to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:12 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroengineer1 View Post
inches->mm = inches*25.4
Yup I know that!! its the fractions that do my head in!! (ie: converting fractions to metric.....)

I am not good at math.. (I am ok as long as my trust calculator is handy)

Cheers Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:27 AM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
the easiest conversion is to get a ruler that is "standard" and also metric. then you can find yourlength on one scale and look accross the ruler for your metric equivilant
Greg W is offline Find More Posts by Greg W
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:29 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
432 Posts
Bruce,
I like using millimeters in my builds, but if you are using the sub-driver, it will be important to stay with the inches because of the push rods going into the WTC. They are 1/16th of an inch (1.6mm), but metric rods would be 1.5mm so you would have some slop there. Manfred is dealing with this on his type XXIII.
I think the suggestion for a ruler and/or add a digital caliper will serve you well in your build. If you have not already visited my build, it may help if you are going to build the Skipjack. http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...Skipjack-Build
I will be glad to help and answer questions.
Peace,
tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Sep 30, 2013, 04:36 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
Thanks Tom and Greg!!

I have been reading your build Tom, always helpful to see how someone else has assembled the same hull.

Cheers Bruce
Old Sep 30, 2013, 04:13 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
there are a few pics of my skipjack at http://www.subcommittee.com/phpBB3/v...p?f=35&t=11558 I used the merriman fittings kit but a Dave Welch cylinder. the kit and fittings set were given to me as a project. I did a few things different from the instructions from Merriman and in hind sight I would have moved the stern z cut further back if I had waited for the cylinder ( but I was impatient)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
432 Posts
Greg,

I love it! I have a Big Dave unit for a Type VII that I will build out soon.
There is a little more servo pushrod work I need to accomplish (sail dive plane), but it will be getting to the point of trimming very soon. I am excited.

Have you trimmed it yet? Pictures?

Peace,
Tom
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:38 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
Here are a couple of shots from Carmel. I trimmed it out locally in a pool , but I took it to Carmel in august it was off a little bit. FYI my sail planes are not connected to a servo. The guys I run with (including Big Dave), tend to not use them.We start our indoor season next month and I will do more trimming then. I have been nervous about running in the pond we use until I get more familiar with it. I just ordered a pitch controller to add to it and I am going to increase to a 3s battery system as opposed to the current 2s. I am one of those guys that like to have emergency speed just in case. she still needs her draft markings and such put on so she's not quite done yet
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:44 PM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
Here are a couple more shots from Carmel.She was running good, The cylinder is a "beta" test unit from BD . it is his uni 2.5 system not in production yet but he says "soon".
Old Oct 01, 2013, 05:31 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,370 Posts
I love your pond that is sweet !! So clean.....No Ducks??

Bruce
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:12 AM
Rochester,NY
Joined Apr 2007
283 Posts
Well thats not the normal pond for our grroup. That is one of the ponds the Indy Admirals use. It's the reflecting pond in Carmel Indiana where the subcommittee has been holding it's annual regatta. there are geese and ducks but they tend to stay away. The pond is concrete and was just repainted last spring. The water is only a couple feet deep so you can't loose anything. I'll try to post some pics that our group uses later. Greg
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
432 Posts
Greg,
Very nice. I am putting 11.1v in my sub. Your sub looks great.
Peace,
Tom
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
432 Posts
Did a pool test of my Skipjack. This sub is fun! No really fun! No like I cannot think of a description fun!

My son (9) was in the pool taking video, there maybe a little shake in the footage.
If you are thinking of building your own sub, I recommend this model, Sub-Driver, fittings kit, MicroGyros ESC and leveler!
Skipjack build pool test (3 min 16 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2013, 03:59 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Very nice sub!
I'm in the swimming pool industry and know why your pool water is not clear.
Check your pool water with a total dissolved solids meter.
It should be less than 500ppm.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
432 Posts
Thank you! I appreciate your heart to help out. It is my grandmother's retirement complex pool. They just had it repaired and re-filled. There was a lot of diatomaceous earth settled on the bottom. So not sure what was done.