which will force the ends at the doors to move towards the centerline. And due to the slot, might need a spring or something to help return these slides to the rear or closed position. I can add that to the picture if you cannot visualize it.
Last edited by ken_nj; Apr 13, 2013 at 05:27 AM.