HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:03 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
this program wasn't meant to be "teh ultimate gui flashing tool evur" but i can do the fuse part.

on one side i have people asking for more features, then when i release it the noobs complain because they are confused.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
yes well I sugest a separate window, with a popup saying you MUST know what you are doing ....if not leave them like they are, it will work

then again if you know what you do you should be able to do them from command line
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
this program wasn't meant to be "teh ultimate gui flashing tool evur" but i can do the fuse part.

on one side i have people asking for more features, then when i release it the noobs complain because they are confused.
We are a demanding lot, aren't we.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
Simon I have been using the 12/31 bs firmware on 6A esc and overall they perform ok but wondering if you had an idea about small problem. If you slowly raise throttle say to lift off rpm they then track throttle no problem smooth response through out range. If you go from off state immediately to 1/3 to 1/2 throttle they unsync. If you lay finger against bell and slowly apply throttle they unsync. Once free spinning they never seem to have a problem and do fine. Any ideas?
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
19 Posts
Hello everyone
I will try to update 4 ESCS Blueseries 20A HK tomorrow. I have been following this topic for some time but never had the courage to try. Well, the day came. I wonder if i need to change fuses or only do upload the new firmware.
Must i feed the esc with a controlled current source, or only connect the 6 wires usbasp is enough ?. Have i keep a motor connected?
thanks
paulovisk is offline Find More Posts by paulovisk
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:37 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
Just got through flashing all four of my proton 30's from HobbyPartz, all went well and they all seem to work. Thanks everyone! BTW, still can't get Chatch's program to work... locks up now. I used eXteme burner AVR, just opened the hex file and clicked on "write". Even tried one of my RCTimer 10amp... worked great, looking forward to trying them in the air.
Running with Simonk tgy firmware (0 min 48 sec)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:38 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulovisk View Post
Hello everyone
I will try to update 4 ESCS Blueseries 20A HK tomorrow. I have been following this topic for some time but never had the courage to try. Well, the day came. I wonder if i need to change fuses or only do upload the new firmware.
Must i feed the esc with a controlled current source, or only connect the 6 wires usbasp is enough ?. Have i keep a motor connected?
thanks
I used only the six wires of the programmer, mine does supply 5v from USB however.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:05 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Often you find lot of info in the first post of a thread.
The esc needs power, best is via the power cables so the onboard voltage regulator/ bec is feeding the mcw, with the motors connected (remove props), you will have the beeps, but without is of coarse possible.
manu
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulovisk View Post
Hello everyone
thanks
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:03 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, coast
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
BTW, still can't get Chatch's program to work... locks up now.
Yep, small issue, he's pretty busy implementing all our demands. I'm pretty sure the result will be an awesome great simple interface!
berkely is offline Find More Posts by berkely
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:59 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Could you not implement a PID cloded loop?...
Yes, but the flight controller already tries to implement its own closed loop, so I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have ESC doing another closed loop. It would probably have two resonant frequencies and thus be more difficult to tune. Perhaps somebody else could chime in here with more experience in that area.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:10 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Simon I have been using the 12/31 bs firmware on 6A esc and overall they perform ok but wondering if you had an idea about small problem. If you slowly raise throttle say to lift off rpm they then track throttle no problem smooth response through out range. If you go from off state immediately to 1/3 to 1/2 throttle they unsync. If you lay finger against bell and slowly apply throttle they unsync. Once free spinning they never seem to have a problem and do fine. Any ideas?
Which motors? The 6A ESCs had some problems before where I had tuned PWM-aligned comparator sampling for larger boards and this made them miss entirely. That code has all since been replaced with dynamic filtering lengths, but perhaps the smaller gate charge is still causing a difference with them.

By "unsync", do you mean it just screams and doesn't start or does it spin but aligned to a harmonic? I am seeing the screaming when starting a hard drive with platters sometimes, and if it's that same issue, it can probably be fixed. The issue is that we have to have a wide open zero crossing window while starting because we have no idea if the motor is already spinning or any idea of the mass, coggyness, KV, voltage, etc. So, sometimes we can get fooled by the demagnetization spikes and end up thinking we're running it while instead we're just commutating on a magnetization harmonic. Once we've aligned properly, the zero-cross blanking window prevents this from being a problem.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:03 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
I was meant the break (reverse direction) implementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Yes, but the flight controller already tries to implement its own closed loop, so I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have ESC doing another closed loop. It would probably have two resonant frequencies and thus be more difficult to tune. Perhaps somebody else could chime in here with more experience in that area.
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:45 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
@Simon
In afro.inc there is a typo, Line 126 is
; PORT B definitions *
should be
; PORT D definitions *
I know it is only a comment and will make no change
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:39 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
961 Posts
The majority of ESC's do not use a closed loop controller they are open loop. Some of the high end ESC's are using an inner current loop so that they can drive the ESC and motor as hard as possible up to current limit. The outer loop is a speed controller using some sort of speed feedback. The two loops have to be tuned although as the current loop is inherently faster than the speed loop this is not a problem.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Aug 2002
728 Posts
Quick question - I use the AeroQuad code for my multicopters. PWMs are generated via timers, and set from 1000 uSec to 2000 uSec. I would imagine they are fairly accurate.

Given that would it make sense to extend the high and low PWM limits to say within 10-20 uSec of 1000 and 2000 uSec? Would this give any better resolution? What are the drawbacks if any to doing so?

Thanks in advance!
jihlein is offline Find More Posts by jihlein