HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2001, 11:09 PM
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Joined Oct 2001
7 Posts
How do I waterproof a Wingo?

I recently ordered a wingo with floats, and I plan on flying it mostly in water, since I live on a lake. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to waterproof it, and also what happens to the electronic parts if they get wet? I was also wondering about how long does it take to charge up a battery, like an 8 cell 500AR NiCad with a 12v charger? Does anyone have any tips for taking off and landing in the water? Thanks for all the help!
Lanceh007 is offline Find More Posts by Lanceh007
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2001, 11:12 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,123 Posts
007:

If you search for "wingo" and "floats," you should find some threads where your questions are answered.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Oct 22, 2001, 09:16 AM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
Zip It!

Asked my wife for some plastic bags. Sandwich bags are the right size to slip over the front, but to fragile... when you tug they tear. Then she came up with a zip lock. Snug but, I was able to slide it up with some tugging. I folded the leading edge into a pointed envelope fold and taped it. Then I used a rubberband at the open end to snug and privide me with more security.

This was my first flights... just got the floats in the mail.

Suggestions:
Add about six steps of down trim... Yes down trim, not up. If you don't have enough it will porpoise on you. It will then take some elevator to pop it off the water. If you have the gear drive it will snap off the water in about 10 feet with nicads, longer with Nimh's. No more than about 5mph of wind or you will have trouble getting it back... flies very slowly with floats. Land and take off ONLY into the wind, a gimme. Set Wingo in the water and it will aim itself into the wind exactly. Land with power and it is capable of some great landings. Without power is possible, but much more likely of a more vertical landing.

I've got 8 packs through mine with floats. Wind gusts tonight and tomorrow to 60mph in Boise, Id so will repair and build planes for a while. The only thing I don't like about this plane is that you have to put in so much left trim to compensate for motor torque that when you lay off the power to come down, it wants to go into a fairly tight left pattern, so it is constant right stick while coming in for a landing.

I had a Sunny Boy on floats and could barely get it off the water, and took forever to climb. Wingo with a gear drive will amaze you. I have a lake just 200 feet from my house so Wingo is a dream come true. It was really tight to turn between trees and houses with Sunny Boy.
Tim Seidenstricker is offline Find More Posts by Tim Seidenstricker